Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
The journey is

Walk to bus stop - 10-15 mins
A bus ride to the station - 10-15 mins
Tube journey - 15-20 mins
Railway journey - 35-40 mins
Bus to the office - 10-15 mins

It's expensive to live out, my friends are living in a luxury apartment but it's really nice and it'll take me 15 mins to walk to work.

Problem is I've never lived out before and I'm 22 so I'd be lost out there in the world lol

I used to commute to uni. It was around 3 hours a day. Dropped out after 4 months. It makes you miserable. You're always tired.

If I could move out and cope, anyone would be. I moved to Uni of Reading. I couldn't cook. Still can't. Wasn't very good with people. But I survived. So if I can do it, anyone can. Go for it. You'll be amazed by how much you'll love it trust me. As you said it's a good job too.
In my opinion that is farrr too long to travel and add in how many different aspects there are - that is a lot of ways for it to go wrong and lengthen... you'll be looking at being out of the house 12 hours a day at least and that really doesn't leave you much time for yourself

if your main worry is coping by yourself, honestly you will pick up the basics quickly, you pay the bills, buy shopping and clean... they're your main things to get done, it's not big and scary
I've never actually been so unsure of a decision before. Obviously it's a big point in my life and my mum isn't supportive of the idea at all.

The thing is the job offer is too irresistible to turn down (good salary, good benefits, good role, etc...). I won't be saving as much money as I would if I work from home though. I do want to save up so I can afford to buy my own house and move out for good.

I guess I'm unsure of living out because i've never done this before and I don't know if I'm mentally ready to live alone. I know it sounds pathetic considering I'm 22 but I've been spoiled at home during university so I never had to worry about these kinds of things before.
If you are seriously considering giving up 4 hours of your day to commuting you're an absolute moron.

You work 8 hours, make it 9 by the time you've had lunch and misc faffing around. You add 4 hours on and you've got 13 hours. How long are you awake each day? Assuming you get 8 hours sleep, you will have a grand total of 3 hours each day, during which time you'll have to eat breakfast and dinner, prepare lunch and do whatever other chores exist.

You won't live a life, you'll be living to work. Grow up, move out and live somewhere 15 minutes away. Enjoy the extra 3 1/2 hours you have each day.
Eventually, you're going to have to move out and learn to do household chores. I think now would be a good time to do those things.

You need to think of more than just the money. Ok, it will cost you money to move out. But what about the time saved? You need a life too.

You don't have to live alone. Find a houseshare.
If you have to live there because there is no other available option:

1. Use the commute to read, eat prepared food, nap and plan ahead.
2. Save up in "resources" for a better place to live next year if your current situation is dire. This is in terms of time, expenditure and social life.
3. You want to keep commuting time to a minimum in the long run. Your living standards and quality of life are being reduced by commuting.
4. Two hours per day spread out over a year is 730 hours.
5. Always be optimistic and utilise the trade off from this situation versus what you would like.

imo the grass is always greener on the other side.
Original post by Anonymous
I've never actually been so unsure of a decision before. Obviously it's a big point in my life and my mum isn't supportive of the idea at all.

The thing is the job offer is too irresistible to turn down (good salary, good benefits, good role, etc...). I won't be saving as much money as I would if I work from home though. I do want to save up so I can afford to buy my own house and move out for good.

I guess I'm unsure of living out because i've never done this before and I don't know if I'm mentally ready to live alone. I know it sounds pathetic considering I'm 22 but I've been spoiled at home during university so I never had to worry about these kinds of things before.

You're going to have to do it at some point, and tbh living by yourself is piss easy as so liberating. You'll despise going back to your parents' house afterwards. How do you think thousands of 18 year olds manage moving out by themselves?

Grow up
Look into professional house share, it'll be far cheaper than renting your own place.

Had your transport been a direct journey it may have been doable, but you have to take 3 different forms of transport a day + walking on top. It WILL be a nightmare and you will end up being late from transport delays at least once.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending