The Student Room Group

2:1 BA, what are my chances?

After reading some of these threads, I am pretty disheartened about my chances.
I didn't do A Levels, I did a National Diploma in Art and then a BA in Photography and finished with a 2:1.
I've worked in a magnitude of care settings, except a hospital, which I am looking for a placement. Am also considering a placement for a hospital experience abroad with Gap Medics or something similar.
I'm sitting the UKCAT next month, which as it stands I feel quietly confident about.
Just wondering if there is anyone else in my situation, or any current medicine students have a similar background and how did they find the whole process?
Any advice or just general peppyness would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
Don't be disheartened because not all universities look at a levels; Warwick, Newcastle, Nottingham, SGUL and Swansea. The last three schools I listed expect you to do the gamsat. Can you do the gamsat to increase your options?

I am also a first time applicant from a non science background (last time i did a science subject was gcse bio a long time ago). But i am still sorting my work experience so unlikely to be successful this year.

Wrt experience, from what i have read, it doesn't have to be a hospital. Of course, if you can get some hospital experience that's even better.
Reply 2
Original post by dr_2b
Don't be disheartened because not all universities look at a levels; Warwick, Newcastle, Nottingham, SGUL and Swansea. The last three schools I listed expect you to do the gamsat. Can you do the gamsat to increase your options?

I am also a first time applicant from a non science background (last time i did a science subject was gcse bio a long time ago). But i am still sorting my work experience so unlikely to be successful this year.

Wrt experience, from what i have read, it doesn't have to be a hospital. Of course, if you can get some hospital experience that's even better.

Warwick is my top choice, then Nottingham. As both are commutable from home. I'd rather stay at home so I don't have to worry about everything else!
I'm hoping to do the gamsat too!

I haven't had any science exposure since GCSE either, so about 10 years! My experience is pretty much every care setting except a hospital, but hoping to sort something with a friend of a friend. What kind of experience have you got, and where are you thinking of applying?

Good luck!
Reply 3
Thank you. I have some eldery care experience but probably not enough with my full time job (Warwick, surprisingly, specify the number of hours-70). My top choice is Warwick too :smile: with Nottingham, SGUL and Swansea/Newcastle in that order.

I'm hoping this year's application will be a taster and next year will be the 'real thing'...unless by a miracle I do get in.

I've applied to volunteer to several places to gain more experience but the application process is a little slow. So that's why I am not too worried about this year's application.

Good luck to you too! :smile: I hope you get your first choice. Warwick is a lovely campus (i did my first degree there).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending