The Student Room Group

People who claim Brexiters are less intelligent than Bremainers...

You usually start with 'people with a university degree are more likely to vote remain'. This is 2016. Anyone who can get 2 D grades at A level can get in to some university, albeit not often a quality university.

Let's take Kerry and James. Kerry is 22, and has just received her 2.2 in American Studies from the University of Wolverhampton. She voted remain because she wants to 'experience life' in Europe, and being in the EU will mean that she won't have to apply for a visa or pay roaming charges when she's on holiday before returning to work in a call centre.

James is also 22 and is the co-owner of a building contracting company that he started when he was 19. He voted leave because cheap migrant workers undercut British workers, and he is also worried about how the EU is becoming more authoritarian, and Turkey potentially joining it. He owns a home, has no debt and is called a racist by people online.

Still think a degree makes you more intelligent.

Lastly, the idea that Leave voters aren't just uneducated in general, but are also uneducated on the referendum. Because surely if they were educated, they'd vote remain, right? Right?.

Us working and even lower middle class people are fed up of being told what to do, how we're stupid and uneducated. Whilst you're sitting drinking coffee and eating artisan bread and reading the Guardian, we see nothing of benefit from the EU.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm predicted A*A*A, have an unconditional for a top 20 uni in September and voted leave. What is wrong with me!?!?!?!?!?
Lol. If you can't even gets 2 D's then....

Did you just make up an imaginary person?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Samiz
I'm predicted A*A*A, have an unconditional for a top 20 uni in September and voted leave. What is wrong with me!?!?!?!?!?

what uni
Reply 4
Original post by govandpolitics
what uni

Sussex
I voted remain, but I think the argument that people who voted remain are more intelligent is stupid. Firstly, there was a clear generational divide between those who voted remain and leave. A lot more elderly people voted to leave. Less people went to university in the past, so obviously there are less university educated people among the elderly population, but that doesn't mean they are not intelligent. It just means that less people went to university in the past.
Reply 6
Original post by DorianGrayism
Lol. If you can't even gets 2 D's then....

Precisely. You can be dumb as hell and still go to university.

Original post by Samiz

Absolutely nothing!
It's the working class who will suffer when jobs are cut and companies move their assets to mainland Europe..
Reply 8
I got 4 A*s at A level and voted leave
Bit of a brag but I am sick of people trying to insinuate I must be stupid by extension..

Right, let's get some clarification on this seeing as there is some backlash. I do not believe that my case somehow proves anything about the average intelligence of either group. It just seems to me that many remainers have generalised so heavily that they might honestly have trouble believing that any intelligent person, in an academic sense, in an IQ sense, in a practical sense, whatever, could vote leave, and they make blanket statements about leavers often with no thought for those they are unintentionally shunning. It has been quite saddening to me to see many people I call friends engaging in this behaviour.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by richpanda
Precisely. You can be dumb as hell and still go to university.!

Doesn't say much about those who can't get in.

Mind you, I don't think many people do A Levels without the intention of going to Uni.
Reply 10
Original post by george_c00per
It's the working class who will suffer when jobs are cut and companies move their assets to mainland Europe..

Yes because that's definitely happening. Not like Morgan Stalney had to publicly deny moving workers to Dublin/Frankfurt because of remain false fearmongering reports.
I got 3 As at A level, 2.1 From top 10 university and a Masters from a Top 5 university, i voted leave. Again this isn't a circle jerk but the insinuation that somebody who has mindlessly read the guardian and believes they must be more intelligent than their leave counterpart is mistaken.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by george_c00per

This is something said by people who support remain as a sort of 'We know what's best for you, you uneducated fool'.
Original post by AverageExcellence
I got 3 As at A level, 2.1 From top 10 university and a Masters from a Top 5 university, i voted leave. Again this isn't a circle jerk but the insinuation that somebody who has mindlessly read the guardian and believes they must be more intelligent than their leave counterpart is mistaken.

A Masters in what?
Original post by Samiz

I voted remain and my qualifications pale in comparison. Which goes to show that it is just a generalisation to say that people who voted remain are more intelligent or the vice versa. Just ignore any such ad hominems.
Original post by richpanda
You usually start with 'people with a university degree are more likely to vote remain'. This is 2016. Anyone who can get 2 D grades at A level can get in to some university, albeit not often a quality university.

Let's take Kerry and James. Kerry is 22, and has just received her 2.2 in American Studies from the University of Wolverhampton. She voted remain because she wants to 'experience life' in Europe, and being in the EU will mean that she won't have to apply for a visa or pay roaming charges when she's on holiday before returning to work in a call centre.

James is also 22 and is the co-owner of a building contracting company that he started when he was 19. He voted leave because cheap migrant workers undercut British workers, and he is also worried about how the EU is becoming more authoritarian, and Turkey potentially joining it. He owns a home, has no debt and is called a racist by people online.

Still think a degree makes you more intelligent.

Lastly, the idea that Leave voters aren't just uneducated in general, but are also uneducated on the referendum. Because surely if they were educated, they'd vote remain, right? Right?.

Us working and even lower middle class people are fed up of being told what to do, how we're stupid and uneducated. Whilst you're sitting drinking coffee and eating artisan bread and reading the Guardian, we see nothing of benefit from the EU.

What about our economy? Predictions aren't particularly good now.

Generally I would say that as a general rule those that voted out were more likely to have done so without thought to the consequences. Though this is of course not applied to everyone, but unfortunately it seems many were simply manipulated. It's very upsetting, far far more than the actual outcome.
I think a university education can sometimes provide protection against such manipulation - but again, you don't have to go to university to develop the ability to critically appraise information (or that it is something every university student develops the ability to do).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DorianGrayism
A Masters in what?

Gender studies

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by AverageExcellence

Yes bu those people are so stuck up their smoked salmon bagel ringed arse they don't realise that!
ok-mate.jpg
Original post by Samiz

top 20 isn't that great, assuming that means it's not even top 10

Quick Reply

Latest