The Student Room Group

Quoted 10k for insurance

So not passed my driving test yet but doing quotes to get an Idea. I wish to get a car within 2 months of passing. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I've tried different sites and different cars (Astra, fiesta etc all small engine scars no more than £1800 in cost) and I've even tried adding a second driver who has no claims etc. Surely there's something wrong here? Average for new young drivers is around 1500-2000 right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Insurance is based on your age, postcode but also the cost of repairing the car. So any car with the likes of electric windows or air conditioning will be much more expensive. The simpler the better. Also, the price of the car bears little relevance. Most insurance policies insure cars up to £30k regardless. Personally, I would sack off the idea of owning a car for a few years. If it costs £2k to insure + tax + petrol, that is a lot of train rides / taxis before you start saving money.

Have fun!
Reply 2
Original post by ItsTimeForTea
So not passed my driving test yet but doing quotes to get an Idea. I wish to get a car within 2 months of passing. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I've tried different sites and different cars (Astra, fiesta etc all small engine scars no more than £1800 in cost) and I've even tried adding a second driver who has no claims etc. Surely there's something wrong here? Average for new young drivers is around 1500-2000 right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you tried price comparison websites? I did a "test quote" to see what I'll be paying for when I do pass. I managed to get one for as little as £700 paying upfront and £1000 paying monthly. It really depends if you want to pay an excess and what coverage you want third party / fully comp etc. Try a couple more variations changing something ever so slightly can really change the final quote! Elephant gave me my cheapest quite so maybe give them a try :smile:
Original post by Cherrrose
Have you tried price comparison websites? I did a "test quote" to see what I'll be paying for when I do pass. I managed to get one for as little as £700 paying upfront and £1000 paying monthly. It really depends if you want to pay an excess and what coverage you want third party / fully comp etc. Try a couple more variations changing something ever so slightly can really change the final quote! Elephant gave me my cheapest quite so maybe give them a try :smile:

I agree.
Original post by ItsTimeForTea

Posted from TSR Mobile

i was quoted £23,000 on my first car so i sold it and just waited a few years

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending