The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have done the RLSS National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ). You have to be a descent swimmer.
Reply 2
Yeah im a fairly strong swimmer, just reading the requirements..

All candidates must be aged 16 years or over on the start date of the course and be able to meet the following fitness criteria:

* Jump or dive into deep water
* Swim 50m in 60 seconds
* Swim 100m continuously on both front and back stroke
* Tread water for 30 seconds
* Surface dive to a depth of 1.8m
* Climb out of the pool unaided

Im confident i can do all that, however my backstroke is not brilliant, and its somthing i can improve on. How far exactly is 50M on a standard sized pool? 2 lengths?

It says the following is taught....What space of time is this? because ive only got the summer months to complete this and do the job, until uni starts.

Course content:

The components of the course include:

UNIT 1 - The Principles of Lifesaving and Swimming Pool Supervision

and

UNIT 2 - The Application of Supervision and Rescue in a Swimming Pool

including the following:

* Lifeguard protocols and procedures
* First Aid
* C.P.R.
* Health & Safety
* Rescue techniques

Cheers..
Reply 3
Bear_Grylls
Yeah im a fairly strong swimmer, just reading the requirements..

Im confident i can do all that, however my backstroke is not brilliant, and its somthing i can improve on. How far exactly is 50M on a standard sized pool? 2 lengths?

It says the following is taught....What space of time is this? because ive only got the summer months to complete this and do the job, until uni starts.

Cheers..

I wont worry about your back stroke as you wont use it. Yea, i am sure 25m is one length. The course will last for 1 week with the test day at the end.
Reply 4
Ok thanks for the info, ill see when my local leisure centre is next doing this course, out of interest how much did it cost?
Reply 5
My friends a lifeguard at his local pool, basically he was on course to be at olympic standard by around now but he sort of gave up because he found it boring (i think his parents pushed him into it when he was young). Anyway he went for this and now wants to become a coach.

Anyway just thought i'd add that he earns more than anyone else in our sixth form doing this so it is really useful.
Reply 6
Yeah I've done this course, it was fun - go for it :smile:
Reply 7
i'm down to do this next month, u have to do a certain number of hours (can't remember exactle how long) but we do two weekend crash courses (includes thurs night,fri night, all sat and sun). So quite a bit! Then u have the test at the end.
Reply 8
Amy iom
i'm down to do this next month, u have to do a certain number of hours (can't remember exactle how long) but we do two weekend crash courses (includes thurs night,fri night, all sat and sun). So quite a bit! Then u have the test at the end.

Good luck with it :biggrin:
Reply 9
Yeah I did the course, I did the intensive one week one.

Basically we did the theory, just read the book and make sure you know your 4 p's.

Reguarding the swimming side, you'll be fine some girl on my course failed her time swims yet still passed. Personally I think that was wrong but hey ho. As with the other stuff just talk loads and loads and you'll do well. And for spinal green for go, chest, head and then work down. Keep one hand on the head at all times otherwise you'll fail.

It'll be good, you'll have an ace time and me great people

Did mine in Cheadle last August woop

xxx
Reply 10
I'd like to say thankyou for the info also. I'm down to do this at the end of August. 08:30-17:00 Mon-Fri then a test on the Saturday. Looking foward too it.
Good old NPLQ. don't worry about the swimming aspect at all.

If you can swim 4 lengths without stopping you'll be fine.

As you've had the initiative to look up the course contents, you'll be above average intelectually.

For someone like you, and the majority of applicants: you pass as soon as your cheque clears.

It shouldnt cost more than £150. Mine was only £70, on the condition i worked at the pool afterwards.

I'll warn you now: lifeguarding sounds fun and is for your first 50-100 hours, but then it gets dull to the point of unconsciousness. Look for a pool where you'll be a centre assistant and therefore have other roles like setting up gym equipment and trampolines. Also be friendly to your supervisor (they'll be about 2 years older and have about 3 GCSE's). Get friendly with this person and your job will get a lot easier and more fun- think after hours skinny dips and bouncy castles :smile: :smile: .

Try and do the Beach Lifeguarding qualification if you've got a spare week over the Autumn/ Spring. That IS a challenge and a hell of a lot more fun.

Good luck
Reply 12
hmspinafore
Good old NPLQ. don't worry about the swimming aspect at all.

If you can swim 4 lengths without stopping you'll be fine.

As you've had the initiative to look up the course contents, you'll be above average intelectually.

For someone like you, and the majority of applicants: you pass as soon as your cheque clears.

It shouldnt cost more than £150. Mine was only £70, on the condition i worked at the pool afterwards.

I'll warn you now: lifeguarding sounds fun and is for your first 50-100 hours, but then it gets dull to the point of unconsciousness. Look for a pool where you'll be a centre assistant and therefore have other roles like setting up gym equipment and trampolines. Also be friendly to your supervisor (they'll be about 2 years older and have about 3 GCSE's). Get friendly with this person and your job will get a lot easier and more fun- think after hours skinny dips and bouncy castles :smile: :smile: .

Try and do the Beach Lifeguarding qualification if you've got a spare week over the Autumn/ Spring. That IS a challenge and a hell of a lot more fun.

Good luck

Thanks for your post, ive been a member at my local leisure centre for around a year now, so ive come to know some of the lifeguards and fitness instructors and they seem good people so the social aspect of it should also be good.

On a different note, has anyone done the YMCA course (the one to become a fitness instructor) cheers
Reply 13
It costs about £80.
Reply 14
Longtrousers
I have done the RLSS National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ). You have to be a descent swimmer.

You don't have to be a decent swimmer so much as just barely competent. It's frightening to realise how many people on my course gained their certificate for 2 years upon passing.

I became one because my life was swimming (for 11 years literally). Then I realised I was never going to reach the dizzy heights of 6ft 4 with size 14 feet and departed promptly before I got trampled on by people who were rubbish for the best part of their life.

Size matters it seems.

Regardless, speed is one thing whilst carrying out first-aid is quite another. It's good life skills regardless.
Reply 15
walshie
Size matters it seems.

Yeah the guy did seem very keen on me doing the course because im 6 foot 5 ;D
Reply 16
To those who have already done the course, is it essential that you can swim backstroke? If so i better get practising ;S
Backstroke isn't important as you can't pull a caualty to the side using this. You do however need to be able to do lifesaving backstroke i.e. on your back doing breststoke legs to move. Good luck. I just finished my course a couple of weeks ago and have a job lined up for August.
Reply 18
Ah if its just your legs then i think ill be ok lol, do you have to do it in your test?

oh and today i rang the guy doing it at my local pools...and its £220 :s might ask to see if i can get it reduced because im 18..but wow £220 is a lot..
Reply 19
Bear_Grylls
Ah if its just your legs then i think ill be ok lol, do you have to do it in your test?

oh and today i rang the guy doing it at my local pools...and its £220 :s might ask to see if i can get it reduced because im 18..but wow £220 is a lot..

Mine was also £220 or £250 with an added First Aid Qual.

Latest