Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anxiety whilst driving

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

So I am a pretty good driver and have been doing well in my lessons. However i'VE noticed I am always anxious whilst driving and this affects my reaction times or makes me not oay attention as much as I need to, I noticed this happens more whn i drive a manual rather than automatics, it's like i suddenly cannot multi task, I can drive fine without looking at gear box and can have good road sense. However I try and act calmer than i really am it's becoming a real problem for me as I feel like I'm overthinking and paniking all the time. i just want to be able to relax and drive.

I have had anxiety in general, so I know I need to address that. Just wondered if anyone had the same and how you got over it. I am so determined to get this over with and want to pass asap.

As with the learning of all skills, knowing what you need to do and practising the skill makes it more natural. Repetition helps you to "chunk" the multi tasks and convert the tasks into one driving scheme. Confidence grows with time.

Trying to hide your anxiety and wanting to pass asap is increasing the pressure (and with it the stress) that you are putting on yourself. You will be ready, when you are ready!

Judging by how you are coping, telling your instructor about your lack of confidence would be better than hiding your anxiety. You anticipate embarrassment, but they will help you to develop manual gear changing confidence.

Learn to breathe with the abdomen to reduce your anxiety and develop this technique at home. Then use it when driving (or any situation that helps, whether performance anxiety-related or not).

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.