The Student Room Group

No more A2

Apparently AS will not count towards your final A-Level and that AS is a stand alone qualification. So if there is AS in year 12, what is there anything n year 13?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shazen
Apparently AS will not count towards your final A-Level and that AS is a stand alone qualification. So if there is AS in year 12, what is there anything n year 13?

In year 13 you will take full A level exams that test everything you have learned over the 2 years of study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
In year 13 you will take full A level exams that test everything you have learned over the 2 years of study.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok thanks!
Reply 3
pretty much all schools will just do the full A-level and not bother with AS, so you just sit the exams in year 13 and get a whole A-level :smile:
Personally I liked the AS system, put less pressure on finals
Original post by fefssdf
pretty much all schools will just do the full A-level and not bother with AS, so you just sit the exams in year 13 and get a whole A-level :smile:

Oh ok thanks! :smile:
Original post by ForestShadow
Personally I liked the AS system, put less pressure on finals

Exactly now you have to learn everything for the whole 2 years to do exams.
Reply 7
Original post by Shazen
Exactly now you have to learn everything for the whole 2 years to do exams.

yeh its pretty harsh as currently everyone going into year 13 knows where their stand - e.g. if you got an A at AS then its likely you're gonna get an A overall but if you've done no exams then I guess theres a lot of uncertainty as you don't know how good you actually are at your subjects !
Original post by fefssdf
yeh its pretty harsh as currently everyone going into year 13 knows where their stand - e.g. if you got an A at AS then its likely you're gonna get an A overall but if you've done no exams then I guess theres a lot of uncertainty as you don't know how good you actually are at your subjects !

Yes! I hate the way the education system is going now! For Physics I'll have to do 16 core practicals over the 2 years and I'll need them all to be passes.
Reply 9
Original post by Shazen
Yes! I hate the way the education system is going now! For Physics I'll have to do 16 core practicals over the 2 years and I'll need them all to be passes.

I feel so sorry for you - I'm just glad that maths isn't switching to linear till next year so i still get another chance to retake it and have lessons !
Original post by fefssdf
I feel so sorry for you - I'm just glad that maths isn't switching to linear till next year so i still get another chance to retake it and have lessons !

Oh yeah, what A-Levels are you doing?
Original post by Shazen
Oh yeah, what A-Levels are you doing?

Maths, english language , and psychology - I love all of my subjects heheh
Original post by fefssdf
Maths, english language , and psychology - I love all of my subjects heheh

Nice, how's maths? I want to take that this year hopefully.
Does this mean that exam boards have already created new revision guides for the new full A-level or you still need to buy AS+A2 revision guides?
Original post by Shazen
Nice, how's maths? I want to take that this year hopefully.

I would definitely recommend doing maths because there are so many resources available and for revision you just do all the past papers so its easy to stay organised like you don't have to make notes- just keep dong questions till you get it . there's also so many youtube videos for every single topic so if you don't understand something you can just find a video with someone explaining it so yeh if you're good at maths then do maths A-level !!
Original post by fefssdf
I would definitely recommend doing maths because there are so many resources available and for revision you just do all the past papers so its easy to stay organised like you don't have to make notes- just keep dong questions till you get it . there's also so many youtube videos for every single topic so if you don't understand something you can just find a video with someone explaining it so yeh if you're good at maths then do maths A-level !!

Ok thanks, are oh doing mechanics or statistics?
Original post by Shazen
Ok thanks, are oh doing mechanics or statistics?

last year I did Mechanics and decision and stats cause i did further maths as well, and this year I'm doing stats again but its a personal preference cause some people hate stats and others hate mechanics so I suggest you do some research into s1 ect to see whether it looks like something you could do well in :smile:
Who changed this? Michael Gove? It was better with doing AS .
Original post by fefssdf
last year I did Mechanics and decision and stats cause i did further maths as well, and this year I'm doing stats again but its a personal preference cause some people hate stats and others hate mechanics so I suggest you do some research into s1 ect to see whether it looks like something you could do well in :smile:

Oh ok that's good. You know if you do further maths AS, can't you carry it on as a whole A-Level?
Original post by SmallTown
Does this mean that exam boards have already created new revision guides for the new full A-level or you still need to buy AS+A2 revision guides?

I'm not sure I think you still might have to buy the old ones

Quick Reply

Latest