The Student Room Group

2 weeks boots summer placement (1st Year)

I have my boots summer placement next week and was just wondering what to expect ie. do they expect me to deal with patient queries, will I spend most of my time in the dispensary or on the counter. I'm quite nervous for this placement, and I read a blog about somebody who did EVERYTHING, she spoke to doctors, did OTC sales, MURs, and since I'm a first-year student I hope they don't expect too much. So could anybody let me know how they found the experience, and what to expect. Thank you xx
Reply 1
Original post by Psandhu126
I have my boots summer placement next week and was just wondering what to expect ie. do they expect me to deal with patient queries, will I spend most of my time in the dispensary or on the counter. I'm quite nervous for this placement, and I read a blog about somebody who did EVERYTHING, she spoke to doctors, did OTC sales, MURs, and since I'm a first-year student I hope they don't expect too much. So could anybody let me know how they found the experience, and what to expect. Thank you xx

A: Yes. Expect a very busy dispensary, the safe sales of medication, till working, referring patients on to the pharmacist and stock taking etc
Sorry I'm a bit late now but thought I would reply in case anyone else is still waiting to do theirs. I know a lot of people who did boots summer placements and it varies hugely depending on where you go. At some places they will show you how to dispense and you may be expected to serve people at the counter and take telephone calls, it's daunting at first but you will soon get used to it. If someone wants OTC advice then there is no shame in reading the box or just asking the pharmacist. Unfortunately some of my friends had very different experiences and weren't allowed to do much at all during their placements. Some branches have their dispensary and OTC areas kind of separate so you might only spend time at one. You could possibly be asked to speak to a doctor, particularly if you're at a branch that's joined on to a doctors surgery but it would probably just be passing on a message from the pharmacist like 'the things on this prescription interact'. You definitely won't be asked to do an MUR as that is something an accredited pharmacist would carry out.

The important thing is don't be afraid to ask for help, you will probably find yourself asking questions all day long and feeling like you're bugging the staff but they've all been in your position to start with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending