The Student Room Group

Commuting almost 2 hours for graduate job

I recently got a great offer for a graduate job, however the commute is 1 hour 40 each way (average time). It means I probably would need to leave the house before 7am.

The thing is I've never lived out before as I had lived at home when I went to uni so this would be a first for me.

The rent in the area is about £800-£900 per month, it is quite steep but it's the cheapest I could find that's a decent place to live.

I don't know what is the best option for me. Is the commute too long or can I do it?

I already missed out at lot at uni when I lived at home, there will be a lot of graduates near where I work so I could miss out again but the extra money saved from living at home would be very nice.

Any advice please?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends on what the commute looks like. Will you be travelling on a single train? How much walking is involved?

Personally I think that 2 hour commutes are way too long. I tried it for 6 months and it made me miserable. You come back home and it's already time for bed before you head out again. If you can afford it, and have friends you can share the accommodation with, it's worth moving closer.
Reply 2
Original post by Tombola
It depends on what the commute looks like. Will you be travelling on a single train? How much walking is involved?

Personally I think that 2 hour commutes are way too long. I tried it for 6 months and it made me miserable. You come back home and it's already time for bed before you head out again. If you can afford it, and have friends you can share the accommodation with, it's worth moving closer.

The journey is

Walk to bus stop - 10-15 mins
A bus ride to the station - 10-15 mins
Tube journey - 15-20 mins
Railway journey - 35-40 mins
Bus to the office - 10-15 mins

It's expensive to live out, my friends are living in a luxury apartment but it's really nice and it'll take me 15 mins to walk to work.

Problem is I've never lived out before and I'm 22 so I'd be lost out there in the world lol
Reply 3
If it's the only offer you have had I would give it a go, but I promise you you'll get fed up of it quickly. It's not as bad during summer but winter is horrendous when its freezing/icy/snowy and its dark when you set off to work and when you leave. You get home and its time to eat and go bed before getting up again.
I do similar - with good traffic (I.e. schools off, no road works, no tractors) it can be 1hr10 door to door - normally its more 1hr30 each way. Difficult at first but you soon get used to it.

If public transport timings are the problem, have you looked at driving?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
I do similar - with good traffic (I.e. schools off, no road works, no tractors) it can be 1hr10 door to door - normally its more 1hr30 each way. Difficult at first but you soon get used to it.

If public transport timings are the problem, have you looked at driving?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have but it's a similar journey time, in fact it could be longer due to traffic.
I think its worth the rent tbh.
Sounds way too long. I've done shorter (30 minute walk and 1 hour train journey) and in winter, it was awful.

Is there anyone local who can give you a lift?
What are your hours going to be like at work? Will they be set and regular? Or is it likely that you may have a lot of changed deadlines and late hours?

If it is a steady 9-5pm then you can plan the commute and work out how to fill the commute time (although it's a lot of changes so you're unlikely to be productive such as working).

You don't really want to be travelling 4 hours a day if you're going to be working long hours.
Original post by Anonymous

When do you think you'll ever leave home?
If it were me, then it depends on the job. I have a friend who commutes 2h30mins every day.
I wouldnt do it and I would move closer becayse commuting is draining and will affect your performance at work.
If you are good your salary will rise. If you dont have much money then just rent a room.
That will kill your soul in weeks.

Think about winter - you'll never see daylight.

And also, you're in a graduate role. It's about time you started being an adult. Get out of your parent's house.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Sounds way too long. I've done shorter (30 minute walk and 1 hour train journey) and in winter, it was awful.

Is there anyone local who can give you a lift?

Nope

Original post by Zerforax
What are your hours going to be like at work? Will they be set and regular? Or is it likely that you may have a lot of changed deadlines and late hours?

If it is a steady 9-5pm then you can plan the commute and work out how to fill the commute time (although it's a lot of changes so you're unlikely to be productive such as working).

You don't really want to be travelling 4 hours a day if you're going to be working long hours.

9-5 fixed hours. Unlikely I need to work overtime but I don't fully know the operations of this role until I start.

Original post by threeportdrift
When do you think you'll ever leave home?

I was thinking until I had enough money to get my own house

Wow! Have you worked out how long that might be? If your parents own their own house, you'll probably inherit first!

Grow up and leave home - rent!
Nope

9-5 fixed hours. Unlikely I need to work overtime but I don't fully know the operations of this role until I start.

I did it for about 7 months and the commute time can feel like dead time. Ended up reading a lot of books but I was also able to work from home one day a week which made all the difference.

In London a lot of people want less than 30-45 minute commute but personally now I think I'd be fine with up to an hour.

Just depends a lot more on how you feel about the dead time and if you would get annoyed that you can't do much or if you're content to just read a book/watch stuff on phone/ipad etc?
1h40m is in the doable range, but it depends on the individual. they cna alayws try it for a week or a month and see what they think.
I was alwast an expert at learning how to get a short sleep.
You're going to have to move out one day as you're family are all going to die, leaving you all alone. How will you cope when you're 40 and your parents drop down dead? You need to stop being molly coddled and babied.

The long commute will screw you over and make your life absolute hell. It'll be better to move out for the sake of your own physical and mental health, as well as your self respect
There's your social life to consider too.

Imagine being invited out for a couple of drinks after work one week. Could be a couple of hours.

Your commute suddenly turns into 3hrs. And that's if you manage to catch it.

You get home at 1am.

You're up at 6 to get back to work.

You'll either not go out again - and risk not settling into your new job, not being seen as part of the team - or you'll burn the candle at both ends and kill yourself in the process.

Not worth it. Move out.
Three hours out of your day sucks. You will be shattered. And then there are the days when instead of 1h40 it takes three hours. It isn't worth it. You might be able to cut down rent costs by sharing a house / flat.

I don't envy you.

Good luck!
The journey is

Walk to bus stop - 10-15 mins
A bus ride to the station - 10-15 mins
Tube journey - 15-20 mins
Railway journey - 35-40 mins
Bus to the office - 10-15 mins

It's expensive to live out, my friends are living in a luxury apartment but it's really nice and it'll take me 15 mins to walk to work.

Problem is I've never lived out before and I'm 22 so I'd be lost out there in the world lol

That commute sounds awful. The time I was like "eh, seems okay" but that many changes will wear you out.

There's also a middle ground between living at home and a luxury apartment. Try looking for flats for professional sharers. If there's a room at your friends' place could you take that? If one room is significantly smaller you could probably get them to agree to you paying less for that one.

Quick Reply