Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Perspective

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi there,

I, like many others have also started to make a blog. Inspired by the EU referendum, I have decided to start sharing my thoughts on issues relating to the modern day and the past. To begin with, you can see my first two posts relating to the EU. One was written before the result was announced and the other 24 hours after. (I hope you like them!)

In the future, expect to see a wider range of posts and I would be very grateful for any constructive feedback along the way.

Also, here's the link to my wordpess blog which also has any blog posts and extra stuff if you're interested: https://finnpotter.wordpress.com/

- Finn

The EU – My Perspective (23.06.2016)

The voting for the referendum which has dominated UK headlines for what seems like an eternity has finally reached its conclusion. When I wake up tomorrow morning, I, along with the rest of the world will receive news of what has been billed to be the most important, controversial and generation dividing vote in living memory - a vote for which I had no part in.
    It was not because I couldn't be bothered to vote or because I did not know how I would vote, it was simply because I was/am a few months too young. I hasten to add that I have no gripes with the voting age and of course I understand the line has to be drawn somewhere in the sand but it does leave me in a fairly unique position of having the course of the country I live in, for which I have the entirety of my adult life yet to experience in, dictated entirely by others.

Of course it is true that not much may come as a result of this referendum - at least not immediately. I will wake up tomorrow, go to school and continue my life in the exact same way as I would do had there not been a referendum at all. However, I believe regardless of the result, the increasing divide between euro-sceptics and euro-supporters will grow to a higher level than ever before, leaving the UK more divided and more hostile towards each-other than in recent memory.

If we do leave. Our path is not clear. From my perspective, those who voted out did so for very different reasons. Particularly over the most contentious issue of the debate. Immigration. Many will have voted for the out campaign in order to constrain immigration. On the other hand, others voted so that there could be increased immigration from countries outside of the EU such as from countries which are members of the commonwealth. Clearly whatever is decided over our new found 'sovereignty' some will not be happy with the decision over immigration.

How the leave campaign would deal with other issues such as the EU law making powers is also unclear. Those under the delusional argument that suddenly the UK will become a maverick nation able to completely decide its laws domestically and abroad will be disappointed. No doubt, a re-negotiation with the EU will result in concessions from both sides. Likewise, with any of the new fantastic trade deals the leave campaign have promised. As aforementioned, regardless of what happens, people will be unhappy.

On the otherhand, the remain campaign might breathe a sigh of relief if the vote swings their way. No doubt this would be a great result for David Cameron and co. and also a great result for fellow EU countries namely Germany and France. The current EU system as we know it would survive another day. However, whilst I have painted the leave campaign as divided, only united by the common theme of wanting to leave the EU, the same can be said for vote remain campaign supporters.

For example, many will have voted remain as they believe in the EU system and think that for all its faults, the principles of which it was founded are something that theUK should be a part of. Others will have voted remain to avoid the fear and uncertainty of two things. Firstly, to avoid the understandable fear of what might happen to the UK when it comes to trade with other countries and other issues. Secondly and also very understandably due to the fear of what might happen to political leadership in the UK. No doubt Boris Johnson, Michael Gove, Ian Duncan-Smith and Nigel Farage amongst others all stand to gain greatly if we vote leave. In truth, from a cynical point of view, a vote to leave could be seen as a vote for these key figures as potential future prime-ministers, a thought of which is certainly scary.

Throughout the entire campaign, only one thing has been certain amidst the conflicting facts, the accusations of fear-mongering and racism, and the intolerable debates where both sides have only succeeded in making the general population even more sick of the carefully crafted politically correct answers which do not answer the questions being asked. Change. That is certain. If we leave,change is obvious. If we stay, change is necessary. A remain result will not mean the end Euro scepticism but likewise a leave result will not result in the end of are interaction with our European neighbours.

I would liketo end this article on a slightly more positive note. Whilst this referendum has ripped the country in half, it does give us a chance to finally move past the referendum and move in whichever direction we as a country choose. If we remain, I hope we can focus on working within Europe with a renewed sense of interest and dedication. If we leave, I hope we will be proactive and wise about how we approach our new stance outside of the EU. Finally and most importantly, I hope the UK population accept the decision with grace. Now that the campaigns are over, the only thing that remains left to do is to make the UK as best we can from the decision we have made. This I believe is especially important for those, like me, who have yet to have our own impact on the shape and direction of the UK.

The EU – My Perspective – 24 Hours of Brexit (24.06.2016)

I'm sure most were surprised to hear the result of the referendum. I know I certainly was. The atmosphere as I entered my lessons today was mainly of sadness and worry over the future. As you might know, the under 24 year old demographic voted 72% remain, clearly showing how the majority of the next generation wished to be considered European as well as British but alas it was not to be. However, now the UK and the rest of the world must now get down to the business of life on the outside.

Firstly, let's discuss leadership. To no great surprise, David Cameron resigned. In an emotional speech in front of his home for the last six years he described the need for 'fresh leadership.' This being of no reassurance for most considering the potential candidate list for his replacement. However, Cameron's legacy is not sealed until we see how this all plays out. Certainly, he'll be known for this referendum in the history annals but on the whole his relatively safe centre-right leadership is something that might become dearly missed in the short-term for the UK. Secondly, Jeremy Corbin who perhaps saw his stock rise as potential prime minister following Cameron's resignation was swiftly handed a motion for a vote of no confidence somehow adding further to the unfortunate disarray of the Labour party. Other prominent figures such as George Osborne are predicted to tumble and both major parties now seem more divided than ever before.

Let's also talk about the UK. Or what might be left of it in the years to come. There are three major issues here. Firstly, the Scottish want another referendum (and understandably so). Due to the fact that 62% voted to remain. I find it perfectly justified for SNP to call for another vote. However, it again remains to be seen whether SNP will be able to get enough votes this time. Another issue is in Northern Ireland. Problems over the vote to leave have already begun. Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness has called for a border poll on a united Ireland which is bringing back memories of issues within Northern Ireland from the 20th century. Whether it will resurrect the same strong feelings in Northern Ireland remains to be seen but we can only hope it does not. Finally and perhaps most tragically, the fate of Gibraltar is now murky. Spain lies in waiting, ready to pounce over the controversially protected UK territory which voted overwhelmingly to stay in the EU.

Another issue lies with article 50. Not only has the UK not invoked the article to trigger the negotiations of leaving the EU (which it won't do for at least a few months), it is also a tedious two year process where in 27 countries will negotiate for their best interests collectively against the UK. On the other hand, we will begin the first of many hard negotiations alone. There is a lot of uncertainty over what will become of the UK/EU relations. Will Europe make an example out of us to prevent other countries from following are newly founded precedent? ...Again, we'll have to find out but it looks like we're in for the long haul on this one.

Brexit is exhausting and I think that is enough news for one day. All of the issues aforementioned are far more complicated and contentious than summarised above but let it be shown that they are the main headlines oftoday and the issues which will be discussed and argued for the foreseeablefuture. Of course there are many other important issues such as the economy which I have avoided in this article but they will be discussed in the future too.

I would like to finish with a small plea to historians. In my humble opinion, whilst many pro Brexit supporters may wish to consider this an independence day and a national holiday for the future - that is not what is at all and therefore, I sincerely hope it is not remembered as such. We have had independence for centuries. Yesterday, represented a decision to leave an organisation which we once chose to be part of. We as a country, have not been liberated from the shackles of imperialism or some sort of autocratic regime. We simply elected democratically to leave an organisation we once decided to join. Hopefully it is not a decision which will go down in history as an error to span the following decades.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.