The Student Room Group

A Summer of Maths (ASoM) 2016

Scroll to see replies

This sounds interesting. I'm doing A levels next year but I think it will be fun to learn some of this stuff. :biggrin:
Reply 61
Original post by 16Characters....
Hmm. I'm way too nervous about results day to start preparing for uni maths haha.

Agreed!! I'm much the same, bit hypocritical since I made the thread, but it's more for the benefit of the others who are fairly sure they have 1's and S's whilst I'm too nervous about my 2 to do anything properly. :lol:
Reply 62
Original post by Kryptonian
This sounds interesting. I'm doing A levels next year but I think it will be fun to learn some of this stuff. :biggrin:

You're welcome to do so, but if you're doing A-Levels next year, then this thread might be a bit out of your reach, since it deals with first year uni work. :smile:
Original post by Zacken
You're welcome to do so, but if you're doing A-Levels next year, then this thread might be a bit out of your reach, since it deals with first year uni work. :smile:

Unless he is jim leck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Im gna let it sit at my desk and not use it so I know how you feel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Consider the equation zn=1z^n = 1. The coefficient of zn1z^{n-1} is the sum of all roots." is that Vieta's formula?

Also, if w=exp(2πin)w = \exp(\frac{2\pi i}{n}) and wn1=(w1)(1+w+w2+...+wn1) w^n - 1 = (w-1)(1+w+w^2+...+w^{n-1}) where w1w \neq 1, then why is wn1w1=0\frac{w^n - 1}{w -1} = 0 when trying to show that 1+w+w2+...+wn1=01 + w + w^2 + ... + w^{n-1} = 0 ?
Original post by physicsmaths
Unless he is jim leck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or physicsmaths... after his two gap years.
Reply 66
Original post by Insight314
"Consider the equation zn=1z^n = 1. The coefficient of zn1z^{n-1} is the sum of all roots." is that Vieta's formula?

Yes (ish). Think about expanding the polynomial (zz1)(zz2)(zzn)(z-z_1)(z-z_2) \cdots (z-z_n). The coefficient of zn1z^{n-1} is the ((1)n1(-1)^{n-1} of) the sum of the roots.

Also, if w=exp(2πin)w = \exp(\frac{2\pi i}{n}) and wn1=(w1)(1+w+w2+...+wn1) w^n - 1 = (w-1)(1+w+w^2+...+w^{n-1}) where w1w \neq 1, then why is wn1w1=0\frac{w^n - 1}{w -1} = 0 when trying to show that 1+w+w2+...+wn1=01 + w + w^2 + ... + w^{n-1} = 0 ?

Roots of unity, so wn1=0w^n - 1 = 0 but then it follows that the latter bracket must be 0 for w1w \neq 1 then geometric series, i.e: sum of the first nn terms with first term 11 and common ratio ww.
(edited 7 years ago)

Geometric sum of the right bracket since one is zero.
Well yeh its application of vietas formula yeh. The wiki page covers it rather well for general terms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wn1=0 w^n - 1 = 0 by definition, since we is an nth root of unity.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by JackHKeynes
... by definition, since we is an nth root of unity.

You'll want to use [noparse] and not [noparse][\latex][/noparse].

(it's not by definition, it's because ww is a nnth root of unity).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
x

This looks amazing, such a shame I don't have the brain for advanced maths haha. Can you recommend me any resources over the summer to bridge the gap from GCSE to A-level maths? It's been 5 years since I've done maths GCSE and I acheived a B grade. I'm looking at starting an A-level in maths this september coming if my university back up plan does not work out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Agreed!! I'm much the same, bit hypocritical since I made the thread, but it's more for the benefit of the others who are fairly sure they have 1's and S's whilst I'm too nervous about my 2 to do anything properly. :lol:

I'm sure you'll be fine :-)

I think I might teach myself the rest of M3 and 4. There is no M5 with MEI but they used to go up to M6 so that might be the extention :-)
Reply 72
Original post by 16Characters....
I'm sure you'll be fine :-)

I think I might teach myself the rest of M3 and 4. There is no M5 with MEI but they used to go up to M6 so that might be the extention :-)

I've heard some very interesting things about those mechanics modules, stuff like intrinsic co-ordinates and the likes. I think I saw a few resources on the really old A-Level spec with all those things, if I ever track them down again I'll let you know. :-)
Right, thanks guys. I don't know why I was this silly not to see the initial point of the argument i.e that it is roots of unity so it must be zero haha.

Btw, check out what I just printed out. :smile:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1467147003.088446.jpg

Anyone have an idea how I can staple the whole thing though? It's 35 double-sided pages lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
I've heard some very interesting things about those mechanics modules, stuff like intrinsic co-ordinates and the likes. I think I saw a few resources on the really old A-Level spec with all those things, if I ever track them down again I'll let you know. :-)

Tee Em once posted a good intrinsic co-ordinates question, and in the same thread people linked the old Edexcel M6 stuff
Reply 75
Anyone have an idea how I can staple the whole thing though? It's 35 double-sided pages lol.

Get it binded.
Right, thanks guys. I don't know why I was this silly not to see the initial point of the argument i.e that it is roots of unity so it must be zero haha.

Btw, check out what I just printed out. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Use a binder clip. Much neater and easier to take out individual notes so things don't get messy

Original post by Zacken
Get it binded.
Or that
Thanks for quoting the whole thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
Get it binded.

You mean spiral binding? How do I even do that lol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for quoting the whole thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you going to answer my question or just make snarky comments?

Quick Reply

Latest