Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Why is my back flow not working D2?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I am trying to do June 2014 R for D2 and Q5 is flow augmenting. I managed to get a max flow of 104 but the mark scheme says 102. I checked one of my paths and it leads to a back flow of 3 down a 10 capacity arc. However this leads to conservation of flow not being true anymore.

Does anyone know why this is and if I need to use the entire capacity of an arc for a back flow?

(Original post by BinaryJava)
    I checked one of my paths and it leads to a back flow of 3 down a 10 capacity arc.
    When doing backflow, it's not the capacity that's important, it's how much is flowing through the arc already. Because when doing backflow, you're decreasing the flow along that arc.

When doing flow augmenting I ignore the direction of the actual flow, and just look at the forward/backward arrows. Once you've got numbers on all of those (which you're mostly given already in this paper) you don't need to know what direction it's actually going in!

EDIT: I'll take a look at the exact question now and I'll post my solution if you've not got it by then.

Name:  DSC_0002.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  356.0 KB

Edit: hit submit early, oops.

Here's my workings. It's really messy because I've not done this for a while - sorry! Yours will probably look nicer than this. But hopefully what you can see is that I've not used arrows on my arcs - that's because it's best to simply ignore them. The flow-augmenting paths don't require you to know what the direction actually is.

(however, when determining which arcs are saturated, it's important to look at direction since otherwise you can't tell the difference between a saturated arc, and an arc with no flow.)
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read here first

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.