The Student Room Group

Cambridge open day tips?

Hi all,

off to Cambridge open day on Thursday! Plan to go to a Psychology talk and sample lecture and visit King's and Christ's colleges. Any other tips? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
wear clothes
Knock on the doors of academics and ask them 1st year university standard questions to make the best impression.
Original post by louisedrake
Hi all,

off to Cambridge open day on Thursday! Plan to go to a Psychology talk and sample lecture and visit King's and Christ's colleges. Any other tips? Thanks :smile:

Ask as many questions as possible, especially of current students! Lecturers will always big up the course and uni, because they'll want you to go there

-What are people's favourite modules and why?
-Are there any modules they recommend you not take and why?
-How accessible is the health service (including mental health)
-Do they feel they made the right choice going to that uni?
-What has been their favourite part of uni so far?
-What had been their least favourite part of uni so far?
-What are there favourite non academic things to do at uni?
-What societies are they involved with and what do they think of them?
-How do they find exams and other forms of assessment?

Just a few questions you could ask :smile:
I went to today's open day at Cambridge. One of the students at Peterhouse College looked annoyed with my specified questions about the college. I don't think all students like answering a lot of questions.
Approach Cam reps and discuss your interests and accomplishments openly, do not try to impress. With a little luck and a lot of effort, you may be able to really engage with profs and others who come to meet you.

My daughter got into a long conversation with a prof and decided then and there that it was the place for her, that she would fit in. She was not looking to influence or impress someone who would be on the admissions committee, but to see if they enjoyed the exchange, were open, and encouraging.

Good luck. We could not have been more pleased with her experience at Cam and she is going straight into a PhD program next year.
Reply 6
Original post by alcibiade
... and she is going straight into a PhD program next year.

W00t! Did she get funding?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ColossalAtom
I went to today's open day at Cambridge. One of the students at Peterhouse College looked annoyed with my specified questions about the college. I don't think all students like answering a lot of questions.

Hi! I'm sorry about that - I'm a second year (medic) at Peterhouse and really love it here- everyone is usually really friendly, promise! I'm more than happy to answer any questions about Peterhouse/Cambridge if you still have any? :smile:
Original post by louisedrake
Hi all,

Bring your parents, siblings and grandparents. Make sure your parents ask hundreds of questions and bring a notepad and pen to write down EVERYTHING which is said. Lastly, wear the colours/tie of the college you are visiting.

Oh wait, that's what NOT to do.
Reply 9
Original post by Platopus
Bring your parents, siblings and grandparents. Make sure your parents ask hundreds of questions and bring a notepad and pen to write down EVERYTHING which is said. Lastly, wear the colours/tie of the college you are visiting.

Oh wait, that's what NOT to do.

Someone I saw brought a sibling who trolled him by wearing an Oxford sweatshirt.
Original post by jneill
Someone I saw brought a sibling who trolled him by wearing an Oxford sweatshirt.

Haha embarrassing family is why I went to all open days alone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending