The Student Room Group

Why England are rubbish at football tournaments

Hi,

So here is my opinion and reasoning as to why England are so **** and rubbish at football tournaments and why I have given up hope on them.

1) They have no passion and just don't try hard enough - really they don't! The English defence is weak as an open border and frankly the center back just don't have the guts to go for dirty tackles.

2) They are not man enough or just don't have that drive to run with the ball and attack. They make everything so so obvious and what drives me barking mad is that they pass the ball back - like always! Why! Then they rely on right backs and left backs to cross the ball into the box and oh - they is no one in the ****ing box.

3) England are not very creative or smart. If you look at teams like Italy and Germany - they are successful because their attack and strike force are very powerful and unpredictable - something that England don't have. England make everything too obvious and do not have a combination of long shots and close range shots.

4) They think they are one of the best and boast so much and yet when it comes to matches it is the exact opposite! The keeper, Joe Hart is a prime example. Before the game he gets over excited and then he lets in simple goals. Frankly he should not be selected for future tournaments

5) England pick the wrong players! Really, they do! What about players like Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlein, Gibbs, Carroll? Instead they put players like Sterling - who is a complete joke.

In my opinion, England will not change and will not win future tournaments. They simply do not try enough and are not very unique or creative.

What do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

I think it's a bit unfair to say they don't have passion, some of the players have a lot of passion, some maybe not so much but it's not like any of them go into the game wanting to lose. I think the problems is they lack creativity and don't know how to play together, something which arguably is the managers job to sort out. Nobody wants to try anything because nobody wants to be blamed if it goes wrong so you just end up with loads of players constantly passing the ball. I'll admit Jo Hart gets a bit over excited and those goals last night were atrocious but he's still the best keeper we've got by a mile (also points for the best singing of the national anthem). The player selection maybe wasn't the best but its not like there's a lot to choose from plus people keep getting injured and last season wasn't exactly a typical one in terms of the league so there's the dilemma of do you go with who's the better player or who's got better form. England will have their time again soon but maybe not until a fresh batch of players has come through the ranks, cos the youngsters did do best in the tournament in general.
Original post by samklipas0

5) England pick the wrong players! Really, they do! What about players like Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlein, Gibbs, Carroll? Instead they put players like Sterling - who is a complete joke.

You completely invalidated your entire post with this. GG.
We have the *****est fans too
I think it goes deeper than that.
When was the last time the FA hired a manager that got a team playing as a team?
When was the last time a player was called up to England not based on his club's position in the table, or based on individual form, but because he suits the manager's style of play and the manager knows how to get the best out of him? (x11)
When will England fans ever stop being arrogant about their team to the point that they're more interested in street fights than actually supporting their team?
Reply 5
The tone of your post is half of the problem, talking about being good at tournaments as though we have a divine right to be.

It's simply that; expectation. England fans, media and pundits expect us to win. There's no if. There's no question. It's stupid.
Original post by Drewski
The tone of your post is half of the problem, talking about being good at tournaments as though we have a divine right to be.

It's simply that; expectation. England fans, media and pundits expect us to win. There's no if. There's no question. It's stupid.

This.

Everyone thinks we have some divine right to be as good as Germany, Italy, France etc the fact is even Poland, Portugal and Croatia are miles ahead of us right now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
A lack of forethought, planning, preparation and foresight. Not knowing your best team, not having a manager capable of working said team into a system, a manager not being tactically astute, and a sense of entitlement which saw said manager take a day trip to Paris rather than scout Iceland.
I looked up the results of world cup and euro tournaments going back to 1986.

It made for interesting context to assess England's achievement in Euro 2016.

By qualifying and reaching the knock-out stage this England team did better than 6 of their predecessors in the previous 15 tournaments. By going out after the first match of the knock-out stage this team did no worse than 10 of their predecessors- in other words, two thirds of the england teams in the previous 15 tournaments didn't qualify or progress beyond the first match of the knock-out stage.

Sadly, we have to go back 10 years for an England team to have made better progress, and then by just one match, in such a tournament.

On what basis, then, can the current players or previous manager be expected to have done better?
While the blame for losing to Iceland should fall on Hodgson and his players for their abject performance, England's failures go way beyond the current squad, who are the best of an average lot. The problem is we simply do not create enough talented footballers.

If you go to Spain and escape the typical tourist traps, you'll find narrow streets full of kids with the physiques of whippets playing one touch football with anything they can kick. So it's no surprise Spain has generated so many technically gifted footballers.

Yet things are very different in the UK. A lot of children are dumped in front of a playstation and fed a diet of crap food. The little hippos are more likely to develop diabetes than play Sunday league football. Those that are left are taught badly. In the words of Chris Waddle "we coach creativity out of our kids". We are taught to stand like statues, trap the ball, then pass, then run to a different position. It works in the championship downwards, but simply does not cut it in the Premier League. The few English players who make it to that level of out number by foreign imports, particularly in the better teams. This leaves the England manager with a very small pool of viable players to pick from, which is a sharp contrast with the better European teams where competition for places is much higher.

Man City have ploughed a lot of money into developing their youth training since their Arab take over. Despite have a populous catchment area that has proved a fertile breeding ground for footballers over the years, only 11 of the club's 33 strong development squad are English. It is quite telling.

