The Student Room Group

Chances of landing a spring week/internship

If you got to a target uni say, LSE or UCL- what are your realistic chances of being successful, or do you need a lot of extra circular and work experience.
Original post by ihatehannah
If you got to a target uni say, LSE or UCL- what are your realistic chances of being successful, or do you need a lot of extra circular and work experience.

The chances are still low, even from a target because everyone and their dogs will be applying. You most certainly need to stand out in as many ways as possible to get through.

Normal 'base' chances are 25-50 apps per 1 place, but as a 'bog standard' target student it's more ~1/8 to 1/15. If you're a top candidate however, you'll have a lot of success. I know friends with 6-10+ spring week offers - some target uni students and some semi-target.

So it depends but competition is, without a doubt, steep.

Extra curriculars and work experience are incredibly important - but again don't just do them to tick CV points do them out of interest. Let's just say top candidates don't only have good grades and good grades/uni alone will probably not help as much as you think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
The chances are still low, even from a target because everyone and their dogs will be applying. You most certainly need to stand out in as many ways as possible to get through.

Normal 'base' chances are 25-50 apps per 1 place, but as a 'bog standard' target student it's more ~1/8 to 1/15. If you're a top candidate however, you'll have a lot of success. I know friends with 6-10+ spring week offers - some target uni students and some semi-target.

So it depends but competition is, without a doubt, steep.

Posted from TSR Mobile

and how can I be a 'top candidate' , any ideas.
and how can I be a 'top candidate' , any ideas.

If you have to ask, you probably aren't one ahahahaha

But seriously, it's a misnomer of a question. The top candidates I'm talking about have been naturally leading things, networking, getting finance work experience etc very early on. They're the type of seriously switched on individuals that are just all around top notch - personality, grades, experience etc the whole gamut.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But seriously, it's a misnomer of a question. The top candidates I'm talking about have been naturally leading things, networking, getting finance work experience etc very early on. They're the type of seriously switched on individuals that are just all around top notch - personality, grades, experience etc the whole gamut.

Posted from TSR Mobile

not gonna lie, I just finished GCSEs and worrying a lot because I do not have any relevant work experience so far- do many successful applicants have decent amount of financial work experience at my age?
not gonna lie, I just finished GCSEs and worrying a lot because I do not have any relevant work experience so far- do many successful applicants have decent amount of financial work experience at my age?

Oh, you're in a good spot then! No need to worry about all of this chance stuff now.

You have 2 ish years to get involved with stuff: if your school doesn't have a finance club make one, get a prefect seat of some sort, when the time comes - apply for insight days (some are open to year 12s e.g. Nomura), volunteer, get the best A-level grades you can etc..

Again, don't just do this stuff to tick boxes genuinely try to get involved with things you care about.

You're well ahead of the curve by asking this now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a big factor but not necessarily - by all means try to get some experience (if you have no contacts whatsoever from family or friends, try cold calling or LinkedIn) but the best thing would to be make sure you get into a target
Oh, you're in a good spot then! No need to worry about all of this chance stuff now.

You have 2 ish years to get involved with stuff: if your school doesn't have a finance club make one, get a prefect seat of some sort, when the time comes - apply for insight days (some are open to year 12s e.g. Nomura), volunteer, get the best A-level grades you can etc..

Again, don't just do this stuff to tick boxes genuinely try to get involved with things you care about.

You're well ahead of the curve by asking this now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much! I I've heard these insight days during a-level are very competitive, how competitive exactly- is being predicted high grades good enough?
Thank you very much! I I've heard these insight days during a-level are very competitive, how competitive exactly- is being predicted high grades good enough?

Same spiel: work experience, extra curriculars, good grades, if y13: offers from targets/semi-targets/good unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
learn how to spin and have it reflected on your cv

Posted from TSR Mobile

The cringey thing is that he thinks he's describing himself here.
Original post by anonwinner
The cringey thing is that he thinks he's describing himself here.

I'm describing friends that have had success through finance recruiting - not me. The point was, the top candidates wouldn't be on TSR asking how to be top they'd be out there being top.

Posted from TSR Mobile
97.50% (+/- 2.50%)

95-100% range

for atleast one person in the student population to get an offer.
Original post by gr8wizard10
97.50% (+/- 2.50%)

95-100% range

Looooooooooool

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're a standard target uni student with an assumed 1/15 chance of getting an offer per place and you apply to 15 banks then yeah statistically you're going to get 1 offer.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
If you're a standard target uni student with an assumed 1/15 chance of getting an offer per place and you apply to 15 banks then yeah statistically you're going to get 1 offer.

Looking at my friends, that is sort of true

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending