The Student Room Group

Work experience with MP of opposing views to mine

Hello all,

I am keen to write to an MP requesting work experience in their office for a couple of days. The only issue is, they are of a political party I do not align with.

Will this effect my chances of getting work experience? Should I mention differing views in my letter as an advanced warning?

Many thanks
Well a girl at my college, who is very left wing, secured a work placement with the Conservative Party.
It won't affect your chances, because they are your representative regardless of party. I know of someone who had work experience with a Conservative MP, despite not aligning with that party.
I don't see why this should be too much of an issue, as you seem to be calm about your political disagreements and as long as it doesn't impact your work why should it matter?

Good luck with your application
Original post by Cgp97
Hello all,

I am keen to write to an MP requesting work experience in their office for a couple of days. The only issue is, they are of a political party I do not align with.

Will this effect my chances of getting work experience? Should I mention differing views in my letter as an advanced warning?

Many thanks

They will wnat to know why you wnat experience with them. Having views opposed to theirs doesnt have to be fatal, but how you present yourself is. If you do experience with them, then your views arent really relevant. If you feel they are then you misunderstand your role.
Reply 5
Original post by Cgp97
Hello all,

Many thanks

No.

If you were wanting to get experience within the party with opposing views, that would be a problem, however all you'll be doing is going through case work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending