The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 1
It is... you'll need to get in touch with your personal/senior tutor ASAP so they can tell you how feasible it is. It will be dependant on the entry conditions for English and whether they have any space though.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Do it before A-Level results day. I switched from Neuroscience to Art History and I only asked to switch about a week before my May exams. That was in 2006. Now I'm loving my course. Seriously, switch if you don't like your course. It's a complete nightmare being stuck in a course you hate/dislike. Get in touch with your tutor and with the dept you wanna switch over to and ask for an interview. Check out English dept's requirements - do you have their basic A-Level requirements? If you do, you're qualified to enter the course. What you got at the end of your first year would matter, because American Studies and English Studies are related. Given English's popularity, I'd imagine you want quite high marks in your first year.

Anyway, first thing's first - email the English dept, and second, email your tutor. They'll take you through the possibilities and details. It all depends if the English dept would give you an interview. When I switched, I'd already tried to sell myself via the emails I sent them, actually. Dunno whether it helped, but I suggest selling yourself in every way possible to get onto the course, as Eng is very competitive.
Reply 3
Pete is right - tell your tutor ASAP.

Obviously, if you've done well in your first year then it will be easier to change...and you will probably still need the A level requirements that English would normally ask for.
Reply 4
You'll most probably need AAB at A level with an A in English. For applicants they stipulate a 6A at GCSE requirement as well, but they might not be so worried about that with you. xx
Reply 5
They will never let you enter year 2 of English. I asked whether it would be possible to switch to American Studies and English joint honors after semester one and it wasn't because I'd missed the sem 1 English modules and because English was full,as it generally is. I only wanted to switch to get rid of the 20 credit history modules lol But it was a phase, I'm glad I didn't switch now because my friend is doing the joint honors course and the English modules you have to do seem very lame to me.
What do you not like about American Studies?
And how come your profile says Bristol uni?? lol
Anyway, they MIGHT let you enter year one of English, although I'd imagine that would be full too.. But they might make an exception. My guess is not a chance at going into second year!

Latest