Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tips for an Average Student to Get Into Uni

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I am the type of student with average grades at school and I was wondering how can I get into the top universities. I'm only in year 9 but is there anything I could do to help.

(Original post by fatmaothman)
    I am the type of student with average grades at school and I was wondering how can I get into the top universities. I'm only in year 9 but is there anything I could do to help.
    You are in Year 9 - the most important thing at this stage is getting good GCSEs, and maybe a start on work experience.

So what you need to tackle is 'average grades', and you need to be pushing yourself for better grades, to get the best that you can to put you in the best place possible for when it comes to Year 11, then getting to a 6th form, and so on - it starts with good GCSE results.

You have to think about how you could improve your grades, whether you need to do more work at home, make more notes, focus on subjects, use youtube videos to learn stuff, etc.

Do everything you can in your GCSE's, especially English and maths. In my school maths was a real push as grade boundaries are getting tough. A good level of experience is also likely to earn you brownie points, for example volunteer work or things like Duke of Edinburgh if you do that or even guides/explorers because it shows a variety of skills. But yes start revising now, not too much but a little here and there it will really pay off. Take a look at the courses going and things that take your fancy, You don't have to know what you want to do now but its always good to have an idea.

And finally don't stress too much you're still young and you have plenty of time to grow and make mistakes have as much fun as you can but be wise.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.