The Student Room Group

A Levels for Architecture

I really want to do architecture at University. I understand that it requires a sound mathematics skill, but I really don't want to pick A Level Mathematics (or further maths for that matter).

I was thinking of something like:
Art/Graphics (which is better?), Chemistry (Interests me) . I'm going to pick a third one, but how can I make my A Levels look good without mathematics?
Reply 1
bump
Original post by SamSp123
I really want to do architecture at University. I understand that it requires a sound mathematics skill, but I really don't want to pick A Level Mathematics (or further maths for that matter).

I was thinking of something like:
Art/Graphics (which is better?), Chemistry (Interests me) . I'm going to pick a third one, but how can I make my A Levels look good without mathematics?

Hey there! I'm in AS atm (just finished exams) and will be going into A2 in September. I will be applying for Architecture at uni. I currently do art, maths, product design and history. In terms of choosing A levels, I really think you should choose subjects you in enjoy.

Some universities such as Bath, UCL, Cambridge etc. require certain A level(s) to be taken. On the Bath website it mentions that they want a mixture of art/humanities and maths/science whereas Cambridge say they want
"A*AA at A Level. Art and Mathematics are highly desirable A-level choices, although neither is essential." So it really depends on the university you are going for! Ultimately, look at university subject requirements but not to the point where you're picking a subject you don't like and because it's on the list.

Pick subjects that you ENJOY would be my advice :smile: But if you enjoy art, it is a great choice to have over graphic design! You can maybe do Art, Chemistry and History? (idk if you like history or not...)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TSRMatt
Hey there! I'm in AS atm (just finished exams) and will be going into A2 in September. I will be applying for Architecture at uni. I currently do art, maths, product design and history. In terms of choosing A levels, I really think you should choose subjects you in enjoy.

Some universities such as Bath, UCL, Cambridge etc. require certain A level(s) to be taken. On the Bath website it mentions that they want a mixture of art/humanities and maths/science whereas Cambridge say they want
"A*AA at A Level. Art and Mathematics are highly desirable A-level choices, although neither is essential." So it really depends on the university you are going for! Ultimately, look at university subject requirements but not to the point where you're picking a subject you don't like and because it's on the list.

Pick subjects that you ENJOY would be my advice :smile: But if you enjoy art, it is a great choice to have over graphic design! You can maybe do Art, Chemistry and History? (idk if you like history or not...)

Thank you for the detailed response, I was thinking I could take Computer Science instead of history? It could show how good my ability is to design things on a software instead of pen and paper. Also, do you think picking graphics would pit me at a huge disadvantage? I'm not looking to get into any top universities either.
Reply 4
Thank you for the detailed response, I was thinking I could take Computer Science instead of history? It could show how good my ability is to design things on a software instead of pen and paper. Also, do you think picking graphics would pit me at a huge disadvantage? I'm not looking to get into any top universities either.

computer science is probably the best alternative you can have in place of maths as it is very maths based so go for that if you really don't want to do maths... if you have an idea of the unis you wanna go to - then perhaps you should contact the admissions people and see whether they would advise doing maths / com/sci :smile:
Reply 5
Physics, maths, art and product design sound the best

Nope, I don't think it will! Computer science and graphics will be great! I wanted to pick graphics, however, my school didn't offer it...
Reply 7
Original post by TSRMatt
Nope, I don't think it will! Computer science and graphics will be great! I wanted to pick graphics, however, my school didn't offer it...

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you for the comment; hope you find something else you enjoy other than graphics.
Yeah I'm doing product design instead!

Quick Reply

Latest