The Student Room Group

Is Turkey regarded as a safe destination to holiday at?

Scroll to see replies

I plan to go there too one day InshaAllah...

Anyways, terrorists are like lightning - they strike hard and fast but they don't usually strike the same place twice in quick succession.... perhaps it's actually safest to go now? :u:
More than 2.5million British nationals visit the country every year, and the Foreign Office (FCO) says it is generally safe.
Reply 22
Not overtly dangerous theyve had some unpleasentness lately but in general its one of the safer countries in the world just avoid the boarder with syria/iraq/iran and the Kurdish areas.
Visited Istanbul in 2012 and stayed near Taksim, it's one of my favourite cities I've ever visited. There's a surreal blurring of the lines between European and Arabic culture which is just fascinating.

As far as whether its safe, who cares? No densely populated area in the world is particularly safe anymore, in fact the only time your physical safety can be guaranteed is when you're locked inside your own home. Some areas are more high risk than others but even in the most at risk areas, the number of people affected in dangerous incidents is a tiny miniscule fraction of the people that are living on or vacation there.

Safety is a farce. Just remember the next time you're standing in your local corner shop buying a pint of milk that the guy in line behind you could be suffering severe undiagnosed psychiatric problems and pull a pistol out to blow your brains up the walls point blank like festive confetti.
Original post by IanDangerously
Visited Istanbul in 2012 and stayed near Taksim, it's one of my favourite cities I've ever visited. There's a surreal blurring of the lines between European and Arabic culture which is just fascinating.

As far as whether its safe, who cares? No densely populated area in the world is particularly safe anymore, in fact the only time your physical safety can be guaranteed is when you're locked inside your own home. Some areas are more high risk than others but even in the most at risk areas, the number of people affected in dangerous incidents is a tiny miniscule fraction of the people that are living on or vacation there.

Safety is a farce. Just remember the next time you're standing in your local corner shop buying a pint of milk that the guy in line behind you could be suffering severe undiagnosed psychiatric problems and pull a pistol out to blow your brains up the walls point blank like festive confetti.

:biggrin: ta, will do mate.
Original post by Wilfred Little
:biggrin: ta, will do mate.

Ha I have such a realistically grim outlook on the world sometimes! :smile:
Reply 26
I was close to booking a trip to Istanbul (a city I want to see at some point) earlier this year but the spate of bombings put an end to it. The airport bomb then made me put Turkey off the radar for the forseeable future.

Quick Reply

Latest