So until we do something about our lazy fat kids and improve how we coach them, we won't see any change to England's footballing performance.
Hi,

So here is my opinion and reasoning as to why England are so **** and rubbish at football tournaments and why I have given up hope on them.

1) They have no passion and just don't try hard enough - really they don't! The English defence is weak as an open border and frankly the center back just don't have the guts to go for dirty tackles.

2) They are not man enough or just don't have that drive to run with the ball and attack. They make everything so so obvious and what drives me barking mad is that they pass the ball back - like always! Why! Then they rely on right backs and left backs to cross the ball into the box and oh - they is no one in the ****ing box.

3) England are not very creative or smart. If you look at teams like Italy and Germany - they are successful because their attack and strike force are very powerful and unpredictable - something that England don't have. England make everything too obvious and do not have a combination of long shots and close range shots.

4) They think they are one of the best and boast so much and yet when it comes to matches it is the exact opposite! The keeper, Joe Hart is a prime example. Before the game he gets over excited and then he lets in simple goals. Frankly he should not be selected for future tournaments

In my opinion, England will not change and will not win future tournaments. They simply do not try enough and are not very unique or creative.

What do you guys think?

I've always said on here and off what this man quan just said:

Original post by Quantex
While the blame for losing to Iceland should fall on Hodgson and his players for their abject performance, England's failures go way beyond the current squad, who are the best of an average lot. The problem is we simply do not create enough talented footballers.

If you go to Spain and escape the typical tourist traps, you'll find narrow streets full of kids with the physiques of whippets playing one touch football with anything they can kick. So it's no surprise Spain has generated so many technically gifted footballers.

Yet things are very different in the UK. A lot of children are dumped in front of a playstation and fed a diet of crap food. The little hippos are more likely to develop diabetes than play Sunday league football. Those that are left are taught badly. In the words of Chris Waddle "we coach creativity out of our kids". We are taught to stand like statues, trap the ball, then pass, then run to a different position. It works in the championship downwards, but simply does not cut it in the Premier League. The few English players who make it to that level of out number by foreign imports, particularly in the better teams. This leaves the England manager with a very small pool of viable players to pick from, which is a sharp contrast with the better European teams where competition for places is much higher.

Man City have ploughed a lot of money into developing their youth training since their Arab take over. Despite have a populous catchment area that has proved a fertile breeding ground for footballers over the years, only 11 of the club's 33 strong development squad are English. It is quite telling.

So until we do something about our lazy fat kids and improve how we coach them, we won't see any change to England's footballing performance.

Oi stop stealing everything I've ever said about English football like I never said it yea. I even quoted you saying this with a link to an article and heard crickets.

@Rk2k14 say something. It's not just me saying it. Read the bold.

And the bold bit would get me e-slaughtered on here but apparently it's a popular theory besides me saying it. :colonhash:

I wonder who you support....Walcott is a worse version of sterling, loads of speed but no end product. Oxlade-chamberlain can't even get into the Arsenal team, Gibbs is a nothing player who didn't even play in half of arsenals games.

Carroll had a good second half of the season but we have three strikers who are better. Rashford and Carroll was a bit of a toss up.

The biggest selection mistake was Jack Wilshere, he's been overrated from day one and he's always injured

Posted from TSR Mobile
All you lot do is insult the individual and blame them for a game being lost. It's the managers and their *****y money hungry selections.
For as long as I have been following football (like 10-15 years on and off) people have made the same arguments about England, why they dpn't do better, why they don't produce technical young players, etc, etc, etc

Whats been done about it, a massive amount of **** all.

Germany and Spain revolutionised their entire football systems in about a decade, Belgium, Switzerland, Iceland and others have all improved massively by doing the simple things corectly in service of a long term goal. The English have moaned and complained and occasionally done a big gesture, which in the end means absolutely piss all.
Money.

They cared for a about 10 mins then they were back to luxury

if I performed like that at work I'd have my P45 instantly
we don't have a consistent lineup/strategy, it literally changes every game god damn clown fiesta
Original post by Kieran1996
Money.

They cared for a about 10 mins then they were back to luxury

if I performed like that at work I'd have my P45 instantly

People keep saying this but it's hardly like the other big teams aren't full of well paid players

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
People keep saying this but it's hardly like the other big teams aren't full of well paid players

True but Iceland do not have a team of well paid players

Although wages in England are astronomical compared to Geramany for example
Original post by Kieran1996
True but Iceland do not have a team of well paid players

Although wages in England are astronomical compared to Geramany for example

don't forget "big club bias", how the heck did only one player of the PL champions get called up (out of three of their regular XI)
the FA don't seem to understand that most English players play for pay rises, hence the English players playing for the teams that can already fund their Spice Boy lifestyle aren't necessarily any good or can play as a team
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by shawn_o1
don't forget "big club bias", how the heck did only one player of the PL champions get called up (out of three of their regular XI)
the FA don't seem to understand that most English players play for pay rises, hence the English players playing for the teams that can already fund their Spice Boy lifestyle aren't necessarily any good or can play as a team

I agree with this

It shocked me that so little of the Leicester team were there

They would have given Iceland a run for their money *cough*

Latest