The Student Room Group

Why was this decision even given to the British public?

Why should they have had the power in the first place to undo 43 years of membership in the EU without being well informed about the consequences that would ensue? This matter should have been settled within parliament, where an overwhelming majority realised how terrible a Brexit would be for Great Britain - professionals who have studied law, politics, economics, etc. all their life. David Cameron is going to rue the day he ever gave into pressure from the Tory backbenchers. Even Boris Johnson and Michael Gove didn't want this to happen, but now "in the name of democracy" we're all going to suffer so unnecessarily.

Scroll to see replies

More importantly, why are you still complaining 2 days on. At what point will you accept a democratic election did not go the way you voted?

The British public are most affected by the EU's imposing presence and the majority voted to leave it.
Reply 2
Original post by physicsphysics91
More importantly, why are you still complaining 2 days on. At what point will you accept a democratic election did not go the way you voted?

The British public are most affected by the EU's imposing presence and the majority voted to leave it.

Nothing's wrong with complaining. It allows us to better accept reality, and also come up with ways to deal with it.
We take a step and we're on our way
Gonna start all over again
We wanna be prosperous
England And Wales
We're on our way
We wanna be prosperous
Give us just one chance
And the future will decide
If the prosperity is still in us
We wanna be prosperous... Great Britain!

:biggrin: (well, everybody's gotta learn sometime)

The whole point of this thread is that you can't consider it to be an entirely democratic vote.

And I'm not complaining, I'm genuinely curious as to why such a big decision was given to the British electorate. Typical of Brexiters to think of this as "I win, you lose, now shut up". It's much bigger than that
Original post by tanyapotter
The whole point of this thread is that you can't consider it to be an entirely democratic vote.

And I'm not complaining, I'm genuinely curious as to why such a big decision was given to the British electorate. Typical of Brexiters to think of this as "I win, you lose, now shut up". It's much bigger than that

Complain about something more genuine such as low voter turnout for the under 25's lol
Original post by shawn_o1
We take a step and we're on our way
Gonna start all over again
We wanna be prosperous
England And Wales
We're on our way
We wanna be prosperous
Give us just one chance
And the future will decide
If the prosperity is still in us
We wanna be prosperous... Great Britain!

:biggrin: (well, everybody's gotta learn sometime)

We're not going to be prosperous for a long, long time.
Reply 7
Whether it should or shouldn't have been is immaterial.

The decision has been made.
Complain about something more genuine such as low voter turnout for the under 25's lol

I have complaints about that too. But my initial complaint is the most genuine, because this is the doing of Tory backbenchers who don't care about me and you at all, and I'm mad.
I have complaints about that too. But my initial complaint is the most genuine, because this is the doing of Tory backbenchers who don't care about me and you at all, and I'm mad.

Move country then, I heard Germanistan is doing very well right now.

Yeah, the 17m majority who voted to leave have nothing to do with it, it's all the big bad Tories... the leader of whom was voting to stay in... but hey, why let facts get in the way of a good old hyperbolic rant?

The majority of people did not feel that they were prospering from globalism and this is what you seem completely incapable of swallowing. An expert who owns houses in every major global city has nothing to say to poor people who have been left behind by the system from which he is profiting.

I was a remain voter, but I'm not a naive fool.

Elegantly put from the A-level armchair economist :rofl:
Reply 13

I think its good that you feel so strongly about this and you are curious. Feeling strongly about things and curiosity are good qualities.

Of course the short answer to your question is because people like Cameron were so arrogant and so out of touch with the way large swathes of the country were thinking that they thought that they could scare us into complying with their wishes.
(edited 7 years ago)

You're so stupid. The leave "campaign" on TSR have spent days trying to convince everyone we're not all racists and then you say something like that. Jesus christ. That does sound like something a chav would say... You're pathetic.
Original post by BioStudentx
You're so stupid. The leave "campaign" on TSR have spent days trying to convince everyone we're not all racists and then you say something like that. Jesus christ. That does sound like something a chav would say... You're pathetic.

Thats a bit elitist is it not?

Germany >>>>>>>>>>>> Great Britain. It honestly seems like the best option, even if it does mean watching the UK disintegrate and crumble from afar.

It literally was the most democratic way to deal with the issue. Please go and learn the meaning of the word 'democratic'. You and plenty of people have been misusing it over the last 48 hours. One person one vote. Rather than leaving it up to 'experts'.

Has a generation really grown up brainwashed by the EU to the extent it's left them unable to form their own opinions and being happy to be told what to do by people they don't know, haven't elected or haven't met? If so then thank goodness we're leaving.
Germany >>>>>>>>>>>> Great Britain. It honestly seems like the best option, even if it does mean watching the UK disintegrate and crumble from afar.

Except for their own huge growth in far right politics, growing dismay at the EU, being fed up of bailing everybody out, their own push for a referendum, growing youth unemployment, huge influx of migrants causing all manner of public disorder.... yeah, it's a utopia.

For now, with the amount of civil unrest and record number of migrants still entering Germany will crumble first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending