The Student Room Group

People who claim Brexiters are less intelligent than Bremainers...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by infairverona
Yes, but as I said age is a measurable variable. I don't believe intelligence is, so I don't think I will accept 'on average leave voters are less intelligent'. Happy to agree to disagree, I'm not going to labour my point (I'm sure you've had similar responses)

Precisely
Original post by infairverona
Yes, but as I said age is a measurable variable. I don't believe intelligence is, so I don't think I will accept 'on average leave voters are less intelligent'. Happy to agree to disagree, I'm not going to labour my point (I'm sure you've had similar responses)

What I was saying in my last reply was that, yes, of course age is different in that aspect. I brought age into it to explain the difference between saying on average Leave voters are less intelligent and just saying Leave voters are less intelligent.

As to the measurable aspect, what do you think we would see if we plotted "intelligence" (having found an agreed way to measure it) against qualification level on a scatter graph?

It is easy to avoid answering by saying that IQ tests aren't reliable and so on, but we are assuming we can measure intelligence accurately.
lol @ A* in A-level make me smart. On the first page.
Original post by TercioOfParma
I'm predicted ABB and I voted leave, I don't think those grades makes me stupid.

*make.

Apologies bossman.
Original post by Armpits
lol @ A* in A-level make me smart. On the first page.

That is basically what I was thinking. LMAOOO.
Here's Tommy, Tommy is a working class "lad" who left school after failing GCSEs.
Tommy voted Leave because he didn't want them immigrants to come over ere, take his job and increase his housing costs.
Little did Tommy know, that actually it's quite hard to stop free movement without severing trade agreements with the EU.
Tommy did not care about the economy and trade agreements and the banks anyway, as he didn't care about the wan**** in London dressed in suits. Had Tommy only known how much the banks affect his life, from social benefits to job vacancies, he would have voted differently. Tommy also voted leave because he wanted the 300 mil pounds to be spend in the UK, but he didn't know that the effect on the economy will far outweigh any savings we make from our EU membership, let alone the effects of the imminent Scottish separation.

Tommy is the example of stupid, uneducated voter the Remainers are talking about. He isn't representative of the whole Leave spectrum, surely. But had all the "Tommies" gave it a bit of thought, the outcome would have been different.
Original post by mercuryman
*make.

Apologies bossman.

indeed, doze gradess don't makes me stupid.
Original post by TercioOfParma
indeed, doze gradess don't makes me stupid.

You got better GCSEs than me so I can't deny your cleverness :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oShahpo
Here's Tommy, Tommy is a working class "lad" who left school after failing GCSEs.
Tommy voted Leave because he didn't want them immigrants to come over ere, take his job and increase his housing costs.
Little did Tommy know, that actually it's quite hard to stop free movement without severing trade agreements with the EU.
Tommy did not care about the economy and trade agreements and the banks anyway, as he didn't care about the wan**** in London dressed in suits. Had Tommy only known how much the banks affect his life, from social benefits to job vacancies, he would have voted differently. Tommy also voted leave because he wanted the 300 mil pounds to be spend in the UK, but he didn't know that the effect on the economy will far outweigh any savings we make from our EU membership, let alone the effects of the imminent Scottish separation.

Tommy is the example of stupid, uneducated voter the Remainers are talking about. He isn't representative of the whole Leave spectrum, surely. But had all the "Tommies" gave it a bit of thought, the outcome would have been different.

And this is it.
Reply 149
I don't think grades and academic achievement correlate with someone's decision to vote. For example, I'm pretty sure someone may have a Master degree in Medicine and voted leave, whilst someone who didn't go to university but runs a very successful medium-sized, nation-wide business voted remain.

The point is, everyone comes from different walks in life. I voted remain purely because of looking at how the economy could be affected due to competition of trading goods at a more expensive price. I don't hold all A*s at GCSE, and I'm only predicted two A's and a B at A level. This makes me no different to another individual who amassed bigger achievements than me.

My impression from TSR is that everyone is judging each other on grades but not on the individual's qualities that makes up their personalities. One vote, one person - one result. Nothing is ever going to change that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by richpanda
You usually start with 'people with a university degree are more likely to vote remain'. This is 2016. Anyone who can get 2 D grades at A level can get in to some university, albeit not often a quality university.

Let's take Kerry and James. Kerry is 22, and has just received her 2.2 in American Studies from the University of Wolverhampton. She voted remain because she wants to 'experience life' in Europe, and being in the EU will mean that she won't have to apply for a visa or pay roaming charges when she's on holiday before returning to work in a call centre.

James is also 22 and is the co-owner of a building contracting company that he started when he was 19. He voted leave because cheap migrant workers undercut British workers, and he is also worried about how the EU is becoming more authoritarian, and Turkey potentially joining it. He owns a home, has no debt and is called a racist by people online.

Still think a degree makes you more intelligent.

Lastly, the idea that Leave voters aren't just uneducated in general, but are also uneducated on the referendum. Because surely if they were educated, they'd vote remain, right? Right?.

Us working and even lower middle class people are fed up of being told what to do, how we're stupid and uneducated. Whilst you're sitting drinking coffee and eating artisan bread and reading the Guardian, we see nothing of benefit from the EU.

So according to you a 22 year old co-owner, doesn't want to employ migrants because their cost of labor is cheap... .... ....?

How is EU all of a sudden authoritarian and stop James from running his business? How is Turkey joining EU going to cripple his business? Also where are his raw materials coming from? Outside EU? Within EU? You didn't really think that one through did you?

@Bold: What exactly are you being told to do?
Original post by richpanda
Precisely. You can be dumb as hell and still go to university.

Absolutely nothing!

But if dumb people go to uni wouldn't they have their minds opened by the more intelligent?

I never went to uni and have been surrounded and befriended by the unintelligent my whole life.

They don't even read books !! I'm not kidding.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I got 4 A*s at A level and voted leave
Bit of a brag but I am sick of people trying to insinuate I must be stupid by extension..

Yeah,they overlook the fact that you might just be racist.
Original post by hellodave5
What about our economy? Predictions aren't particularly good now.

Generally I would say that as a general rule those that voted out were more likely to have done so without thought to the consequences. Though this is of course not applied to everyone, but unfortunately it seems many were simply manipulated. It's very upsetting, far far more than the actual outcome.
I think a university education can sometimes provide protection against such manipulation - but again, you don't have to go to university to develop the ability to critically appraise information (or that it is something every university student develops the ability to do).

I thought I was going to agree with this post but I couldn't disagree more.

The overwhelming majority of leave voters have been itching to vote leave for YEARS.

It's no doubt true that a few 100,000s were convinced by untruths to vote leave but if any dide were 'manipulated ' it was surely the remainers.

I think one reason remain got so many votes is because a lot of people will have believed the utter crap Osbourne and Cameron came out with might actually be true and didn't want to take a risk.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zerforax
Right.. using two very different and one off (biased) examples shows how intelligent you are.

Curiously, if James is a business owner, why would he be against paying lower wages? Would increase his profit margins.

Because it leads to more skiving and a less happy ship thus it doesn't always lead to more profit.
American studies bwahaha
Original post by Lord Gaben
If anything, James would employ cheaper labour, because it will mean that he would have more money left for himself at the end of the day. So, I don't really follow your logic.

No one's saying that Leave voters are uneducated, but someone on here already showed a graph, which shows a correlation between educational level, and one's voting preferences, with those voting to remain being more likely to be better educated than those voting in favour of leaving.

Yes I have seen such graphs but 40years ago only the top 10 %went to uni.

And A levels were much harder to pass.

It was either uni or down t'pit in many parts of the country north of Watford.

Or so I was lead to believe by my elders.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
And as for calling Brexiters stupid, my brother and sister voted leave. One of them has a degree from Kings College in Neuroscience and the other is graduating with a first class honours in Languages from Oxford.

Sad that they're considered stupid when they really aren't.

They may have been unduly influenced by the Telegraph. Some of their articles were very convincing.
Original post by Lord Gaben
No one's allowed to work for £3 an hour. It's against the law.

Original post by sorry13
brexit don't even have a f*cking exit plan
and yet somehow leavers feel somewhat ingratiated by the sheer disorganisation of their decision
p.s. you can use adverbs in the context of my sentence, if you knew who i was under my pseudonym you'd think twice about your crude words
and i'm not 7, i just happen to be part of the demographic that feels unwanted and ostracised from UK society since the outcome of this referendum was revealed

and when it is further cemented by 55+ voters saying "get the muslims out" on Channel 4 news, it's hard not to believe that we live in an inherently racist country
here's why people are uneducated, if you're leaving because of immigration, let me tell you now, they won't fix it, immigration will continue.
if you're complaining about the finances, blame the Tory government in power that we voted in democratically, that made cuts to education, the disabled, the NHS, and beyond.

please don't bloody patronise me on Student Room, it was the wrong vote, watch everybody suffer as a consequence of leaving the EU. watch it happen.
as for my grammar, i'm feeling pretty lazy

I could speak like this, with capital letters in all the right places, with all the correction punctuation. But you know what, I can't be bothered.

fk u m8 where mi fukkin ciggies im so uneduqqated yh xxxx

I am largely in agreement with your sentiment and understand how you feel. But I specifically wanted to make a point about your 55+ man saying Muslims out.

I have no doubt that a very significant percentage of the population would love to ban the immigration of Muslims. I have come to this conclusion from reading 1000s of comments by intelligent people on the Times website over the last 4 years or so.They are completely upfront about it.

But what I'm not clear about is whether you are saying it's the wrong vote because it panders to these people or because these people voted out for the wrong reasons.

The fact is that immigration played a large part in the outcome and people who have had enough of uncontrolled immigration include the intelligent. The thing is however, to win the vote they needed large numbers of the less intelligent to vote the same way.
If you are an unintelligent person living in a northern town that has been changed by immigration beyond recognition you were perfectly entitled -indeed almost obliged I dare say,,to vote leave in the referendum.

It was either that or trust Westminster MPs to keep their promises.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending