The Student Room Group
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester

Mature students and students with children

Hey everyone!
Would be lovely to hear from some other 'mature' students and students who have children! What a pain it is sort out your darling little ones prior to starting and also the thoughts of illness and bringing or not bringing them to uni!
Also at only 25 I hope I get a few nights out, but possibly with some 18 year olds I may feel slightly retired... As much as I like to think I could keep up haha.
I already live in the Winchester area, are you traveling or moving?
Also always here for any info about the area. Especially nurseries and schools etc!
Hayley X

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there. I am starting September and at 33 I am as good as a grandmother.
My boy is at school and I am most flustered at not being able to prepare child care for the days I can't pick up and drop.
I live just outside of Winchester and won't be moving closer. But it's only about a 30 minute drive.
Are you going the mature student day before the semester starts?
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester
Reply 2
Hey there!

I'm not a mature student, but I thought I'd comment anyway.

First off, it's been less than 5 days since results day and all of us have planned about 25 different events and parties! I'm sure you'll find a good few events you fancy going to, and I don't think anyone (minus the few tools) who'll object to you joining!

Bringing kids to university.. sure, don't let them come during freshers, but I'm sure they'd love to see the university. It might be nice for them to look forward to a two weekly visit for example, when they get to see where mummy goes. :smile:
Hi, I am also a mature student and also slightly stressing about not having a timetable and trying to sort childcare for 2 kids at school and studying eek - amongst everything else.

What are you studying? I am doing Primary Teaching.
Original post by Charleyd
Hi there. I am starting September and at 33 I am as good as a grandmother.
My boy is at school and I am most flustered at not being able to prepare child care for the days I can't pick up and drop.
I live just outside of Winchester and won't be moving closer. But it's only about a 30 minute drive.
Are you going the mature student day before the semester starts?
Reply 4
Hey Kat. I am doing law. Hayley the OP is doing some sort of education training thingy. I found her at the return to study day this week. 😂

How old are your two and where are you living?
Hi Charley,

How was the return to education thing. Were there many mature students there?

I have a 4 and 7 year old and live in Petersfield, so about half an hour away. It's hard trying to sort out childcare without a timetable at the moment. My youngest is just starting reception and is part time until the beginning of October! What about you?

Hey Kat. I am doing law. Hayley the OP is doing some sort of education training thingy. I found her at the return to study day this week. 😂

How old are your two and where are you living?
Reply 6
It was okay actually. Hayley and I spoke with the mature student SU rep and he is due to get back to us so that we can discuss how to make it easier when you have a gaggle of kids. 😂

It is hard. Especially as both Hayley and I have not had our child care grants through and we have had to pay for next week etc.

So my boy is a similar age to your oldest. Just gone into year 2. 7 in December. I am up the road in Alton so not that far from you. Love a visit to the McDonald's in petersfield 😂

Are you in on Monday?
That's interesting to know, I had no idea that there was an SU rep for mature students. Wish I had found a way to get to the session now.

I know what you mean about paying for childcare. I haven't had to pay for it before and it is going to cost a fortune.

Ha ha, I live just over the road from the McDonalds.

Are you enrolling on Monday?
Reply 8
Hurrah for the Big Mac.

No I am a Wednesday enrolment as a different faculty. But I am in for some talk for my course.
I am enrolling at 12pm on Monday and then have to be in every morning for the rest of the week.

Hurrah for the Big Mac.

No I am a Wednesday enrolment as a different faculty. But I am in for some talk for my course.
Hi guys, lovely to meet you all. Im gemma, im 33 and i live in petersfield with my husband and two children. Alana is 9 and thomas is 6. Im actually transferring to winchester from chichester so im actually going directly into year 3 event management.

I'd like to think I have a few nights out left in me. I'm not a granny just yet although I feel about 20 years older than the girls where I work. I'm OK with childcare as my husband works from home so thankfully that's covered this year.

How are you guys feeling about the semester ahead?

Gemma x
Hi Gemma, I also live in Petersfield. I am 37 with a 7 and 4 year old!

I will be feeling a lot happier once I get my timetable!

Why are you transferring universities? Have you enrolled yet?

Kat x

A
Original post by Gemmacantan33
Hi guys, lovely to meet you all. Im gemma, im 33 and i live in petersfield with my husband and two children. Alana is 9 and thomas is 6. Im actually transferring to winchester from chichester so im actually going directly into year 3 event management.

I'd like to think I have a few nights out left in me. I'm not a granny just yet although I feel about 20 years older than the girls where I work. I'm OK with childcare as my husband works from home so thankfully that's covered this year.

How are you guys feeling about the semester ahead?

Gemma x
Ohh Kat. Look you have someone near you.

Gemma. What has prompted you to want to move? Is it the location?

I think my only criticism so far is a very real lack of communication. If they sorted that out it would be marvellous 😂
But that said, I do think it's dependent on what department you are with.
I am really looking forward to it all.
Original post by Kat Butler

Kat x

Hi kat,

I enrolled yesterday and like you i will be happier once i get my time table tomorrow.

Its a long story with the chichester thing, im basically retaking my 3rd year after i had an extremely tough year and felt it was better for me to move universities rather than travel to bognor regis everyday and winchester was my original top choice so im actually really excited about this year.

Gemma x
Ohh Kat. Look you have someone near you.

Gemma. What has prompted you to want to move? Is it the location?

I think my only criticism so far is a very real lack of communication. If they sorted that out it would be marvellous 😂
But that said, I do think it's dependent on what department you are with.
I am really looking forward to it all.

Hi charley,

I found it a little confusing yesterday with enrolling. There seemed to be lots of people around but that didnt seem to help me. After chichester communication at winchester is actually amazing. One reason is due to location and the other is because of a crap year all things considered thought it was best to repeat.

Gemma x
I thought that too. No one approaches you either. I am convinced that they all think we are lecturers.

There was a mature students drop in session yesterday. Did you make it?
Unfortunately apart from enrolment i havent been able to make any of the induction things. There is one today but im not sure if i can make it now.

I wanted to go yesterday but never made it.

Gemma x
I thought that too. No one approaches you either. I am convinced that they all think we are lecturers.

There was a mature students drop in session yesterday. Did you make it?
Did you go to the mature student thing yesterday Charley? I saw Hayley there but I had to go about 1.30.

I got asked yesterday if I was a lecturer - nothing like that to make you feel old!
Unfortunately apart from enrolment i havent been able to make any of the induction things. There is one today but im not sure if i can make it now.

I wanted to go yesterday but never made it.

Gemma x
It is a long way to Bognor, that is part of the reason I picked Winchester.

We should compare timetables (when we get them), maybe we will be able to car share sometimes.
[QUOTE="Gemmacantan33;67699194"]
Original post by Kat Butler

Kat x

Hi kat,

I enrolled yesterday and like you i will be happier once i get my time table tomorrow.

Its a long story with the chichester thing, im basically retaking my 3rd year after i had an extremely tough year and felt it was better for me to move universities rather than travel to bognor regis everyday and winchester was my original top choice so im actually really excited about this year.

Gemma x
[QUOTE="Butler;67700182" Kat="Kat"]It is a long way to Bognor, that is part of the reason I picked Winchester.

We should compare timetables (when we get them), maybe we will be able to car share sometimes.

Good morning,

When do you all find out your timetables? I find out today! Slighly nervous about meeting my fello class mates today.

Thankfully i look 25 so i doubt id ever get asked if im a lecturer but awkward! But a previously lecturer told me that we have maturity and life experience on our side and to not be afraid to use it!

And kat, car sharing would be fab if our timetables are a good match!

Hope you are ready for next week

Gemma x
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending