Original post by hamza772000
Well, in that case, I guess we should just be happy! :biggrin:

P.S: I'm sorry if I come across as 'cringey' at times :redface:

Yes let's just be happy! :biggrin: and that's ok haha
I'm sorry if I came across as a 'grumpy cookie' at times :wink::redface:
Original post by cookie123456789
Yes let's just be happy! :biggrin: and that's ok haha
I'm sorry if I came across as a 'grumpy cookie' at times :wink::redface:
Nah, you haven't, I just thought you were one of them people that never smile, sorry! :frown:
Nah, you haven't, I just thought you were one of them people that never smile, sorry! :frown:

Ah ok. I am smiling reading you're reply now! I do smile.
It's ok haha
Ah ok. I am smiling reading you're reply now! I do smile.
It's ok haha
I'm smiling too :smile: Just keep smiling, I guess, there's no harm in it :biggrin:
I'm smiling too :smile: Just keep smiling, I guess, there's no harm in it :biggrin:

Yes indeed! Smile and the world will smile back! :biggrin: You've made me go all cheesy now... :redface:
Yes indeed! Smile and the world will smile back! :biggrin: You've made me go all cheesy now... :redface:
Nah, your cheesiness makes me smile :wink: (not in a creepy way :tongue:)
Nah, your cheesiness makes me smile :wink: (not in a creepy way :tongue:)

Ah ok... that's good :tongue:
Ah ok... that's good :tongue:
It is! :biggrin:

I didn't know what to say :tongue:
It is! :biggrin:

I didn't know what to say :tongue:

I feel like you are now a good friend of mine on TSR. We must message each other again some time but for now, goodbye my friend. :biggrin:
I feel like you are now a good friend of mine on TSR. We must message each other again some time but for now, goodbye my friend. :biggrin:
Alright then, good friend, we should definitely message each other again soon, just message me if you're in the mood to talk. :smile:
Goodbye :biggrin:
Original post by mediaya
i am going to be doing my a-levels after the summer holiday but i am not sure if i should go to a grammar school or just a normal sixth form college. i have applied in both and got an offer in both of them.

What do you recommend? Anyone went to grammar school?How was it?

Sorry if this is late:colondollar: I would definitely recommend the grammar school because they put more effort and care of improving an individual students grade so you will do better.:smile: Normal sixth form colleges just focus on a class and you won't be guided as much as at the grammar school. I am in the same position as you and I chose the grammar school.:smile:
I go to a private school and I'm in year 11 too. But both schools I applied to sixth form are grammar schools and I still haven't decided whether I want to move.

I would say look at the school itself and not what type of school it is as some grammar schools are a lot better than others so do some research on the school itself.

Good luck with everything:biggrin:
Original post by mediaya
i am going to be doing my a-levels after the summer holiday but i am not sure if i should go to a grammar school or just a normal sixth form college. i have applied in both and got an offer in both of them.

What do you recommend? Anyone went to grammar school?How was it?

Went to grammar school y7-11, hated every minute of it, went to college to study a levels and loved every second of it.

In my experience though, it's not what other people have done/thought it's what you want and need.

Grammar schools are tough and strict, which I hated. I constantly just felt like a grade to them, they only care about you if you're receiving the highest grades. As someone who struggled at GCSE, this was a problem. I felt like a failure there because of the system they'd built. However, all my friends loved it. Some people like stricter guidelines and feel like in order to do their best they need that level of sternness.

I went to a college sixth form and I loved it because we could wear what we wanted, you only had to come in for your classes. And while I struggled at GCSE, my grades were no better in a levels - but I was more confident in myself. I needed to go to college to improve my self esteem.

Think about in two years the type of person you'd like to become. What traits you'd like to improve on. And then think about which (grammar/sixth form) will help you achieve that goal of your ideal self. That's my advice for you. Don't go based off what other people want for you, base your decision on what you need for yourself.
Go to a grammar school if you can.
Original post by fefssdf
I think you should consider the fact that the grammar is going to be more strict

my school for example didn't make people stay when they had frees but i know some grammars won't let you just go home so bare that in mind.
also when it came to exam season i took quite a few days off to revise and nothing happened but i can imagine at a grammar you would get into serious trouble
my school was also better just in general at actually helping you and i feel like you can ask for help without people judging you, yet at a grammar i would expect you'd feel a bit silly if you had to get the teacher to explain something if all these clever kids are getting everything right all the time
honestly if you haven't been to a grammar since year 7 then i think adjusting to it would be pretty hard and given this is A-levels you don't want to be stressed even more ...

why is it you want to go to the grammar anyways - is there a certain subject they offer which the college doesn't ? because if you're picking it because its just better in terms of rep then its probably not right for you :smile:

thank you very much :smile:
do you go to sixth form or grammar school? from what you said i think you go to sixth form but not sure:s-smilie:
i want to go to the grammar one because.......yep you guessed it has better grades and stuff but i never wanted to go, my dad told me to apply 3 month after the deadline and so i did, i thought i'd never get accepted though but wow i did and i had a sad face for the entire week before my interview:frown:......but it went well :biggrin:
you made me finalise my decision, i don't want to go to the grammar
Original post by Runescapian
Went to grammar school y7-11, hated every minute of it, went to college to study a levels and loved every second of it.

In my experience though, it's not what other people have done/thought it's what you want and need.

Grammar schools are tough and strict, which I hated. I constantly just felt like a grade to them, they only care about you if you're receiving the highest grades. As someone who struggled at GCSE, this was a problem. I felt like a failure there because of the system they'd built. However, all my friends loved it. Some people like stricter guidelines and feel like in order to do their best they need that level of sternness.

I went to a college sixth form and I loved it because we could wear what we wanted, you only had to come in for your classes. And while I struggled at GCSE, my grades were no better in a levels - but I was more confident in myself. I needed to go to college to improve my self esteem.

Think about in two years the type of person you'd like to become. What traits you'd like to improve on. And then think about which (grammar/sixth form) will help you achieve that goal of your ideal self. That's my advice for you. Don't go based off what other people want for you, base your decision on what you need for yourself.

aww thanks, really helpful :smile:
i am going to the sixth form college, i want to become a more independent person and get used to university atmosphere (the university half attached to the sixth and that's where we do the lab work:smile:)

i do want to get high grades but i can also work on my own (which is what you would be expected at uni)
Original post by mediaya
aww thanks, really helpful :smile:
i am going to the sixth form college, i want to become a more independent person and get used to university atmosphere (the university half attached to the sixth and that's where we do the lab work:smile:)

i do want to get high grades but i can also work on my own (which is what you would be expected at uni)
You're lucky to be in a position where you are able to do so, I'm like locked down coz all the other surrounding colleges and sixth forms a sh*t, first I was getting happy that I have the chance to attend this school, but after reading some responses here, man I'm frickin' scared now, I can acc imagine the teachers being like zombies and monsters, noooooooo :frown: :tongue:
You're lucky to be in a position where you are able to do so, I'm like locked down coz all the other surrounding colleges and sixth forms a sh*t, first I was getting happy that I have the chance to attend this school, but after reading some responses here, man I'm frickin' scared now, I can acc imagine the teachers being like zombies and monsters, noooooooo :frown: :tongue:

Thanks, i know am lucky:king1: , i always was since i was born orelse i wouln't be born....... Jk:tongue:

I guess when you say "first" that means before i made this thread:K: ...... If so than i am sorry to make you scared:ashamed2: ....... But please:adore: don't think that all that people have said is true:no:because people think DIFFERENTLY, there are those who really enjoyed going to grammar school (they are probably like you) and for others it didnt suit so they went to college coz theu needed a more relaxed environment.

TBH, i dont think it makes much difference to which TYPE of school you go to (as long as it's good:gthumb:) as long as you are hard working, like ur subjects and are determined (which i am sure you are) :clap2::woo:

I am just kind of overeacting with this matter but i swear i only just discovered it now :teehee:
(as i was writting it) that it doesn't make much difference whether you go to grammar or not. In ur case i'd say go to the grammar sixth form (coz apparently from you, the other are ****:tongue:) ans i dont want my bro to be like :damnmate::lurk:, :no: (Jk:tongue:)

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
I went from a school in special measures to an all boys grammar school from the transition to GCSE->A-Level.

I can quite honestly say I've enjoyed it. There are grades I never thought I would be able to achieve. The school I go to embraces external students and doesn't discriminate against them. Whilst they like you to read ahead and be able to achieve full marks in every assessment, the staff actually care and will spend their time to help you move from that awful E to that amazing A.

The people are somewhat stuck up but most of them are really polite and friendly when you get to know them. Some people think that they're "smart" just because they were in a grammar school in Y7-11 but you need to remember that you had to work harder to get in there!

I think you should give it a go, it really brings out your true colours and you can see yourself in many different ways. I do not regret going to a grammar school.
Original post by mediaya
thank you very much :smile:
do you go to sixth form or grammar school? from what you said i think you go to sixth form but not sure:s-smilie:
i want to go to the grammar one because.......yep you guessed it has better grades and stuff but i never wanted to go, my dad told me to apply 3 month after the deadline and so i did, i thought i'd never get accepted though but wow i did and i had a sad face for the entire week before my interview:frown:......but it went well :biggrin:
you made me finalise my decision, i don't want to go to the grammar

Hey, I have just finished sixth form at my school which is a comprehensive which I've been at since year 7.

During year 11 I kept thinking how I have to go to the grammar school as I was one of the smarter people in my year group and felt I would fit in better there but I went to the induction days and it was just absolutely awful ( I cried when I got back cause it was just that bad ). The class sizes were really small like 10 students and it just felt really intense the whole time and like I couldn't even relax and as someone who likes to have a laugh and chat to people during lessons it was just a bit of a culture shock. Also that school were just really strict about everything and were saying things like ' if youre in the common room and you're not doing work then a member of staff will come and make sure you are doing work ' and saying things like ' even if you got all A*'s at gcse then you've got to keep up that standard ' and as someone who had pretty average GCSEs I felt pretty out of place, and so choosing to stay at my school was probably the best decision I've made recently cause I was worried about friendship groups a bit cause I've always thought I'm a a bit of the odd one out but it's weird because I'm sixth form everyone makes new friends because new people come and I managed to make friends with someone who I used to be close with back in year 9 so it worked out for me, and in terms of grades yes a lot of people did get E's at As but it's because they didn't put any effort in whatsoever but plenty of people did and they got the grades they wanted (AAA) ect and people have even had interviews for Cambridge and are off to Russel group unis, yet the grammar hasn't sent anyone to Oxbridge as far as I know so it just shows your own personal commitment will get you the grades and not being around smart people !

Looking back the only reason I applied was cause I just wanted to go to a grammar school as like a recognition that I was clever but that's just so stupid cause at the end of the day many people going to these types of schools don't get into uni ect or get all these A* grades so really it doesn't matter where you go; the most important thing is that you feel comfortable !!! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply