The Student Room Group

People who claim Brexiters are less intelligent than Bremainers...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by tanyapotter
I think the more interesting question is, why go to Sussex with A*A*A predictions?

:biggrin:

I loved the city and I'm not great under pressure which I would have been had I took on a conditional. Was a hard decision though.
Original post by offhegoes
I get the point, we all do. Idiots can manage to get into university, and some even graduate. Bright people sometimes don't.

But let's not pretend that all these Brexiteers without degrees are self-made millionaires or working for social enterprise businesses.

At some point you have to just accept that, on average, Leave voters are less intelligent. Just in the same way that on average Leave voters are older.

Again, I think you are mixing intelligence and level of education. I am not arguing that people who voted Remain on average are 'better educated', I agree with that, just that being better educated is not the same as being more intelligent.
Original post by Desi123
mirin

repped

das it womane
Original post by richpanda
das it womane

das it

Original post by Samiz
I'm predicted A*A*A, have an unconditional for a top 20 uni in September and voted leave. What is wrong with me!?!?!?!?!?

It's because you're the cream that floats to the top of the bottle of milk that represents the mundane minds of the average degree holder in the UK these days.

For too many years the over-subscribed universities in the country have sheltered people who are (sorry to offend them but it's true) of average intelligence and wisdom, and encouraged in that refuge a false sense of intellectual and ethical superiority.

Basically little different than the non-degree holding public they scoff at. Except you could expect a non-degree holding member of the public to not carry that air of educational arrogance.

I'm university educated and middle-class, a LibDem voter.

I voted leave because my research on the matter suggested it was the best course of action.
I certainly feel like I weighed up the issues more carefully and fully than the vast majority of Remain voters. *shrug*

Original post by The Epicurean
I voted remain, but I think the argument that people who voted remain are more intelligent is stupid. Firstly, there was a clear generational divide between those who voted remain and leave. A lot more elderly people voted to leave. Less people went to university in the past, so obviously there are less university educated people among the elderly population, but that doesn't mean they are not intelligent. It just means that less people went to university in the past.

Not to mention the younger voters had the lowest turnout, so instead of blaming older people they should be blaming their peers who didn't bother.

It's our own generations fault, nobody else's.
(edited 7 years ago)
I get the point, we all do. Idiots can manage to get into university, and some even graduate. Bright people sometimes don't.

But let's not pretend that all these Brexiteers without degrees are self-made millionaires or working for social enterprise businesses.

At some point you have to just accept that, on average, Leave voters are less intelligent. Just in the same way that on average Leave voters are older.

Leave voters being older is not at all analogous with leave voters being less intelligent. Age is not subjective, you are 60 or you're not. You concede yourself that having a degree is not always indicative of intelligence, and frankly I think anyone who chooses not to attend uni in order to work is smarter than, say, someone who goes to Southampton Solent to do media studies. Lots more people go to university these days and anyone with almost any combination of level 3 education can get into a uni somewhere for some course, so having a degree is no longer a reliable indicator of intelligence. There is no other real way of measuring the intelligence of voters, and measuring how many people with a degree voted leave or remain therefore only produces largely irrelevant information

[e] Not to mention 'having a degree' is remarkably ambiguous with regards to the overall result. Again a personal view but I don't think going to a rubbish uni and simply obtaining a third class degree makes you intelligent by any means. Yet by saying 'having a degree means you are more intelligent' we must conclude that someone with a 3rd is more intelligent than someone with no degree at all, which I do not agree with.
(edited 7 years ago)
A fanatic song to celebrate leaving the EU.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHNfvJc99YY
and I got 4 a* at A level and a 1st degree from a top uni.
Original post by Desi123
das it

sauce? female misc I'm guessing, unaware
Original post by tanyapotter
I think the more interesting question is, why go to Sussex with A*A*A predictions?

Not really an interesting question, the possible answers are fairly obvious - not all students will choose to go to a top university just because they have the grades for one. Plenty of people who have the grades for Oxbridge don't apply at all, for example. Lots of top universities are in London and plenty of people don't want to move to London. Some students might want to stay at a uni near there home for whatever reason. The few people I know who went to unis that seemed 'below' their predictions but were unis best suited to them were the people who ended up doing extremely well with first class degrees, highest in their year, academic prizes, etc. Nothing wrong at all with choosing a uni just because you like it and not because of its reputation.
Original post by sorry13
are you also white and privileged?

This you? :rolleyes: Just lol @ writing stupid insults ITT then playing the victim card

richpanda
sauce? female misc I'm guessing, unaware

normal misc. Thread is dead tho
Original post by Desi123
This you? :rolleyes: Just lol @ writing stupid insults ITT then playing the victim card

strong catfish. mirin female account to hustle reps tho
Reply 131
Original post by sorry13
If there's a higher proportion of people who say "Yes let's negotiate", they'll go with the highest vote. The EU's a democratic organisation, you seem to forget this.

Good joke. That's why the EU ignored Denmark voting against the Maastricht Treaty, forced the extreme austerity of Greece, asked Ireland to vote on the Nice treaty twice because the first result was not what they wanted. France and Netherlands voted against EU constitution but it was passed anyway. But sure, the EU is a democratic organisation, my bad!
Again, I think you are mixing intelligence and level of education. I am not arguing that people who voted Remain on average are 'better educated', I agree with that, just that being better educated is not the same as being more intelligent.

So if we found an accurate way to measure "intelligence" (big topic right there) and plotted that against qualification level for a large number of people on a scatter graph, you think that you would find no correlation?

As I said, one does not imply the other. But the correlation is there.
Original post by Desi123

No its just the white privileged people have more say and safety than immigrants do, and the guy above was talking about remain voters being mindless guardian readers, I retorted with him being white and privileged because he spoke about his education and put himself at a station of superiority, like most of the people on this thread, like you, Desi, a white privileged female, btw I'm a female immigrant.
strong catfish. mirin female account to hustle reps tho

I lurk normal misc :ninja:

On topic: seen most of this saltiness on TSR, tbh. Comments on news sites are usually more balanced. People's ages on here are really showing, most probably haven't even left uni and supported themselves :lol:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Samiz
Good joke. That's why the EU ignored Denmark voting against the Maastricht Treaty, forced the extreme austerity of Greece, asked Ireland to vote on the Nice treaty twice because the first result was not what they wanted. France and Netherlands voted against EU constitution but it was passed anyway. But sure, the EU is a democratic organisation, my bad!

That's what they showed -- who really knows what goes on behind closed doors though? Media only tells you what it wants to tell you, governments only show you what they want to show you. I believe negotiation is at the heart of every decision the EU makes.
Reply 136
Original post by Desi123
das it

This is art.
Original post by Desi123
I lurk normal misc :ninja:

On topic: seen most of this saltiness on TSR, tbh. Comments on news sites are usually more blaanced. People's ages on here are really showing, most probably haven't even left uni and supported themselves :lol:

gjdm
Original post by infairverona
Leave voters being older is not at all analogous with leave voters being less intelligent. Age is not subjective, you are 60 or you're not. You concede yourself that having a degree is not always indicative of intelligence, and frankly I think anyone who chooses not to attend uni in order to work is smarter than, say, someone who goes to Southampton Solent to do media studies. Lots more people go to university these days and anyone with almost any combination of level 3 education can get into a uni somewhere for some course, so having a degree is no longer a reliable indicator of intelligence. There is no other real way of measuring the intelligence of voters, and measuring how many people with a degree voted leave or remain therefore only produces largely irrelevant information

[e] Not to mention 'having a degree' is remarkably ambiguous with regards to the overall result. Again a personal view but I don't think going to a rubbish uni and simply obtaining a third class degree makes you intelligent by any means. Yet by saying 'having a degree means you are more intelligent' we must conclude that someone with a 3rd is more intelligent than someone with no degree at all, which I do not agree with.

Have a read of my post just a minute ago, responding to someonewith a similar reply to yours.

I mentioned age just so it's clear that no (reasonable) person is saying Leave voters are stupid and Remain voters intelligent. Like with age, there are plenty of older Remain voters and plenty of young Leave voters. But on average Leave voters are older.
Have a read of my post just a minute ago, responding to someonewith a similar reply to yours.

I mentioned age just so it's clear that no (reasonable) person is saying Leave voters are stupid and Remain voters intelligent. Like with age, there are plenty of older Remain voters and plenty of young Leave voters. But on average Leave voters are older.

Yes, but as I said age is a measurable variable. I don't believe intelligence is, so I don't think I will accept 'on average leave voters are less intelligent'. Happy to agree to disagree, I'm not going to labour my point (I'm sure you've had similar responses)

Quick Reply

Latest