The Student Room Group

who else is disgusted by young peoples attitude to the referendum?

after seeing all the calls for a new referendum and the outcry against the DEMOCRATICALLY decided election, especially, if not exclusively, from vocal young people i cant help but be disgusted at my generations lack of common sense and decency.

Saying that because we will deal with consequences longest only we should vote makes me sick. Saying that those who fought for the freedom to have this decision 70 years ago shouldn't have the RIGHT to VOTE is disgusted and highlights two things about our generation. We are ungrateful and cant take a hit. so anyone who actually believes in this nonsense of a statement i ask you one question, should you have the right to deny democracy to those who fought for that very thing? and if so why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There's probably like 5 people still alive in the UK that actually fought 70 years ago.
Original post by Razamataz666
after seeing all the calls for a new referendum and the outcry against the DEMOCRATICALLY decided election, especially, if not exclusively, from vocal young people i cant help but be disgusted at my generations lack of common sense and decency.

Saying that because we will deal with consequences longest only we should vote makes me sick. Saying that those who fought for the freedom to have this decision 70 years ago shouldn't have the RIGHT to VOTE is disgusted and highlights two things about our generation. We are ungrateful and cant take a hit. so anyone who actually believes in this nonsense of a statement i ask you one question, should you have the right to deny democracy to those who fought for that very thing? and if so why?

If the 18-25 year olds actually did give a stuff they would have actually showed up on the day? Where were they? Probably out getting drunk or recovering from a hangover
Reply 3
The ridiculous smearing of all Leave voters is hilarious :rolleyes:
Original post by MJ1012
There's probably like 5 people still alive in the UK that actually fought 70 years ago.

so what? are you going to deny them their right. your tone appears to suggest that you dont care about those 5.
I agree. Those who couldn't be bothered to vote shouldn't have right to complain about the results. For those who did, well at least you tried, right?
(edited 7 years ago)
1466894467990.jpg
People are annoyed and upset and they have every right to be. The majority of 18-25 year olds did not vote for this knowing the likely consequences it will have on our future! It will have a big impact on our lives and we will probably suffer the most out of everyone as these changes will occur when we are trying to get jobs, when we are trying to buy a house etc. The people who are upset and expressing this aren't the people who didn't vote because they were hung over (loving the stereotype)! We care about our future and when our country is heading in a different direction which will have a negative impact on our future, we have a right to express our displeasure.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
1466894467990.jpg

Literally my social media status because everyone suddenly becomes a political 'expert.'
Reply 9
1466894467990.jpg

Original post by Lkathryn08
People are annoyed and upset and they have every right to be. The majority of 18-25 year olds did not vote for this knowing the likely consequences it will have on our future! It will have a big impact on our lives and we will probably suffer the most out of everyone as these changes will occur when we are trying to get jobs, when we are trying to buy a house etc. The people who are upset and expressing this aren't the people who didn't vote because they were hung over (loving the stereotype)! We care about our future and when our country is heading in a different direction which will have a negative impact on our future, we have a right to express our displeasure.

Do some research then. Don't be lazy.
Original post by Razamataz666

You do realise that to have 'fought for freedom' you'd pretty much have to be 90. How many 90 year old people do you think voted? The age group people are complaining about is those largely between 65-75. Most of those people weren't even born during the last world war

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
The generation of political correctness screaming about how the stupid uneducated working class plebs and the old dinosaurs have ruined the country. A decent person bases their values on principles: prejudice is bad, so don't be prejudiced. Most of my generation don't seem to grasp this. Seems prejudice is bad when it's people of a certain minority race, or when it's against women, but totally fine against people of a certain age or people of a certain class.
Tbh there were so many young people who didn't vote. I was pretty surprised how so many young people reacted. My fb timeline is just people whining and describing leave voters as all racist.
Original post by Underscore__
The age group people are complaining about is those largely between 65-75. Most of those people weren't even born during the last world war

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're the ones who were born when the whole world was a mess, and they developed the right attitudes to deliver prosperity to the countries they live in. It's no surprise to see a generation pampered by the EU all this time ***** and whine and moan when it doesn't go their way. Like anyone owed them anything. I'm happy that the reset button has been pressed on this country, let the natives prove they are worthy of a slice of the wealth that comes from elsewhere.
1466894467990.jpg

To be fair, the young now are significantly more educated than their older counterparts - a result of the move towards a focus on university education and relatively reduced employment opportunities
we have the right to by angry by the outcome, because it is more our future than theirs. But you can't beat the democratic vote hence we have to accept we are leaving.
I'm more disturbed by the divide in the country now, rather than the vote.
I get your anger at the "only we should have the vote" line but the calls for another referendum I'd tell leave voters to get off their high horse because Farage said he'd do the exact same thing it remain won.
Original post by hellodave5
To be fair, the young now are significantly more educated than their older counterparts - a result of the move towards a focus on university education and relatively reduced employment opportunities

You might also say that they are brainwashed by government-enforced lessons on all the benefits of being in the EU, along with European virtues.

I say we should stop nitpicking over the demographics and just accept the British populace as a whole. What's the solution otherwise? Forbid everyone over 65 from voting? How will you feel when you're forbidden to vote and told that despite your decades of experience, you no longer understand the world as much the new generation does?
I'm disgusted by u tbh

Quick Reply

Latest