Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Applying for a student bank account with Santander

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Just now I had applied for a student bank account with Santander, I'd given all the details they'd asked of me, and everything was going fine until they sent me another email after their conformation email saying:

" Having carefully considered your application we regret that we are unable to offer you an account at the present time and your application has been declined.

In determining your eligibility for the above facility we consulted the following Credit Reference Agency: Experian Credit Report Services, PO Box 1135, Warrington WA55 1EP, 0844 481 8000, www.experian.co.uk

Please be aware the information provided by the credit reference agency is only one part of the decision-making process. Sometimes there may be no detrimental information held about you at the agency but we may not be able to accept an application simply because it does not meet our current criteria.

You will also receive a copy of the result of this assessment by post at your home address.

While we appreciate you may be disappointed with our decision, unfortunately we are unable to assist you on this occasion"

I'm not sure what to do at the moment, I don't know why they've rejected my application? This is the first time I've applied for a bank account given that I just turned 18 in january.

Any help on this matter will be hugely appreciated!
    Thank You!

(Original post by mercuryman)

Did you check you put all the details on your application correctly?

If so, have you ever applied for any other bank accounts since you were 18? Have you done anything which would make you think you would be declined for an account like unpaid debts or something?

You might want to go into a Santander branch and discuss it with them, or ask Experian for a statuory credit report which only costs £2. Worst case scenario unless if you committed fraud you should be able to get a basic bank account; this has virtually 0% interest and no overdraft so it's really only if you have no other choice.

Good luck
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.