The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Education studies primary (BA) Oct 2016

Hi,
I'm starting the education studies (primary) in October. I'll be doing 120 credits over one year, so the E102 and E103 modules.
Anyone else doing this course?
Looking forward to getting started :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Rmk90
Hi,
I'm starting the education studies (primary) in October. I'll be doing 120 credits over one year, so the E102 and E103 modules.
Anyone else doing this course?
Looking forward to getting started :smile:

Hello, i am starting this course on a part time basis with module E103. Im waiting ti get more details so i can start!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by TanyaM82
Hello, i am starting this course on a part time basis with module E103. Im waiting ti get more details so i can start!

Hi! Are you starting in October? I'm all enrolled and everything, so just a waiting game now. Where abouts are you from?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi guys. I currently have a space reserved on E103 (pending confirmation of student loan). I'm looking at doing this as Open degree mixed with another subject (computing probably, maybe science).

At the moment before confirming i desperately need to find out exactly what is needed in the way of time with kids, I work in an education related area but not directly with kids every day and ghe course specs aren`t clear about it! Any idea where I can find out?
Reply 4
Original post by Sarah_Brighton
Hi guys. I currently have a space reserved on E103 (pending confirmation of student loan). I'm looking at doing this as Open degree mixed with another subject (computing probably, maybe science).

At the moment before confirming i desperately need to find out exactly what is needed in the way of time with kids, I work in an education related area but not directly with kids every day and ghe course specs aren`t clear about it! Any idea where I can find out?

I was wondering the same. I'm assuming it won't be the whole time maybe a placement at some point but I don't think we'll find out till it starts. Could always call the main open uni number to see if they can give you any info or a number/email of someone who can.
Hi guys,

So I rang OU today and spoke to a lovely friendly advisor :smile:

They advised me that the OU don't set a specific amount of hours, but as a guide about 2 weeks of classroom experience (formal classroom lessons, not after school clubs etc) over the course of the module. So over 8 months that's odd days here and there really. More info below copied and pasted from their email.

Hopefully this is good news for you both, but if not maybe ring them before panicking :smile:

I've just registered and done my student finance application, eep!

Sarah

-------------
During E103, students will develop their understanding of the ways in which teachers teach, the curriculum that guides children’s learning, the activities that children do, and professional decision making in schools. In particular, the module will give students an insight into learning and teaching in the curriculum areas of English, maths and science.

Students who are not already working with a classroom setting need to negotiate opportunities to spend some time in a formal educational setting for children aged 3-12 throughout the module, to observe teaching and learning and gain exposure to a practice context.

Through studying E103, students will acquire:

knowledge of the nature of primary education today
insights into how children learn, and what adults can do to promote their learning
an understanding of the principles that underpin primary education policy and classroom practice
an awareness of some current theories and research that support primary education
insights into issues relating to race equality and social inclusion and the implications for practice
an appreciation of the complementary nature of home and school learning and the role of parents and the family in children’s education

skills related to academic reading and writing, including studying effectively online
the ability to plan for and review your own academic and professional learning

As we discussed, the Faculty have not requested a set number of hours for your classroom practice. However, we would recommend that you opt for a "little and often" approach and build up your experience over the duration of the module, rather than doing it all in one chunk.
Reply 6
Hi guys,

So I rang OU today and spoke to a lovely friendly advisor :smile:

They advised me that the OU don't set a specific amount of hours, but as a guide about 2 weeks of classroom experience (formal classroom lessons, not after school clubs etc) over the course of the module. So over 8 months that's odd days here and there really. More info below copied and pasted from their email.

Hopefully this is good news for you both, but if not maybe ring them before panicking :smile:

I've just registered and done my student finance application, eep!

Sarah

-------------
During E103, students will develop their understanding of the ways in which teachers teach, the curriculum that guides children’s learning, the activities that children do, and professional decision making in schools. In particular, the module will give students an insight into learning and teaching in the curriculum areas of English, maths and science.

Students who are not already working with a classroom setting need to negotiate opportunities to spend some time in a formal educational setting for children aged 3-12 throughout the module, to observe teaching and learning and gain exposure to a practice context.

Through studying E103, students will acquire:

knowledge of the nature of primary education today
insights into how children learn, and what adults can do to promote their learning
an understanding of the principles that underpin primary education policy and classroom practice
an awareness of some current theories and research that support primary education
insights into issues relating to race equality and social inclusion and the implications for practice
an appreciation of the complementary nature of home and school learning and the role of parents and the family in children’s education

skills related to academic reading and writing, including studying effectively online
the ability to plan for and review your own academic and professional learning

As we discussed, the Faculty have not requested a set number of hours for your classroom practice. However, we would recommend that you opt for a "little and often" approach and build up your experience over the duration of the module, rather than doing it all in one chunk.

Oh fab! Thanks for passing this info on. Yes good news for me as I'll be doing 2 modules on a full time basis, so that will be manageable. Not long now, looking forward to the materials being delivered so I can try and get a bit of a headstart :smile:
Yeah, everyone seems to say make sure you get ahead and stay there, so you have a bit of a buffer for real life happening. I'm doing this on top of a FT job so eep!
Reply 8
Yeah, everyone seems to say make sure you get ahead and stay there, so you have a bit of a buffer for real life happening. I'm doing this on top of a FT job so eep!

Oh wow you're brave! I have 3 daughters 5,7&8 so I can study while they're at school all day but won't have much time eves and weekends, espesh as one of my daughters has autism and is up all hours. I think the daytime hours will be more than enough though and worst case is I just have to cut down to one module next year. I haven't studied in ages so I just hope my brain cooperates.
Reply 9
Thank you for finding out that information. I will need to start looking for a placement now! I will be studying around my full time job and only my partner knows as i may be using this towards a career change! Eeek
Reply 10
This could have been me that typed this Tanya lol.

Not sure how I'm going to fit a placement in but will need to come up with a plan of action
(edited 7 years ago)
Really MP14? I'm glad that I'm not the only one! Ive started to enail some schools local to me to see if they would consider having me and have not heard back from any of them yet :-( there may be better luck in the new term. I wonder if our tutor will have any recommendations for us of how or where to approach?
Well, we all have different situations, I think you're brave having 3 kids @RMK90 :biggrin:

Have to admit I'm slightly scared of my time management/self motivation abilities, I've got myself some books (OU The Good Study Guide which is about £2 second hand on amazon) and Dummies Guide to Time Management for some pre-course reading!

Re. looking for a placement - I have one tip to give as I work with schools (but not in a way that will count for classrom exp sadly)... which is primary schools don't respond to emails! Ever! I would also imagine at this time of year (just before hols) the teachers will be looking forward to a break and not thinking about September!

My plan is to get contacting people in early September by
phone/in writing :smile: I've spoken to a couple of related people and they don't seem to think it would be too hard to get classroom experience, though expect to need a current DBS certificate (enhanced disclosure for working with young people) and a letter confirming you're studying.
Reply 13
Just wondering if you have all found the Facebook group for this module?
Original post by Rmk90
Just wondering if you have all found the Facebook group for this module?

No I haven't, would you mind telling me the name of the group?
Reply 15
Original post by TanyaM82
No I haven't, would you mind telling me the name of the group?

The group is called OU E103 Learing and teaching in the primary years Oct 2016 (type exactly like that should come up) we have also set up a whatsapp study group.
The overall education studies degree page is Q94 Education Studies (Primary)
Reply 16
Hello,

I'm starting E102 & E103 this year. Can you reccommend any books to read over the summer to give me a head start?
How have you found the first year?

Thanks!
Hi I'm thinking of enrolling for the primary education degree full time through OU whilst working part time, how have you all found OU? Do you feel you get support as I have heard some mixed reviews. Thanks
Hi I'm thinking of enrolling for the primary education degree full time through OU whilst working part time, how have you all found OU? Do you feel you get support as I have heard some mixed reviews. Thanks
Wow just seen your post I’m looking to start Oct 2018, part time and the same as my daughter has autism so hoping will go well xxx

Quick Reply

Latest