The Student Room Group

I played the (stock) markets today, and only lost £7.50, not too shabby?

I was actually down £10 right away because of a bad deal i made, so then i tried to get some of this back.

I was actually down around £13/14 at one point, but made some good money on a buy of the pound against the dollar, and sold when the pound was strong, then again with gold, meaning that i only lost £7.50 altogether. I think that this is quite good going huh? For someone who has never traded before i mean??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So, do you want validation from someone else or something?

Edit: That sounded less b!tchy in my head! :rofl:
Reply 2
Still a loss
Reply 3
Original post by john2054

I was actually down £10 right away because of a bad deal i made, so then i tried to get some of this back.

I was actually down around £13/14 at one point, but made some good money on a buy of the pound against the dollar, and sold when the pound was strong, then again with gold, meaning that i only lost £7.50 altogether. I think that this is quite good going huh? For someone who has never traded before i mean??

Well, it depends on how much capital you started off with.
If you started off with like £100 or £50 (or less) then that loss is actually terrible :lol:
If your trading capital is say £1000 or £5000 then that loss is not a problem.

You should only ever aim to lose between 1-2% of your trading capital per trade if you do make a loss. Any more than that, then a string of losses could wipe your account of a significant amount of capital. Not to mention it takes longer just to get back to break even.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by nucdev
Well, it depends on how much capital you started off with.
If you started off with like £100 or £50 (or less) then that loss is actually terrible :lol:
If your trading capital is say £1000 or £5000 then that loss is not a problem.

You should only ever aim to lose between 1-2% of your trading capital per trade if you do make a loss. Any more than that, then a string of losses could wipe your account of a significant amount of capital. Not to mention it takes longer just to get back to break even.

Yes nucdev i can appreciate that, but the point is that i lost £10+ right away because i made a couple of mistakes/trades, in which i didn't fully appreciate what i was doing, and so that was why i was happy to get it back to what i ended up at.

I have only put £100 on the account to begin with, and don't necessarily plan on doing it every day, but now that i am getting the hang of it, i still think that it is pretty good. Hell i lose more than £7.50 when i play the slot machines! lol
Reply 5
Original post by spv
So, do you want validation from someone else or something?

Edit: That sounded less b!tchy in my head! :rofl:

Validation, yes please...

Original post by IYGB
Still a loss

True, but i lose more when i go in to the slot machine venue to be honest with you!
Go long term, get all your savings and put them into a company that is going to perform well over the next few years, anything less is just a bad as going ladbrookes and putting money on a horse.
Your loss isn't much at all and if you're doing it to make some money then I'm afraid to tell you, that's not going to happen with £100 either. If you're trading just to learn at the moment then that's fine but I'd advise against just 'playing' as if it's a game because it can/most likely will go wrong if you're trading with no knowledge of the stocks.
Reply 8
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
Your loss isn't much at all and if you're doing it to make some money then I'm afraid to tell you, that's not going to happen with £100 either. If you're trading just to learn at the moment then that's fine but I'd advise against just 'playing' as if it's a game because it can/most likely will go wrong if you're trading with no knowledge of the stocks.

The primary reason why i using this system, is to improve my insight in to the market. Making some money would be nice, but if i can simply teach myself how to make a positive turnover on most days i trade, that is my goal.
Original post by Jonsmith98
Go long term, get all your savings and put them into a company that is going to perform well over the next few years, anything less is just a bad as going ladbrookes and putting money on a horse.

On a serious note, i do actually have a portfolio, which i would consider taking out of the asset management, and in to my own hands, if i was confident that i could make a profit. But seeing as today is the first day i did it, now is too early to predict that far ahead sadly.
Reply 9
Yes nucdev i can appreciate that, but the point is that i lost £10+ right away because i made a couple of mistakes/trades, in which i didn't fully appreciate what i was doing, and so that was why i was happy to get it back to what i ended up at.

I have only put £100 on the account to begin with, and don't necessarily plan on doing it every day, but now that i am getting the hang of it, i still think that it is pretty good. Hell i lose more than £7.50 when i play the slot machines! lol

OK fair enough lol.
You should just open a demo account to learn the ropes, test strategies etc. before moving on to real money. Most big brokers offer them.
I lost £12,000 when I thought UK would remain... Ouch.... ImageUploadedByStudent Room1467076005.259732.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The1AndOnly1
I lost £12,000 when I thought UK would remain... Ouch.... ImageUploadedByStudent Room1467076005.259732.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hence why I'm not investing anymore of my money for a couple of weeks, just to wait for the uncertainty to stop. Markets hate uncertainty #themoreyouknow

Posted from TSR Mobile
The primary reason why i using this system, is to improve my insight in to the market. Making some money would be nice, but if i can simply teach myself how to make a positive turnover on most days i trade, that is my goal.

On a serious note, i do actually have a portfolio, which i would consider taking out of the asset management, and in to my own hands, if i was confident that i could make a profit. But seeing as today is the first day i did it, now is too early to predict that far ahead sadly.

Oh fair enough - not a bad way to learn but you know you can take the risk out of losing any money whatsoever by trading with virtual money? You play with live stock rates and everything but the money is fake. I'd say that's better in my opinion since you're just looking to learn.

Just thought I'd add, at this stage having the aim to buy and then sella share on the same day is a bad idea and is far too risky. Do some reading up on it and you'll know why
Reply 13
Hence why I'm not investing anymore of my money for a couple of weeks, just to wait for the uncertainty to stop. Markets hate uncertainty #themoreyouknow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but from the other gains on screen, you still were only down a few thousand overall? What is your capital/ equity base by the way? And how do you make decisions on what is a good buy/sell, other than following the trends in the graphs??
Reply 14
Original post by nucdev
OK fair enough lol.
You should just open a demo account to learn the ropes, test strategies etc. before moving on to real money. Most big brokers offer them.

Original post by UnknownRoyalist
Oh fair enough - not a bad way to learn but you know you can take the risk out of losing any money whatsoever by trading with virtual money? You play with live stock rates and everything but the money is fake. I'd say that's better in my opinion since you're just looking to learn.

Just thought I'd add, at this stage having the aim to buy and then sella share on the same day is a bad idea and is far too risky. Do some reading up on it and you'll know why

Yes I did have a demo account, before i tried again. But this new system is good, because it offers me live market feeds, as well as social media, and a simple buy/sell setup as well as good customer service contact. I think it is a good set up at http://live.trading212.com

plus they don't charge fees i don't think, they are built in to the prices i think?!
How do you start trading? I'm new to this but would love to learn the basics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hgc
(edited 7 years ago)
I made my money by trading forex, stocks and commodities hurt my capital really badly hence why I only trade forex now.

It's the best way to make your money, this is because unlike companies, Which are affected by factors like CEO resigning etc, majors and minors base their price solely on how many people are buying that major/minor and at what volume. A lot of people buy it, goes up. A lot of people sell it, goes down, thus allowing the more experienced to make a fair deal of money on major/minor prices as shown in that previous picture of my trades. Unless there are issues like Brexit which cause huge uncertainty leading to my unfortunate loss, but remember if Britain remained, I would have made upwards of £18,000.

However if you still want to trade stocks, maybe if you are looking to become an investment banker and want to increase job prospects, either do a "Buffet" where you learn where the company wants to be in five years, if common sense tells you it's likely to get there, and then buy the most likely, undervalued stock. However this involves extensive research into a company and needs long term investments. If your lazy, then just follow the moves Buffet makes... By reading this news. But be prepared to stay solid on the stock, even when it can fall rapidly, if it does BUY MORE!

Or have a look at the Fibonacci method, play this right and you definitely won't regret it.

BTW, been trading since I was 14 so I'd like to think I have some decent experience...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Rhyss01
How do you start trading? I'm new to this but would love to learn the basics

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is a good place to start...

But remember you can always lose what you put in, or maybe more if you don't know what you are doing.

So be careful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POnaNb5goTI[video="youtube;POnaNb5goTI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POnaNb5goTI[/video]
Reply 19
I made my money by trading forex, stocks and commodities hurt my capital really badly hence why I only trade forex now.

It's the best way to make your money, this is because unlike companies, Which are affected by factors like CEO resigning etc, majors and minors base their price solely on how many people are buying that major/minor and at what volume. A lot of people buy it, goes up. A lot of people sell it, goes down, thus allowing the more experienced to make a fair deal of money on major/minor prices as shown in that previous picture of my trades. Unless there are issues like Brexit which cause huge uncertainty leading to my unfortunate loss, but remember if Britain remained, I would have made upwards of £18,000.

However if you still want to trade stocks, maybe if you are looking to become an investment banker and want to increase job prospects, either do a "Buffet" where you learn where the company wants to be in five years, if common sense tells you it's likely to get there, and then buy the most likely, undervalued stock. However this involves extensive research into a company and needs long term investments. If your lazy, then just follow the moves Buffet makes... By reading this news. But be prepared to stay solid on the stock, even when it can fall rapidly, if it does BUY MORE!

Or have a look at the Fibonacci method, play this right and you definitely won't regret it.

BTW, been trading since I was 14 so I'd like to think I have some decent experience...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think i'd be inclined to watch the history, and the candlesticks (daily highs/lows open and close) prices, in determining whether to trade. Also do you have to declare your forex profits on your self assessed tax returns each year??

Quick Reply

Latest