The Student Room Group

Brexit Rhetoric Must Change

Scroll to see replies

Original post by generallee
Where is your hard evidence that this is taking place at a greater level than it was prior to Brexit?

There is a media narrative here, I am amazed you can't see that.. The police have reported a greater reporting of hate speech incidents, that is all and the press have tried to ramp it up.

These incidents are few and far between (compare refugee hostels getting burned to the ground in Germany) and yet there is a sort of moral panic. Totally absurd.

Honestly I think both are true, they aren't mutually exclusive. I have friends who have been abused recently who haven't experienced any abuse in the last ten years they've been here. I'd like to believe it was narrative only but I think there has been an increase in incidences as well as over-zealous media coverage.
Reply 41
The public behaving and being polite? Thatll be the day.
Original post by Damien96
if UKIP are the answer it's a stupid question.

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
Socrates
Reply 43
Original post by generallee
Glad that you agree that the democratic vote should be observed. Although it is rather depressing that this should even be in question from the losers. One of the hallmarks of our polity has always been that a vote is peacefully and graciously accepted. Some of the Remain side are acting like a strong man General in some nascent African state. The election was rigged! Run it again. Pathetic.

We are going to have to agree to disagree about this particular media narrative of a "surge" in hate crimes.

I say it is media hysteria. Groundless moral panic. And that the millions of differing nationalities and creeds and ethnicities are living together in our nation mostly in great peace. Just as they did before the vote.

I do agree about media panic and I certainly agree the behaviour of many in the Remain camp is obscene, demonising the poor and elderly for example.

I think both sides indulged, and it is an indulgence, in victim narratives that are rife in politics right now. Just look at Corbyn and Leadsom supporters.
Reply 44
Original post by Jebedee
Honestly I think both are true, they aren't mutually exclusive. I have friends who have been abused recently who haven't experienced any abuse in the last ten years they've been here. I'd like to believe it was narrative only but I think there has been an increase in incidences as well as over-zealous media coverage.

I think you are right and that both feed off each other.
Reply 45
Original post by otester
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
Socrates

We are one step away from politics descending into outright name calling
The idea that the country or individuals should be divided into two camps on the referendum issue is also laughable. People voting to remain and to leave did so for a wide spectrum of different reasons. I for example voted to leave. My doing so had absolutely nothing to do with concerns over immigration and not loads to do with an idea of sovereignty. As I saw it there were two options for fixing, what everyone agreed at the time was, a broken EU. We could either stay in and try to fix it, or we could leave and not only remove the UK from the broken union but also hopefully destroy the EU and start afresh with something else. I also did it because I have a pro-international outlook and didn't (to turn a phrase) want us to become little-europe. The notion that 28 special countries should be allowed to move freely amongst one another but that citizens from most other countries would have to get in line and hope for the best didn't really sit well with me. Why should immigrants from Spain get preferential treatment to immigrants from India by mere virtue of them being geographically closer to me?

Now, I've listed all that not to start an argument about the validity of my views or anything like that, but to point out that this really isn't the dividing issue that we are making it out to be, there was a wide spectrum of political views that spanned both remain and leave and I do believe that amongst both sides most people were voting the way they did because they were wanting what they thought was best for their country and for the people in it.

There are, however, two shameful groups of people who stand out in all this. You have the out and out racists who have been committing hate crimes and who have been incredibly cruel and xenophobic towards immigrants and you have the up themselves millennials (mainly) complaining about how the world hasn't been revolving around them as of late and how unfair it is that more people didn't care about them and their wants in all this. And to both groups my response is the same: grow the **** up and stop being *****. Most people, whether they like this situation or not are now trying to move on with it without animosity to those who voted differently to them and work together. So if you fall into the groups I've mentioned, perhaps try being an adult and doing that.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending