The Student Room Group

Remain camp were dreadful

The simple matter is that there is no better alternative to what we had. Whatever we get next, we will probably still pay around the same, have free movement of people, and be subjected to the EU regulations. We had sovereignty, as discussed by the Liverpool Law professor.

For the record, we are one of the lightest regulated countries. We have benefitted hugely from the influx of labour to offset our aging population. Studies have shown that they add more to the economy and that immigration has barely depressed wages if at all. Countries such as Norway pay around the same, if not more per Capita for access to the single market.

What was the point in leaving, and why couldn't the remain camp make this clear?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NoFunAtParties
The simple matter is that there is no better alternative to what we had. Whatever we get next, we will probably still pay around the same, have free movement of people, and be subjected to the EU regulations. We had sovereignty, as discussed by the Liverpool Law professor.

For the record, we are one of the lightest regulated countries. We have benefitted hugely from the influx of labour to offset our aging population. Studies have shown that they add more to the economy and that immigration has barely depressed wages if at all. Countries such as Norway pay around the same, if not more per Capita for access to the single market.

What was the point in leaving, and why couldn't the remain camp make this clear?

Because all of remains arguments were pragmatic and fear mongering whilst the opposition used statistics and common sense
Original post by Dieselblue
Because all of remains arguments were pragmatic and fear mongering whilst the opposition used statistics and common sense

What statistics and what common sense?
Reply 3
Original post by Dieselblue

^^^^
*sarcasm detected*

But yes the Remain campaign was rubbish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
^^^^
*sarcasm detected*

But yes the Remain campaign was rubbish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Never sure on here, I'm way too new!
It's ridiculous the campaign was hijacked by power hungry conservatives, but even Farage is less to blame than the complete incompetence of Cameron et al
tbh both campaigns were saying "don't get into his van, get into mine and we will have a lovely time...my sweeties are much nicer than his"
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Both campaigns were dreadful and full of lies.
At the end of the day, who is best to trust ? :/
Original post by the bear
tbh both campaigns were saying "don't get into his van, get into mine and we will have a lovely time...my sweeties are much nicer than his"

Hey, it's the super rep guy, I feel honoured! Congratulations on all the gems! (Hope i'm saying this right 😂)

I mean, compare it to the Scottish referendum. The fact that there was no worked alternative killed them - e.g. The uncertainty about the pound. But they barely played on that here, and it means we're out of the EU
Original post by DomiNateTricks
At the end of the day, who is best to trust ? :/

I trusted the economics experts, the law experts and business, science etc experts more than i did Gove, who's tired of experts
I watched that liverpool law professor, he said we had sovereignty because we had the theoretical supremacy, just like the queen has theoretical power to do what she wants in the UK... the reality is quite clearly the opposite when our parliament is subject to scrutiny and ultimate subservience to a supranational organisation, 3/5 of our laws are made elsewhere and we are ever forced to accept the erosion of the nation state and bend our knee to the dreams of eurocrats with no sense of reality.
Original post by AverageExcellence
I watched that liverpool law professor, he said we had sovereignty because we had the theoretical supremacy, just like the queen has theoretical power to do what she wants in the UK... the reality is quite clearly the opposite when our parliament is subject to scrutiny and ultimate subservience to a supranational organisation, 3/5 of our laws are made elsewhere and we are ever forced to accept the erosion of the nation state and bend our knee to the dreams of eurocrats with no sense of reality.

Do we really bend our knee? We had a good compromise. We weren't in the Euro, numerous bills didn't include us because we didn't to be in them. The amount of laws is negligible, it's the impact of those laws. Certain things i agree with. The Common Agricultural Policy was a disaster. And the EU is not perfect. But we have no plan now, nothing we could get would be better than what we had. We'll still be subject to those laws if we want access to the EU
David Cameron failed us and Jeremy Corbyn failed us. I personally think that bringing Ruth Davidson in earlier on and making her a more prominent voice would have really benefited us.
Reply 13
Leave campaign was tremendously dishonest in suggesting we will have "control over our borders" and remain campaign tremendously stupid to not say this. I dunno how many people voted leave because of immigration alone..
Note I am not salty or anything as I voted leave
Original post by tanyapotter
David Cameron failed us and Jeremy Corbyn failed us. I personally think that bringing Ruth Davidson in earlier on and making her a more prominent voice would have really benefited us.

Very good point. You would've hoped a competent Conservative would've stuck out more than she did!
Reply 15
Original post by AverageExcellence

unless you live in Westminster I don't see why this would be an issue. At least the Scottish get to complain about laws being made elsewhere - they genuinely want independence. The rest of the country seems happy to let their MPs meet hundreds of miles away and make decisions. It's only when they make those decisions abroad that people get angry.
Original post by JoeK6
Yeah, both were bad before the campaign, but even worse after.

Nigel Farage stating he pretty much lied, and Boris Johnson going into hiding.

Nicola Sturgeon undermining democracy and the UK, David Cameron resigning when he said he'd stay no matter what, and the Labour party deteriorating.

Frustrations from people on both sides are pretty understandable...

Really, this division amongst people is partly down to these lot. Fact is, many people have lived in UK whilst it's been in the EU but haven't lived in an independent UK themselves. For now, we all need to objectively give this a chance and decide for ourselves whether life in or out of the EU is better before we determine the future based on speculation. Who knows, people on either sides might like being in the EU, or may alternatively dislike it - to which point, we can vote again later down the line.

I agree completely. I think it's important to reflect upon the failings of remain (as, quite clearly i believe we should have), but with that out of the way, we should give this a chance. Let's make the best of a bad situation, and maybe it'll turn out to be a good one
Reply 17
My main issue with the Leave campaign mainly has been the aftermath - seriously, I should not be hearing statements like:

"After the referendum the Leave campaign will need to regroup and come up with a plan"

That's not the line you hear about the winners.
Original post by lerjj
unless you live in Westminster I don't see why this would be an issue. At least the Scottish get to complain about laws being made elsewhere - they genuinely want independence. The rest of the country seems happy to let their MPs meet hundreds of miles away and make decisions. It's only when they make those decisions abroad that people get angry.

How can the European Union have the UK's best interests at heart when it must compromise with 27 other nations many of which with different (and often opposing) directions? At least the UK parliament hopes to achieve what is best for the country, if we keep localising it then you might as well say why do i have a local councillor who doesn't reflect my views.

A national parliament isn't perfect but it offers far better scope to deliver on the national interest than the EU does
Reply 19
Original post by JoeK6
Yeah, both were bad before the campaign, but even worse after.

Nigel Farage stating he pretty much lied, and Boris Johnson going into hiding.

Nicola Sturgeon undermining democracy and the UK, David Cameron resigning when he said he'd stay no matter what, and the Labour party deteriorating.

Frustrations from people on both sides are pretty understandable...

Really, this division amongst people is partly down to these lot. Fact is, many people have lived in UK whilst it's been in the EU but haven't lived in an independent UK themselves. For now, we all need to objectively give this a chance and decide for ourselves whether life in or out of the EU is better before we determine the future based on speculation. Who knows, people on either sides might like being in the EU, or may alternatively dislike it - to which point, we can vote again later down the line.

I agree with what you're saying, sorry to be picky but Nigel Farage didn't lie, as a lot of people seem to think.

The Vote Leave Campaign used the £350m figure, Farage wasn't part of this official campaign and even said himself in the past that he personally wouldn't have used that figure and preferred the £10b per year net figure.

So the Official Vote Leave campaign lied, but this does not make it any more acceptable. As a Leave voter the thing that annoyed me most was the perseverance of the £350m per week; it's not as if using the correct figure would have made it sound much better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending