The Student Room Group

Physics or Engineering?

I've wanted to do engineering since I picked my GCES's but now I can't pick between Engineering and Physics I just wanted to know if there's any difference in what you get at the end or if one would be better than the other. Any help would be highly appreciated thanks
Original post by bluesclues44
I've wanted to do engineering since I picked my GCES's but now I can't pick between Engineering and Physics I just wanted to know if there's any difference in what you get at the end or if one would be better than the other. Any help would be highly appreciated thanks

Same here I'm stuck between them too. Physics is the study of the actual subject you will only study pure physics and maths. Engineering is the application of physics and maths, therefore you will do less theoretical work in engineering than in physics.
Reply 2
Original post by Shazen
Same here I'm stuck between them too. Physics is the study of the actual subject you will only study pure physics and maths. Engineering is the application of physics and maths, therefore you will do less theoretical work in engineering than in physics.

But what is better? study it more and apply it later or apply it and only partly understand it?
But what is better? study it more and apply it later or apply it and only partly understand it?

Neither is "better", it depends on what you want to do with your life. Do you want to study Physics from a theoretical perspective, or are you more interested in the applications? That's the decision you've got to make.

That's completely up to you. If you like doing the actual subject rather than doing more building type of things then do physics.
"Engineering" is quite broad... any particular type of Engineering?
Original post by Plagioclase
Neither is "better", it depends on what you want to do with your life. Do you want to study Physics from a theoretical perspective, or are you more interested in the applications? That's the decision you've got to make.

Yeah this is what I meant to say.
Reply 7
Original post by 34908seikj
"Engineering" is quite broad... any particular type of Engineering?

Mechanical engineering

There's not enough information here to provide much help, although to your last question, engineering and physics are quite different from each other. Do you want to be an engineer? And remember you have plenty of time to decide. To be honest, at the moment your biggest concern should be getting the highest grades possible in maths, physics and the like to keep doors open.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
I had to make this decision last year. Basically, if you think you're interested in studying nature, do physics. If you're interested in building things and working with technology, go for engineering.
Reply 10

You have time to explore which one you want to do (I'm assuming you are in yr9-11), and you do not have to make a decision now. What you should try to do is spend a little bit of time doing research in both those subjects, going to events related to them (and other subjects you find interesting) and even talking to current students doing them.
Reply 11
I started off looking to 'do one one of the subjects I did at a-level' as a degree. That would have been Maths, Physics, or Design Tech, and I didnt really want to do any one of them. So for me, as soon as i had the idea of doing mechanical engineering and started looking what that was, and how it tied together my ability to understand maths and physics but also the fact I enjoy designing and making mechanical things, it made perfect sense.

Message me if you want to talk in more detail as I am not on here very often, but while I am sort of biased, I have not looked back at all and am really glad I have gone down the route of mechanical engineering as I really enjoy the work, which I have also found easy to find.

Daniel

Quick Reply

Latest