The Student Room Group

Why is everyone obsessed with democracy

"But muh democracy" -everyone

Democracy is just as flawed a system as a dictatorship, it relies on the fact that the people who are voting are informed and are making decisions out of personal preference once analysing both sides.

When the reality is neither the majority of leave, nor remain voters were informed (My assumptive opinion comes in to say that I believe the amount of leave voters that were informed are a lot more disperse and rare than remain).

The EU wasn't truly democratic, but their laws were always in good ethic and supported citizens of the UK. Meanwhile everyone here goes on about it when the only democratic thing about the UK is our general election lol
So what do you suggest?

Original post by Joeyzanelli
"But muh democracy" -everyone

Democracy is just as flawed a system as a dictatorship, it relies on the fact that the people who are voting are informed and are making decisions out of personal preference once analysing both sides.

When the reality is neither the majority of leave, nor remain voters were informed (My assumptive opinion comes in to say that I believe the amount of leave voters that were informed are a lot more disperse and rare than remain).

The EU wasn't truly democratic, but their laws were always in good ethic and supported citizens of the UK. Meanwhile everyone here goes on about it when the only democratic thing about the UK is our general election lol

UK made it, and meant to represent it.
it would be cruel stereotyping to picture Brexiters moving their finger slowly across the Daily Fail with a puzzled expression in their slightly too close together eyes as their nylon trousers generated alarming amounts of static electricity. i would not stoop to that.
'Two cheers for democracy' It's flawed but the alternative is hellish. If the elites of Europe try and deny it, led by the lot in the UK, Europe will be plunged into chaos and insurrection.
Original post by the bear
it would be cruel stereotyping to picture Brexiters moving their finger slowly across the Daily Fail with a puzzled expression in their slightly too close together eyes as their nylon trousers generated alarming amounts of static electricity. i would not stoop to that.

Actually I have sat near my palm trees and eaten a curry. I did have a #FullEnglishBrexit on the 'morning of glory' though, just to satisfy the little Englander in me....
(edited 7 years ago)
The democracies that have delivered peace and prosperity have been parliamentary democracies - not referendum votes.

As we are learning, the winning side ends up being blocked by a losing side that won't cooperate. Unlike in a parliamentary democracy where even the government has to explain itself and often win some of the support of the opposition.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending