The Student Room Group

Social work masters - help???

Hi,
I'm doing a psychology and counselling undergrad and have decided this is not for me, however I've completed my second year so I am going to see the course through. I know my course is 'relevant' enough to apply to a social work masters, however I'm wondering if anyone knows how difficult it is to be accepted and how much voluntary work I should aim to complete?
I have already completed 4 years with youth offending service and done a short time at a youth club.

Thanks
Social Work Masters? What? There is a masters for social work?
Reply 2
I studied psychology at undergrad level and graduated 2 years ago, since then I've worked in a school and as a support worker. Although there were quite a few people who were in my masters interviews who were finishing their undergrad so I don't feel like they have a preference as to whether you're working or straight outta uni.
Regarding your application, I suppose reflect a lot on your experiences and how they've given you an understanding/knowledge of service users and what transferable skills. Also on your ucas application, you also need to discuss how you'd meet the academic rigor of the course and what skills your degree did (i talked about how a lot of psychological theories overlap with social work theories etc and skills from your dissertation etc)

I hope that's helpful. You can always pm if you want more info!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest