The Student Room Group

How would you react if parliament blocked EU exit?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wildleaves
What world do we live in where this is suppose to insult the leave campaigners....

It's not an insult it's a joke lol
Original post by Inexorably
If they (parliament) did it would be understandable.

But the anger from the leave side would also be understandable.

Either way I'm not gonna blame either side, this is an incredibly difficult choice for the UK Parliament to make.
--
But yeah as mentioned above, the lib dems certainly aren't bountiful in terms of MP numbers...

Who on Earth do you think you are, coming on TSR and giving a measured, impartial, calm response to a question about the EU?!

Next thing you know we'll be having good-natured discussions on the role of feminism in 21st century Britain.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Honestly I dunno, probably protest for their resignations/arrests.

As for the rest of the Leave support, honestly the thought makes me quite angry, so if chaos kicks off and there's rioting and worse, that's totally on those MP's for trying to block the democratic will of the country.

FYI also I'm a LibDem voter so if the party wants to lose what little support it has left go ahead, because if they do that then they have no right to call themselves democrats.

I'll name them for what they are. Fascists.

Well said. People are now sharing photos on previous referendums in other countries that have had revotes. Frankly disgusting.
It's the kind of act that people calling for should be ashamed of, maybe they have totally united families on this issue(and could that be correlated with indoctrination and authoritarianism?)but it could split mine and many others into divisions and hate for good. I would have to take political action because I would feel so betrayed and enraged, and I would also feel like my parents may in someway approve and be pleased about it.
In fact, my Dad already thinks Sturgeon is within her rights with maybe trying to force Scotland to keep is in, much to my polite irritation. On that note, I think the English would start, en masse, demanding that the Scots leave the union and funding independence campaigns if that happened.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
It's the kind of act that people calling for should be ashamed of, maybe they have totally united families on this issue(and could that be correlated with indoctrination and authoritarianism?)but it could split mine and many others into divisions and hate for good. I would have to take political action because I would feel so betrayed and enraged, and I would also feel like my parents may in someway approve and be pleased about it.
In fact, my Dad already thinks Sturgeon is within her rights with maybe trying to force Scotland to keep is in, much to my polite irritation. On that note, I think the English would start, en masse, demanding that the Scots leave the union and funding independence campaigns if that happened.

Indeed. My sister is rabidly pro-EU, I am the total opposite. It would tear society apart. And yes, if there was a forced revote, I would take political action and would be perfectly understanding of people who vote for more extreme options.
i would send nicola sturgeon a big heart-shaped cookie
Fight in the civil war.
Original post by James.Carnell
Indeed. My sister is rabidly pro-EU, I am the total opposite. It would tear society apart. And yes, if there was a forced revote, I would take political action and would be perfectly understanding of people who vote for more extreme options.

Yup. The fear mongering was totally irresponsible, as was Cameron just buggering off. . People said he had a sense of great duty, oh well..
But this wanting to override the clear will of people would take the biscuit and prove that they don't care about this country only their own meglomania.
I think there would be a united front, mass strikes for indefinite periods, who knows? The vote has already been pushed further in the direction of remain than the true picture, with Jo Coxs death, so many people who admit they were 'intimidated' into remaining against what they wanted inwardly. The outward social pressure was far more, and the registration deadline thing extending possibly added to remain too.

What with Sturgeon saying this, and maybe London also advocating it, the English vote would go through the roof, swinging to Leave, the divisions between London and Scotland and England even wider. Because all remain would have is more fear, leave already won on long term and optimism. There could even be further referendums in Europe coming soon. And what with Farage sidelined, and Labour still blinkered about their electoral problem and infighting, UKIP support in England would also skyrocket. I think people who come over as more dutiful and stabilizing will win the day though and begin steering us to independence, and these people will eventually just have to concede they have made dicks of themselves. If the worst case scenario happened, and they even had to rig it or something, or try and get younger voters, imagine the lack of support behind them as they tried to go on, from leavers and also from people who didn't feel so strongly either way, but respect democratic principles. Chaos.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by katherine9609
I'll use an example here to explain how: some electoral victories are won by minority creating a minority government (eg. Labour in 1974). Majority isn't actually needed for one side to win. Leave won by minority

Posted from TSR Mobile

1459555481215.jpg
I'd be delighted tbh. I'd quite like all the lies of the Leave campaign (and Remain campaign) to be exposed, so the people can perhaps understand that putting it up for MP debate is a more sensible option. Many Leavers did vote on the basis of immigration, and if we want freedom to the single market, we'll have to accept the free movement of people. Those voters are still living in La La land if they haven't caught on to that yet. Boris lied, Gove lied.

But hey, putting your hands up and admitting you lied requires balls, which Gove and Boris don't have. I'm not expecting much from this week.
Original post by nulli tertius
But there is the suggestion that it will be Juncker who is out. Some EU members are saying this is all Juncker's fault.

It's not really Juncker's fault though. It's the fault of some nasty, destructive Little Englanders that decided to lash out at the rest of the world instead of blaming their own government.
Original post by drowzee
The Lib Dems alone cannot block it. However, if enough MPs from across all the parties form a majority, then yes they could block it. I would rejoice tbh; I know it's undemocratic but I know the public made the wrong choice.

You know the public made the wrong choice? How arrogant can you get? You do not and cannot know anything, none of us can. Period.

Original post by george_c00per
Here come the Leave campaigners shouting "FFS IT'S DEMOCRACY WE VOTED 2 LEAVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!1!!1! " ....

I would rather that than the ridiculous amount of hate, childishness and ageism coming from the Remain camp these last few days :wink:

Original post by RDKGames
I'd have my faith restored in the British people if that happened.

Except it is not the will nor doing of the British people. It is the doing of MPs blocking a result made by the British people.
Our Northern armies can be mobilised within 3 days. By a week we will have reached London on horseback to take their heads
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Our Northern armies can be mobilised within 3 days. By a week we will have reached London on horseback to take their heads

They won't get south of Derby.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 134
Original post by katherine9609
I'll use an example here to explain how: some electoral victories are won by minority creating a minority government (eg. Labour in 1974). Majority isn't actually needed for one side to win. Leave won by minority

Posted from TSR Mobile

Um, no. Leave won by a majority. A majority of around one million. If some Remain supporters couldn't be bothered to get off their arses to the local church then tough titties I'm afraid. The argument that the intention was there has no legitimacy.
I'd begrudgingly oppose the idea.
They won't get south of Derby.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Derby is NORTH. South is London.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Derby is NORTH. South is London.

If you don't understand the reference, read a history book
This should never have been a public decision, it should've been parliamentary from the start.

The public are quite frankly too stupid and too gullible to make such important decisions. This isn't just an election that can be fixed in a few years, this would be a permanent mistake.

I will be very glad if they do block it. Don't see why experienced MPs should follow the opinions of the uninformed public on a matter where one choice is clearly the wrong choice.
If you don't understand the reference, read a history book

Which history book? I am busy preparing the northern troops (Including Derby)

Quick Reply