The Student Room Group

M3 v S3 v D1 for my 6th further math module. Who do you think should win the war?

Need help guys. Gonna start my A2.
I have four IAL subjects: math further math phy chem.
I had 5 units: C12 M1 S1 S2 and F1 for AS.
Now for A2 I think I am going to take C34 M2 F2 F3 and either M3/S3/D1.
I am taking F3 because apparently it is extremely valued by top universities (correct me if I'm wrong). I know its hard but for this reason I'm willing to take the challenge.
4 units make up my math, and 6 for further math. What do you think my 6th fm module should be? (you are free to comment about my other modules as well. trying to get all the help i can get!) :smile:
D1. Not sure about the difficulty of M3 but it is easier than S3 by some way.
As D1 is an AS module it could be considered slightly easier - meaning you could spend more of your time on FP3... :smile:
Reply 3
Taking a look at your other subjects - M3, no doubt.
D1
Original post by Ayman!
Taking a look at your other subjects - M3, no doubt.

Wrong. I've done M3, S3 and D1. It's a split between S3 and D1. S3 is just remembering how to do a test. D1 is probably on par with S3.
S3 if you want something easy and just want a grade
M3 if you want something interesting
DONT DO D1 ITS VERY VERY BORING

M3 if you want to do engineering/physics etc at uni
S3 if you want to do finance.

maybe, if you want to do computer science, D1 would be good.
Reply 7
Original post by Lucasium
Wrong. I've done M3, S3 and D1. It's a split between S3 and D1. S3 is just remembering how to do a test. D1 is probably on par with S3.

Why is it "wrong"?
Reply 8
Look up the specifications for each one and see which interests you the most.

Don't do a module simply because it's easier than the alternatives. You might end up hating it which can counteract how "easy it is". D1 is very boring (imo) and I imagine it will be useless to you, looking at your other subjects.
D1 is the easiest but is also the most painfully boring module ever

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say D1, but then I love decision and discrete maths :smile:
I think D1 is the best decision in this
Personally I have taken some of the modulus suggest and can say the following:

1. D1 - very easy unit in which you should just learn all algorithms and definitions.

2. S3 - the unit is also not hard itself. Only 5 chapters in it. However, grade boundaries for it are quite high and questions can be tricky (like last 2 tasks this year paper)

3. Do not recommend u to take FP3, because I have never heard that it gives advantages for top universities. Moreover, it is VERY VERY HARD

Have a nice day !!
Reply 12
After doing d1 and m3 this year I would honestly pick m3, this module is much more interesting, and helps so much making m2 a breeze. after putting off all year d1 was my worst exam

Quick Reply

Latest