The Student Room Group

Horses and Uni

Okay, so I ride somebodys horse for them, I have done for many years, we're eventing at be100 and aiming for novice this season. I'm hoping to apply to medicine for 2017 entry, but I want to keep riding too! She's a very talented horse and I want to take her as far as we can go (I'm hoping 1*/intermediate) but shes young and neither of us are going to be anywhere near ready before I go. I don't want her to be sold/loaned as I am selfish and want to be the one that does it with her, and of course she is my baby! But I also don't want her to stand in a field as she is too good for that. if I was lucky enough to get into my first choice uni it would be over an hours drive, and anywhere else would be further than that. And then I would have to think about the cost of a car and fitting riding around a job (which I hope I will be able to keep my current job, which is very close to the stables but a lot of unflexible hours), will I have time to commute and ride, and keep her fit enough to event at that level? I can't afford to move her closer to uni. I'm not even sure I can afford entries and living at uni etc...
I realise this post sounds pretty hopeless but has anyone fitted their horses around uni?
Reply 1
I have no experience of uni and horses being only 16, but as a fellow horse addict, i know exactly how you feel. Perhaps you could put her on a full loan with a contract of 2/3years? The income from this would no doubt help uni fee's, and there are plenty of avid riders without horses who would love to take on a horse for a few years. They could keep you updated and im sure you could visit her every so often. Hope you find a good method!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending