The Student Room Group

People who supported Brexit - do you feel conned?

Scroll to see replies

I do not feel conned at all, I am extremely happy with the result and look forward to what the future will bring.

Original post by TrojanH
Of course they feel conned... they're stupid hard-right children reading murdoch scrap.

I think the Remain camp have shown the definition of stupid children these last few days.

Original post by scrotgrot
Maybe when you have people dependent on you to provide for you'll learn what real bravery is.

There is no such thing as 'real' bravery. You do not need to have a wife and children to be brave.

Original post by EuanF
What's the purpose of living a comfortable, easy life and achieving nothing?

What's the purpose of being born, finding a job, working that job and finally dying?

Better to struggle for something than live comfortably for nothing.

Dude you are awesome, keep fighting the good fight. :smile:

Original post by InnerTemple
So after literally days of research, you felt confident to dismiss the views of actual experts.

Experts also said Remain would win. Point is, experts can get it wrong.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Yes, which is basically product regulation, as in any FTA, and immigration. That's it, nothing else from what I can tell.

And freedom of services.

So basically everything but CAP and CFP.

Lol@Immigration.

IT is funny, how all of the Brexiters are talking about immigration now, as if it a small part of the issue.
Original post by DorianGrayism
And freedom of services.

So basically everything but CAP and CFP.

Lol@Immigration.

IT is funny, how all of the Brexiters are talking about immigration now, as if it a small part of the issue.

I never cared about immigration. Like literally, at no point. Did I care.

So, no control over domestic law then? Literally only allowing people to come to the country, use the NHS and work here, as well as regulation?

Parliament is ceremonial as I have already pointed out. They cannot propose the laws so they are toothless, it is literally a small legal hurdle. And it is less democratic for the reasons i pointed out, the MEPs cannot propose or rescind legislation, which is the bedrock of a parliamentary democracy.

Are you actually gonna read what I wrote or just go on "lalala ceremonial lalala can't propose laws lalala".

A body which:
1. Votes on all the laws,
2. Appoint and fire the executive who propose the laws,
3. Controls the budget
Is by definition not ceremonial.
Erm, yes he will. He will invoke article 50 and we will leave. From what I can tell, the single market only covers immigration. It doesn't seem to affect domestic law, which is the real issue. While it is regrettable that we don't have control over immigration, at least the EU parliament cannot veto our internal laws.

You're wrong. We'd likely be bound by EU laws on employment, social security, the environment... pretty much the situation we have now
Original post by swanderfeild
Are you actually gonna read what I wrote or just go on "lalala ceremonial lalala can't propose laws lalala".

A body which:
1. Votes on all the laws,
2. Appoint and fire the executive who propose the laws,
3. Controls the budget
Is by definition not ceremonial.

Yes, again, it cannot propose or rescind laws, which is a significant issue. You could say that MEPs have the power to shoot lightning out of their arse.
You're wrong. We'd likely be bound by EU laws on employment, social security, the environment... pretty much the situation we have now

Doesn't mean we will. As Dorian pointed out, all that we are bound by is services, movement and regulation.

Alright, its nearly 3am, I need to go to bed. Will respond later tomorrow.
Yes, again, it cannot propose or rescind laws, which is a significant issue. You could say that MEPs have the power to shoot lightning out of their arse.

They have power to fire entire commissions until one of them puts that bill for vote.
Or they have power to grind entire EU to halt until commission gives in and proposes the law.
I never cared about immigration. Like literally, at no point. Did I care.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4036781

I believe Post 11 is yours

" OP, some people are incapable of doing anything that isn't menial work. They see these jobs being taken from them by similar people coming en masse from other countries, they get angry. It's not that hard to understand.

My grievance with immigration is more cultural myself anyway"

So, no control over domestic law then? Literally only allowing people to come to the country, use the NHS and work here, as well as regulation?

No. I said that the situation remains the same. The EU will continue to make laws that affect our employment rights, immigration rights and etc.

I wasn't stupid enough to claim that we didn't have control in the first place.
Doesn't mean we will. As Dorian pointed out, all that we are bound by is services, movement and regulation.

Alright, its nearly 3am, I need to go to bed. Will respond later tomorrow.

