The Student Room Group

Are my A levels good for a computer science degree?

Hello! I do (As AS's) :
Maths
Further maths
Physics
Chemistry

Will these make me attractive to admissions tutors at top universities for computer science like Imperial.
I know the entry requirements only say you need maths (and further maths is recommended), but will I be at a disadvantage for not having computing at A-level. I did it at GCSE but wanted to do something different at A-level as I find it quite easy to teach myself programming/computing.

In short, being brutally honest, will my A-levels make me an attractive candidate for a computer science degree and will I be at a disadvantage for not doing computing at A-level?

Thanks!
Reply 1
These are a perfect combination for Computer Science. You will not be at any disadvantage not having done an A-level in Computing.
Original post by Timlong365
Hello! I do (As AS's) :
Maths
Further maths
Physics
Chemistry

Will these make me attractive to admissions tutors at top universities for computer science like Imperial.
I know the entry requirements only say you need maths (and further maths is recommended), but will I be at a disadvantage for not having computing at A-level. I did it at GCSE but wanted to do something different at A-level as I find it quite easy to teach myself programming/computing.

In short, being brutally honest, will my A-levels make me an attractive candidate for a computer science degree and will I be at a disadvantage for not doing computing at A-level?

Thanks!

Yeah they're good, it depends more on the grades your getting though, not doing computing doesn't really matter much.
Hello! I do (As AS's) :
Maths
Further maths
Physics
Chemistry

Thanks!

It's perfect that you have maths but to be honest Imperial just strongly recommends further maths so I think you should have a good chance of getting in there. Doesn't matter if you don't have computing a level
(edited 7 years ago)
universities like math and science combinations for CS. if you get AAAA you can apply to oxbridge.
Reply 5
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
Yeah they're good, it depends more on the grades your getting though, not doing computing doesn't really matter much.

Aha. So do you not think it would be necessary to pick up computing as an AS next year to do along side my A2's to have a good chance for getting into top uni's?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Aha. So do you not think it would be necessary to pick up computing as an AS next year to do along side my A2's to have a chance for getting into top uni's?

As I posted above then not having done Computing A-level makes no difference to your application than if you had done it. Computing A-level is mostly worthless anyway, it has its good bits but there's also a lot of rubbish in it that's not relevant to studying CompSci at university.
Aha. So do you not think it would be necessary to pick up computing as an AS next year to do along side my A2's to have a good chance for getting into top uni's?

Nah, it's not necessary. Also, just doing the AS would feel like a waste of time to me tbh

I did Maths, Further Maths and Physics at AS, carried all 3 on to A2 and picked up Computer Science AS. I would say that there isn't really any need to do it.
Definitely doesn't matter studying Computing/Computer science (probably even makes it worse, that subject really killed the fun of computer science for me), it sometimes gives you an advantage as the university may reduce your offer if you've studied computing/compsci but I've only seen a few do this
I do maths/fm/chem and got a compsci offer for imp. Wouldn't bother with computing A level and also kinda sceptical about advantage of doing 4 a levels vs 3 (they'll give you a 4 level offer and won't be any more lenient, but maybe you have a better chance of getting an offer with 4)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending