The Student Room Group

Ask me about Egyptology!

2016 POST: I'm going to be starting an Egyptology degree in September. As it's a 'weird' subject, I usually get a lot of questions about it. Now I can answer them all in one place. Here we go!

2019 UPDATE: 3 years later, I now have a BA (1st Class, woohoo) in Egyptology, and a job! Welcome to adulting 101. Please feel free to continue to ask me Egyptological questions, though!

2021 UPDATE: 2 years later, I am finishing off my masters, and about to start teaching at a university as an associate instructor!

2023 UPDATE: This September, I'll be starting my fully-funded PhD in Egyptology!

---

Interested in studying Egyptology? Find out more here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4218528

---

This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Edminzodo
I'm going to be starting an Egyptology degree in September. As it's a 'weird' subject, I usually get a lot of questions about it. Now I can answer them all in one place.

Here we go!

Are you doing Bachelor or Masters?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Shazen
Are you doing Bachelor or Masters?

A BA/Bachelor's degree!
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm going to be starting an Egyptology degree in September. As it's a 'weird' subject, I usually get a lot of questions about it. Now I can answer them all in one place.

Here we go!

Favourite ancient Egyptian deity?
A BA!

Nice, what kind of things will you study about? And what are you most excited about to learn?

Here we go!

Hi,

Which part of Egyptology do you like the best?

What do you think about the supposed hidden chambers in Tutankhamun's tombs?

Also do you know any interesting documentaries? Egyptology documentaries are my favourite type.

Sorry for so many questions but the topic is just so interesting.
How much practical archaeology is there left to do in Egyptology? Is the subject mainly the academic study of relics that have already been uncovered or are there still many ongoing efforts to uncover new archaeological ifinds?
Thoth! Although I can never pronounce his name without it sounding really weird. Sigh.
Original post by Shazen
Nice, what kind of things will you study about? And what are you most excited about to learn?

I'm really excited to learn about the history of the New Kingdom (when Egypt reached its height as an international superpower), because I find that period fascinating. I'm also excited to learn about the evolution of the language, but also very nervous for that as well.
What do you think of the other civilisations around at the same time? (Hittites, Mittani, Assyria etc.)

Here we go!

Egyptology, eh? You must be quite the wannabe historian. No offence. But anyway, is there any specific period in Egyptian history you will be studying? Any leaders you need to learn about? Any periods in time, perhaps the amount of dynasties there were?

Anyways, good luck with that degree.
I'm really excited to learn about the history of the New Kingdom (when Egypt reached its height as an international superpower), because I find that period fascinating. I'm also excited to learn about the evolution of the language, but also very nervous for that as well.

Wow, that's actually an interesting part and I can see why your keen to learn that part and nervous for languages lol! :smile:
what do you think about people who believe that aliens helped build the pyramids?
Original post by niv1234
Hi,

Which part of Egyptology do you like the best?

What do you think about the supposed hidden chambers in Tutankhamun's tombs?

Also do you know any interesting documentaries? Egyptology documentaries are my favourite type.

Sorry for so many questions but the topic is just so interesting.

I love the Ramesside Period, particularly the reign of Ramesses II.

I think that there probably are chambers but they'll have a few artefacts or nothing in them. I highly doubt anything crazy will be in there. If it was me I'd be a typical early Egyptologist, say 'screw safety', and kick the wall down (just kidding).

You could watch 'Chasing Mummies' by Zahi Hawass. It's hilarious. He's like the Gordon Ramsay of Egyptology!
Original post by Plagioclase
How much practical archaeology is there left to do in Egyptology? Is the subject mainly the academic study of relics that have already been uncovered or are there still many ongoing efforts to uncover new archaeological ifinds?

Well, there are estimates that we've only discovered 10% of the relics in Egypt because of all of the sand, which wouldn't surprise me. I think at the moment it's mostly stuff we already have due to the political situation in Egypt, but there are still plenty of expeditions going on, even right now, although I think their finds might be staying in Egypt, although I'm not too sure about that.

Spoiler

Original post by TercioOfParma
What do you think of the other civilisations around at the same time? (Hittites, Mittani, Assyria etc.)

If I'm being completely honest, I don't know too much about them, except for reading the Poem of Pentaur in translation, which is basically a poem about the Battle of Kadesh, in which Ramesses II is victorious over the Hittites and he mocks them for having three men to man their chariots instead of two etc. But I'm keen to learn more about Assyria, especially. Apparently they had glittery beards . . .
Well, there are estimates that we've only discovered 10% of the relics in Egypt because of all of the sand, which wouldn't surprise me. I think at the moment it's mostly stuff we already have due to the political situation in Egypt, but there are still plenty of expeditions going on, even right now, although I think their finds might be staying in Egypt, although I'm not too sure about that.

Spoiler

Any particular idea why you said that Egyptology is gaining popularity in countries that weren't traditionally involved in it like the far east? There might not be a particular reason but I was wondering if there was.
If I'm being completely honest, I don't know too much about them, except for reading the Poem of Pentaur in translation, which is basically a poem about the Battle of Kadesh, in which Ramesses II is victorious over the Hittites and he mocks them for having three men to man their chariots instead of two etc. But I'm keen to learn more about Assyria, especially. Apparently they had glittery beards . . .

They also used to, in the aftermath of sacking cities, hang the skinned corpses of civilians from the walls.

The Armarna letters are an interesting read if you haven't already read them when it comes to that.
I love the Ramesside Period, particularly the reign of Ramesses II.

I think that there probably are chambers but they'll have a few artefacts or nothing in them. I highly doubt anything crazy will be in there. If it was me I'd be a typical early Egyptologist, say 'screw safety', and kick the wall down (just kidding).

You could watch 'Chasing Mummies' by Zahi Hawass. It's hilarious. He's like the Gordon Ramsay of Egyptology!

Thats interesting. I've heard of that probably from a random documentary. I've always wanted to understand hieroglyphics but I will probably never get around to learning it especially as the writing system is so complex.

Spoiler

Yes, but it would be interesting if they found Nefertiti but they probably won't. Apparently people used to burn mummies as fuel as long as you don't do that I'm sure you will be fine.

That sounds intriguing.
Original post by Adamski191
Egyptology, eh? You must be quite the wannabe historian. No offence. But anyway, is there any specific period in Egyptian history you will be studying? Any leaders you need to learn about? Any periods in time, perhaps the amount of dynasties there were?

Anyways, good luck with that degree.

I am! But also an aspiring linguist and (not as much) an archaeologist. I will be studying the entirety of its history, and all of its leaders. There are roughly 31 dynasties of Egypt, and I am most interested in the 18th - 20th dynasties.

Quick Reply

Latest