Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Right To Let Me Go After 15 Hours of Unpaid Work?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

This is a long 'un. BARE WITH ME!

So I have been working in a coffee shop for over a week, having done shifts for a total of over 15 hours. The manager promised to take me on with no experience and said he would train me.

He called the first two shifts 'trials' and then said the rest would be training. He handed me a contract which he never asked for again until I gave it to him today.

Every shift, I was doing the same things and being shown and re-shown how to make the same things or watch how other people did the same things I had already done and been taught to do. I was cleaning, washing, serving and using the till, all of this UNPAID.

Today, the manager randomly gave me £5 as I was leaving, saying that it was a tip, which I had never had before. However, what frustrates me more is that when I got home, he texted me to say that I was not right for the job as I did not have enough experience! (when he took me on fully knowing that I did not).

Anyway, does he have the legal right to do this? What should I do?

No, you must be paid at least minimum wage for the hours you work. Contact their superior or your local job centre

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.