Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

German speaking assessment

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

hi, I have a German speaking assessment on Wednesday and we had two weeks to learn answers for five questions including the unpredictables. I am only confident with the first two lines of the first paragraph or so, after that i just go blank. i dont even think my answers are worth above a B grade but my teacher wont give me any tips on how to improve to the next grade. i have tried saying it out loud, recording myself and playing it to listen and writing it out to see if its correct or not, but Im gaining nothing from it. any help and suggestions would be really appreciated.

To get a high mark, make sure you've included lots of tenses, connectives, complex structures etc. For example, use um...zu.. clauses or wenn... phrases. Make sure it's all grammatically correct - ask a friend who knows german or post it on Lang8 (a website where people will correct it for you).

As for learning it, I simply read it out loud a lot. It is tiring, but most people I know say it's the most effective way. Try and look at it whenever you can, and repeat phrases. Even if you don't know it, it doesn't hurt to go over it just before you go to bed, walking to school etc. If that really doesn't work for you, maybe listen to others read it, or write it out on post-it notes and stick it over your room. Good luck!

Also, don't worry about the surprise questions. They are really easy and simple to answer. One of mine was "what do you do you your phone?" to which I said play games, a phrase from when I started german, but still got the mark.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.