Which is basically everything apart from CAP and CFP AKA Most EU regulation.
(edited 7 years ago)

Oh dear! It seems that June 23 was a magical evening after all. As the clock struck midnight and June 24 began, all the people who supported Brexit suddenly forgot why they had done so...
Reply 171
Even though you know it'll wreck the economy?

I don't know if I asked you - what were your reasons for leaving?

*Cause short term economic volatility

And I don't like the setup of the EU. Sure we have a veto but I don't want to be part of a political union that even aspires to have an EU army. Or which doesn't allow our government to even get rid of ridiculous things such as tampon tax. The EU is moving towards a superstate and that's not something I'm comfortable being part of.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Samiz
Or which doesn't allow our government to even get rid of ridiculous things such as tampon tax. .

Except the Tampon Tax was scrapped in March by the EU by working with other European countries.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/mar/18/tampon-tax-scrapped-announces-osborne

But I am sure you are that bothered that Osbourne didn't scrap it after.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 173
Original post by DorianGrayism
Except the Tampon Tax was scrapped in March by the EU by working with other European countries.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/mar/18/tampon-tax-scrapped-announces-osborne

But I am sure you are that bothered that Osbourne didn't scrap it after.

Ah, the great EU, working with other countries. I don't want to be part of a political union, that in the first place imposes measures such as tampon tax, and has to be convinced to get rid of it.
Well with the Tories in power I don't think it was ever going to live up to the expectations UKIP set, the other issue is ~75% of the House is Remainian so can't really do much anyways.
I havnt read any of the posts.

Firstly guess what? Most people who voted leave probably dont want an extra £10 billion spent on the NHS. The NHS isnt some black hole into which endless amounts of money should be poured.

Those campaign slogans were obviously aimed at the 10% of people who said they hadn't a clue who to vote for and came across to me at least as idiots.

As for immigration. It's simple.If immigration continues at very high rates for years to come then clearly millions of people will be voting for right wing politicians or parties UNTIL something IS done. If nothing can be done or is not done then quite frankly the remainers will have far more to whine about than they do now I would suggest because things may get considerably more ugly.

As for sovereignty. Most people who voted for leave hate nearly all politicians. If there is little actual difference it won't actually come as too big a surprise to a lot of people.Nor would it make that much difference anyway. But it still annoy arrogant ******** like Junker.

From everything I've seen since the vote I'm absolutely delighted with the outcome. And so,since I'm no right wing bigot,I think it would be fair to say others must be too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Samiz
Ah, the great EU, working with other countries. I don't want to be part of a political union, that in the first place imposes measures such as tampon tax, and has to be convinced to get rid of it.

So youre upset that they did something that the people didnt like... and promptly got rid of it?

Seems to me youre just looking for things to be upset about.
I have to say - considering that it's looking like we'll be pushing for access to the open market (and the open border policy & EU laws that come along with it), the only thing we will really lose is our vote on these matters. And tbh we'll probably end up with a worse deal seeing as we've lost (who I consider to be) the greatest PM in many years and the Opposition is crumbling. And it's clear now the Leave campaign had no plan all along. So as soon as it became clear we should have had a second referendum... smh
Original post by Samiz

Lol I'm pretty on the fence as it is but you complain when they get rid of things you don't like? National governments do u-turns on policy all the time.

So as the other poster asked, since the tax isn't forced by the EU anymore...why hasn't Osbourne scrapped it? Apparently to be charitable..

Chancellor George Osborne tried to soften the blow by saying all tax revenue gathered from the so-called "tampon tax" would be earmarked for women's charities, including domestic abuse refuges.

But then...why don't we just do that for multiple areas of taxation, it seems demeaning if anything tbh. Will have to see how funding for women's charities increases I guess.
No I don't feel conned, because I already didn't trust much of the official leave campaign, and some reasons/aims for me voting leave won't be achieved under a Conservative government (e.g. significant CAP reform or replacement with a much better system, as well as issues regarding democracy and accountability).

The main reason for me was the risk of further EU integration over the next few decades - we won't get another referendum for a generation, and we would be tied to the EU for a long time if we voted to remain. The EU is only going to go one way and that's towards further integration, and I don't want Britain to be a part of that in the long term.

You have to think long term with referendums like this, and that is exactly what I've tried to do. I don't care about short term economic shocks which pretty much everyone was expecting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending