The Student Room Group

Number of GCSE needed for oxbridge?

Is 9A*s-A Gcse Grades enough compared to someone else taking 12 Gcse?. Does the number of gcse I get put me at a disadvantage to some one who has like 12 gcse?
Very unlikely, GCSEs are slightly more important for Oxbridge but its more quality over quantity, plus as long as you have good A Levels then it shouldn't matter
Reply 2
In Oxford, the number of A*'s at GCSE and the proportion of A*'s at GCSE are both equally weighted when considering an application. So, basically, someone who achieves 11 A*'s out of 14 GCSEs may have a higher number of A*'s, but their proportion will be less than someone who only did 9 GCSEs but got A*s on all nine.

So, no, technically you shouldn't be put at a disadvantage for a lower number of A*'s, as long as you work hard in those subjects and achieve top grades in all of them.

Remember, though, A-levels are far more important than GCSEs - so don't be upset if you don't get what you wanted, there's always the chance to get into Oxbridge by investing a lot of effort into your subjects at sixth form/college. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I don't get the big fuss over Oxbridge. They are only famous because they are rich. There are better universities for most courses.
Reply 4
Original post by hchc
I don't get the big fuss over Oxbridge. They are only famous because they are rich. There are better universities for most courses.

its all about the title and prestige that comes with going oxbridge
Reply 5
Original post by Aamna-
In Oxford, the number of A*'s at GCSE and the proportion of A*'s at GCSE are both equally weighted when considering an application. So, basically, someone who achieves 11 A*'s out of 14 GCSEs may have a higher number of A*'s, but their proportion will be less than someone who only did 9 GCSEs but got A*s on all nine.

So, no, technically you shouldn't be put at a disadvantage for a lower number of A*'s, as long as you work hard in those subjects and achieve top grades in all of them.

Remember, though, A-levels are far more important than GCSEs - so don't be upset if you don't get what you wanted, there's always the chance to get into Oxbridge by investing a lot of effort into your subjects at sixth form/college. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

but would't the student with 11a*s out of 14 gcse stand out and look better than someone with 7a* 1A and 1B?
Original post by theBranicAc
Is 9A*s-A Gcse Grades enough compared to someone else taking 12 Gcse?. Does the number of gcse I get put me at a disadvantage to some one who has like 12 gcse?

It's fine. Unless you're applying for Medicine, all they want to see is that your GCSEs are generally good (and even that can be overlooked by obvious signs of improvement). Don't stress.

Quick Reply

Latest