The Student Room Group

AQA Astrophysics Exam Discussion PHYA5 Physics Unit 5 Part B

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Finally someone made a Astrophysics thread :biggrin: !
Original post by arrow_h
Finally someone made a Astrophysics thread :biggrin: !

Only 12 hours before the exam haha
Reply 22
Man I am soooo unprepared, compared to my other exams this is the one I'm most scared of, is anyone else the same?
A guy just said on the other thread 'If you're doing astrophysics, you'll need to remember I=P/4pi*d^2' is this true? It isnt on the spec?
Original post by arrow_h
Man I am soooo unprepared, compared to my other exams this is the one I'm most scared of, is anyone else the same?

left everything for the last 2 days. Im very unprepaired but I think if the calculations are okay and I get lucky with the 6 markers and they are on things I know then I could still get a good grade
Original post by Ainsleyy
A guy just said on the other thread 'If you're doing astrophysics, you'll need to remember I=P/4pi*d^2' is this true? It isnt on the spec?

It's basically just the inverse square law for intensity, in other words Intensity of the object is inversely proportional to the distance from the object. Never had to use that particular equation but you do need to be aware of the inverse square relationship between intensity and distance
@exo97 ask in here :smile:
Reply 27
6 marker predictions anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by JPencil
6 marker predictions anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely star identification

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
6 marker I got
Class K, orange, red giant
A, white, white dwarf
B, blue-White, main sequence

Not sure tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
What did you get for distance to object from lens? I think I got 0.20
Distance between objective and eyepiece I got 0.90
Wasn't sure what the silicon chip questions were asking so I basically just repeated what I said tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cowie
What did you get for distance to object from lens? I think I got 0.20
Distance between objective and eyepiece I got 0.90
Wasn't sure what the silicon chip questions were asking so I basically just repeated what I said tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got the same values for lens and I know right?? 5 marks couldn't have been squeezed out of those questions
That was kinda nice. Very wordy though, not many calculations, in both part a and b
that was such a nice paper, what did everyone put for the star which was furthest away?
Reply 34
Original post by TajwarC
That was kinda nice. Very wordy though, not many calculations, in both part a and b

Due to this and the 6 marker requiring memorisation of classes and their temperatures etc I reckon the grade boundaries will be low (for this part at least)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by Mentalmirz
that was such a nice paper, what did everyone put for the star which was furthest away?

The hottest one can't remember it's name, because it had the largest surface area and so largest radius and largest temperature so the power output of it would be greatest meaning very negative absolute magnitude, difference between absolute and apparent magnitudes is greatest (as it had the highest apparent magnitude)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cowie
The hottest one can't remember it's name, because it had the largest surface area and so largest radius and largest temperature so the power output of it would be greatest meaning very negative absolute magnitude, difference between absolute and apparent magnitudes is greatest (as it had the highest apparent magnitude)

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah same :biggrin:
Original post by cowie
Due to this and the 6 marker requiring memorisation of classes and their temperatures etc I reckon the grade boundaries will be low (for this part at least)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeahh, the lack of calculations might cause problems but tbh the wordy questions weren't even that bad. It's just going to be difficult to get every point but I think most people would have at least written something.

Either way I'm pretty happy tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending