The Student Room Group

3 or 4 A levels, also Physics or Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by J.Page
I'm in the exact same boat as you! 😂

Which one are you leaning towards?
Reply 21
The workload for me was essentially 6 A-levels. A2 maths, biology, chemistry, physics and also AS and A2 further maths. I coped fine. I would strongly advise you to get the whole specification of one of the subjects you're taking done in the holiday before you go back. It seriously reduces the workload hen you're at school. While I can't say doing this much affected me during the year, you realise at the end of the year - close to exams - that there's loads of past papers to get done. The amount of papers I did was ridiculous must have been over 150 papers.
I hate biology mind you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by ColossalAtom
Which one are you leaning towards?

Because I'm looking at an economics degree, maths is best for me! Maybe even Furthermaths...
Original post by Ano123
The workload for me was essentially 6 A-levels. A2 maths, biology, chemistry, physics and also AS and A2 further maths. I coped fine. I would strongly advise you to get the whole specification of one of the subjects you're taking done in the holiday before you go back. It seriously reduces the workload hen you're at school. While I can't say doing this much affected me during the year, you realise at the end of the year - close to exams - that there's loads of past papers to get done. The amount of papers I did was ridiculous must have been over 150 papers.
I hate biology mind you.

You must have god tier time management skills. Isn't biology just remembering a lot of things and how it works? Heard more people complain about chemistry.
Reply 24
I did Maths, Physics, ICT. Perfect combination. I don't understand people doing 4?? Why do 4 when you are only required to do 3? To drop one of later in the second year? Well you are doing 4 and that means more work so this decreases the chance of you focusing fully on the 3 that you are going to have to do later anyway. It's just absolutely pointless to do 4. Choose 3 so you can focus on them perfectly and do well in all 3 rather than doing 4 that will stress the hell out of you and take lots of time to do perfectly, and it will impact your life, and much less chance then doing well in all. Imagine your brain as fixed amount of water that will spread equally between 3 or 4 buckets. You can see that for 4, you are going to share more of the water.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reda2
I did Maths, Physics, ICT. Perfect combination.

Looks like you're going to do Computer Science?
Reply 26
Looks like you're going to do Computer Science?

Close, I will be doing Software Engineering, I just finished my A2. To answer your question, what are you planning on doing in university? That should be what you base it on. However keep in mind, most courses in most universities will required A-Level maths. But that is mostly for engineering courses and similar. This means if you are going to do anything similar to that, you need to pick Maths. But what is your other subjects?
Reply 27
You must have god tier time management skills. Isn't biology just remembering a lot of things and how it works? Heard more people complain about chemistry.

Much preferred chemistry. Did not like biology one bit. The thing is though, I did all of A-level and maths and further maths before I started the year. So it was almost like I was only doing 3 subjects - although recently at the end of the year it was quite hectic and I was very busy. Yeah I hated biology.

Quick Reply

Latest