The Student Room Group

Simple Flaw in EU Referendum Losers Petition

The bitter Bremainers want a 75% turnout (with 60% share) for the result to be valid. That incentivises "status quo" (IN) supporters to not actually vote, because turnout wouldn't be high enough for the result to stand. It makes a complete mockery of democracy.

Anyone on the dark side have any response to this?

P.S. I'm still not entirely sure why people are so angry. We've made a great decision, and must stick with it.

Scroll to see replies

The kind of people who are protesting against the decision are the same kind of people who protested the tories getting in (although they at least did that under the guise that it was an anti-austerity protest). They are whining children who want everything their way, and they are totalitarians. It's incredible how brazen they have been about exposing their totalitarianism after this election. Calling for old people to not be allowed to vote, saying that everyone who voted leave was poorly educated (i.e working class) and not worthy of having an opinion, and of course saying that we should only leave if less than 40% of people agree with them (clearly they view their votes and opinions at least 10% more valuable than leave voters). Really amazingly blatent stuff, but I'm sure they'll still roll their eyes at being accused of being totalitarian.
(edited 7 years ago)
An offer to those wanting a second referendum :

Rather than have another referendum,
why not just convince the current government to postpone article 50 ?

We are after all, in the EU for the next 3 months. The referendum is not legally binding, and they can in theory just ignore it.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice. When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never".
Original post by KingBradly
everyone who voted leave was poorly educated (i.e working class) and not worthy of having an opinion.

Lol.

I like how Brexit voters don't like to be associated with the Working class or the those without degrees.

Yes, it is a fact that people with poor educations or little money voted for Brexit.

What difference does it make to them? They are still going to be poor in 5 years and they need someone to blame. It doesn't matter if the rest of the country is poorer as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by democracyforum
[
For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice. When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never".

Lol. The reason why the leadership is a poison chalice is because they made promises that they cannot keep. They are not going to increase investment anywhere.
"The Tory leadership is a poisoned chalice".

No it isn't. There are already 7 competitors, and the winner has the greatest opportunity to positively shape the country for decades.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Lol.

I like how Brexit voters don't like to be associated with the Working class or the those without degrees.

Yes, it is a fact that people with poor educations or little money voted for Brexit.

What difference does it make to them? They are still going to be poor in 5 years and they need someone to blame. It doesn't matter if the rest of the country is poorer as well.

You've shown that you're so entrenched in your prejudice that you've projected it onto me. In fact, I certainly don't have a problem with being associated with the working class. I have a problem with the opinions of the working class being discredited and dismissed. I think it's disgraceful the way I've heard leave voters say that the working class have been 'mislead', or 'hoodwinked', it's amazingly condescending. Some are yet more brazen, with a user on here accusing some leavers of only having a single GCSE, as if how many GCSEs one has somehow discredits how they feel about the direction their country is going in, or says anything about the validity of their opinions. Also, people such as yourself should learn that intelligence does not just mean sharing your opinions, or a common background or lifestyle. It's an incredibly arrogant perspective.
Original post by KingBradly
I think it's disgraceful the way I've heard leave voters say that the working class have been 'mislead', or 'hoodwinked', it's amazingly condescending. Some are yet more brazen, with a user on here accusing some leavers of only having a single GCSE, as if how many GCSEs one has somehow discredits how they feel about the direction their country is going in, or says anything about the validity of their opinions. Also, people such as yourself should learn that intelligence does not just mean sharing your opinions, or a common background or lifestyle. It's an incredibly arrogant perspective.

Not really. Leavers are more likely to have a single GCSE or have no higher education. Those are simply facts.

I understand that they "feel" racist and etc. That isn't my issue.

The areas that voted Brexit are the areas that received the most EU funding anyway. Are they going to get that money back? No.

So, they were hoodwinked or whatever you want to say..
Reply 8
Original post by Lanterne Rouge
The bitter Bremainers want a 75% turnout (with 60% share) for the result to be valid. That incentivises "status quo" (IN) supporters to not actually vote, because turnout wouldn't be high enough for the result to stand. It makes a complete mockery of democracy.

Anyone on the dark side have any response to this?

P.S. I'm still not entirely sure why people are so angry. We've made a great decision, and must stick with it.

If you voted leave because of immigration, immigration isn't going to change. All that will happen is people's pensions will be trashed and holidays much more expensive. Some people really are idiots
Reply 9
Ironically, the petition was started a month ago by a Leave activist who was worried about a close result!
You're making a very silly assumption: That only people who voted remain want another referendum.
How many people do you think voted leave believing the £350million lie?
Original post by QE2
Ironically, the petition was started a month ago by a Leave activist who was worried about a close result!

Wow really?

That is quite something :biggrin: :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QE2

To add to the fact it is being investigated for Remainer fruad just laugable TBF.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36634407
Original post by WhisperingTide
You're making a very silly assumption: That only people who voted remain want another referendum.
How many people do you think voted leave believing the £350million lie?

You're mad. We voted out just 2 days ago. You have to see the long term impacts before deciding whether it was a good thing. Personally, I believe it will be.

Still nobody has answered my question on turnout.
Except the Petitioner was a Brexiter who thought he was going to lose.
Reply 15
You're mad. We voted out just 2 days ago. You have to see the long term impacts before deciding whether it was a good thing. Personally, I believe it will be.

I think that there are more than a few leavers who would have voted differently if they knew that the £350 million for the NHS was a lie, and that it would not make any significant difference to EU migration - two things that were admitted by Brexit leaders immediately after the vote was in. Not to mention their houses and pensions being woth less, America denying any "special relationship", and Boris claiming that there is "no need to invoke article 50".

In short, if everyone had been aware that the referendum was purely a means of settling a power struggle within the Tory party, with no actual plan for dealing with an "out" result, the outcome would have been different.
Reply 16
Original post by orton6
If you voted leave because of immigration, immigration isn't going to change. All that will happen is people's pensions will be trashed and holidays much more expensive. Some people really are idiots

If you think that's "all that will happen" from leaving the EU then there's only one idiot here.
Original post by QE2
I think that there are more than a few leavers who would have voted differently if they knew that the £350 million for the NHS was a lie, and that it would not make any significant difference to EU migration - two things that were admitted by Brexit leaders immediately after the vote was in. Not to mention their houses and pensions being woth less, America denying any "special relationship", and Boris claiming that there is "no need to invoke article 50".

In short, if everyone had been aware that the referendum was purely a means of settling a power struggle within the Tory party, with no actual plan for dealing with an "out" result, the outcome would have been different.

Wow. That wonderful EU. We're only paying them c.£250 million each week, not 350. That changes everything. The referendum wasn't a way to settle a dispute within the Tories. It was much much more than that.

Btw, let's not forget that outrageous lies on the Remain side. Where is Osborne's emergency budget now?

Wait - why am I mad?
I'm just point out that some people legitimately are regretting it, and can you blame them?
If somebody voted mostly because of the promised £350million to the NHS, and it turns out that was a lie, why must they be 'mad' to want to vote again? The long term effects don't matter; the thing they voted for was a lie. We're not waiting to see whether it was a lie or not, they aren't jumping to conclusions preemptively, that WAS a lie.
Makes perfect sense.
Reply 19
The thousands of imaginary people from Vatican City and the Antarctic deserve to be listened to.

Quick Reply

Latest