The Student Room Group

Don't feel happy with my body

I don't know why; I'm a healthy weight and people call me slim, but I can't seem to feel confident about my body. I've lost a bit of weight due to exams and being a little ill afterwards due to stress, but I'm scared that I'll gain it all back again.
To add to this, during the time when I was a little ill, I was actually happy that I wasn't able to eat because it made me slimmer. Don't get me wrong, I KNOW that this isn't a healthy mindset and I've never really thought like this before.
I know we all have different body types and that I should be confident in my own skin, but I'm really struggling and don't want this to become a bigger issue than I'm already making it..any advice? Thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)
1. Perhaps learn about body confidence if its a psychological self esteem issue?
http://www.berealcampaign.co.uk/help-and-resources/

2. Why not use the gym, lift some weights and improve your health? Weights will give you better shape/definition and can help with building muscle mass.

3. Knowing and having a balanced biew of weight loss and nutrition will help comnat the fear of putting unexpected weight on.

4. Not going into a potential eating disorder, although the BEAT website has excellent resoruces if you want to learn about them.
Original post by 999tigger
1. Perhaps learn about body confidence if its a psychological self esteem issue?
http://www.berealcampaign.co.uk/help-and-resources/

2. Why not use the gym, lift some weights and improve your health? Weights will give you better shape/definition and can help with building muscle mass.

3. Knowing and having a balanced biew of weight loss and nutrition will help comnat the fear of putting unexpected weight on.

4. Not going into a potential eating disorder, although the BEAT website has excellent resoruces if you want to learn about them.

thank you, I will have a look at the website. I do workouts away from the gym, but may consider getting a membership. Thank you again for your advice
It seems to me as though you could do with getting some professional help. They may be able to help with finding why you feel this way and giving you advice and resources to overcome these feelings.

I hope everything works out for you, I am sure you are beautiful :h:
Had an eating disorder myself . I wanted to speed up the process of gaining muscles/ refining them. I wanted to gain validation from my peers and the girls for my body; but doing so, I realized- it would never please me. It doesn't.
Honestly, it is going to be a long struggle, but it's better to try to tackle it on right now before anything serious. It's sounds easier than it actually is, but figure out all the things you like about yourself already. To you- Your body may not be first on the list, but your personality might. Recognize that not everyone has the same ideals of what makes someone beautiful. The man you marry later on will find you the most beautiful woman. Your family wouldn't care less what you look like.
If you feel pressured, I speak on behalf of some teenage boys- not all of us find Kim K or the Grande chic the "ideal".
There's more to a person than their body, and I wish you the best in overcoming this really sad problem that is overtaking the lives of so many girls.
Reply 5
Whats the problem? Do you want to get slim or not?
Original post by A-LJLB
It seems to me as though you could do with getting some professional help. They may be able to help with finding why you feel this way and giving you advice and resources to overcome these feelings.

I hope everything works out for you, I am sure you are beautiful :h:

Thank you, I'm making a doctors' appointment :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Had an eating disorder myself . I wanted to speed up the process of gaining muscles/ refining them. I wanted to gain validation from my peers and the girls for my body; but doing so, I realized- it would never please me. It doesn't.
Honestly, it is going to be a long struggle, but it's better to try to tackle it on right now before anything serious. It's sounds easier than it actually is, but figure out all the things you like about yourself already. To you- Your body may not be first on the list, but your personality might. Recognize that not everyone has the same ideals of what makes someone beautiful. The man you marry later on will find you the most beautiful woman. Your family wouldn't care less what you look like.
If you feel pressured, I speak on behalf of some teenage boys- not all of us find Kim K or the Grande chic the "ideal".
There's more to a person than their body, and I wish you the best in overcoming this really sad problem that is overtaking the lives of so many girls.

Thank you so much for your reply; it's made me feel a little better and think more clearly.
Thank you, again.

Quick Reply

Latest