The Student Room Group

Does it still make sense for EU students to study in the UK?

I am an EU student and about to refuse my offers for a bachelor in economics.
- In 3 years time, job prospects might have disappeared for everybody but fore sure for EU students.
- University rankings are going to suffer
- the level of the professors are going to go down
- Universities' financing is problematic.
- The general environment is hostile to EU people. Obviously we are not welcome.

It seems fees are not going to be affected right away , It's even going to be less expensive through the exchange rate but I can't see the point joining now this sinking ship.

Any views because it is tough to change target so closed reaching it?
Original post by Castorus
I am an EU student and about to refuse my offers for a bachelor in economics.
- In 3 years time, job prospects might have disappeared for everybody but fore sure for EU students.
- University rankings are going to suffer
- the level of the professors are going to go down
- Universities' financing is problematic.
- The general environment is hostile to EU people. Obviously we are not welcome.

It seems fees are not going to be affected right away , It's even going to be less expensive through the exchange rate but I can't see the point joining now this sinking ship.

Any views because it is tough to change target so closed reaching it?

You have already made your mind up that it is a sinking ship.
I'm sure the UK will survive without you.
Cheerio.
Reply 2
This only reinforces my view that xenophobia is a driving force in the UK and that foreigners are not welcome.
Yes the UK or may be just England+Wales will "survive".
This only reinforces my view that xenophobia is a driving force in the UK and that foreigners are not welcome.
Yes the UK or may be just England+Wales will "survive".

What do you expect, when you have already made your mind up and put the UK down? I disagree with your assessment, but as you have made your mind up it's not a good investment of time to try and dissuade you.

Which country are you from?

Btw all I see in your post is what's good for you. Whilst that is fine and understandable, then it's reasonable to ask about what's in it for the UK?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I am from the Netherlands. I have not make up my mind. I am just full of frustration and almost despair.

I think it is good fot the UK to attract smart people, to promote liberalism and free movement of goods and people, and it has always benefited from this trend, since centuries.
(edited 7 years ago)
I am from Holland. I have not make up my mind. I am just full of frustration and almost despair.

That's not what comes across from your OP. You seem to be talking yourself into the despair.

1. Whether you accept or refuse offers is up to you.
2. I would look at whether you were going to get a good education first.
3. If your ultimate aim was to work in the UK, then we dont know what post exit agreement will be made. If the UK wants acess to the single market, then it will almost certainly have to continue to support the free movement of people, which includes the right of EU citizens to come and work in the UK.
4. I doubt the quality of the better universities will suffer. If anything the UK becomes a more attractive place to get an education becayse it will be cheaper as the £ remains weak. So I would disagree with you that it automatically follows the level of professors will go down.
5. Financing would not change for at least 2.5 years, so anyone starting now is unlikely to notice any change. You would also benefit from a weaker £.
6. The general environment is not hostile to EU people. A large part of the country wanted to remain and a large part of the exiters are not xenophobic.

IF you cant see the point, than that is your choice, except the points you made and on which you rest your decision arent really accurate.

There is uncertainty, but its not as bad as you claim. You arent going to win yourself any friends by calling the UK a sinking ship.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
That's not what comes across from your OP. You seem to be talking yourself into the despair.

1. Whether you accept or refuse offers is up to you.
2. I would look at whether you were going to get a good education first.
3. If your ultimate aim was to work in the UK, then we dont know what post exit agreement will be made. If the UK wants acess to the single market, then it will almost certainly have to continue to support the free movement of people, which includes the right of EU citizens to come and work in the UK.
4. I doubt the quality of the better universities will suffer. If anything the UK becomes a more attractive place to get an education becayse it will be cheaper as the £ remains weak. So I would disagree with you that it automatically follows the level of professors will go down.
5. Financing would not change for at least 2.5 years, so anyone starting now is unlikely to notice any change. You would also benefit from a weaker £.
6. The general environment is not hostile to EU people. A large part of the country wanted to remain and a large part of the exiters are not xenophobic.

IF you cant see the point, than that is your choice, except the points you made and on which you rest your decision arent really accurate.

There is uncertainty, but its not as bad as you claim. You arent going to win yourself any friends by calling the UK a sinking ship.

Thanks for your answers
I am from the Netherlands. I have not make up my mind. I am just full of frustration and almost despair.

I think it is good fot the UK to attract smart people, to promote liberalism and free movement of goods and people, and it has always benefited from this trend, since centuries.

I disagree. I'm an EU student from France and will be heading to London this September to study Geoscience. The UK might have left but not officially yet. Negotiations haven't begun yet and it is quite possible that EU citizens might still be able to move freely to or from the UK. Of course the prizes might be high but would you jeopardize your future just because the UK left the EU ? I'm as desperate as you following this referendum but the British have decided and I shall respect their choice.
Original post by Franckenstar
I disagree. I'm an EU student from France and will be heading to London this September to study Geoscience. The UK might have left but not officially yet. Negotiations haven't begun yet and it is quite possible that EU citizens might still be able to move freely to or from the UK. Of course the prizes might be high but would you jeopardize your future just because the UK left the EU ? I'm as desperate as you following this referendum but the British have decided and I shall respect their choice.

Very sensible view. The odds are that freedom of movement will continue. If you get a good education, then the odds are you will be in a good position to get a good job based on that whether the UK remains in the single market or not.

If the brexiters have any problems with people from abroad, it tends to be asylum seekers, people who they believe just come for benefits and those ten to be Eastern Europeans. Definitely not the French or Dutch. Think you will find when you get to London its one of the most metropolitan cities in the world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending