Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My mum is throwing a tantrum because I'm moving out

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I am 23 years old and I'm an only child. I've been living at home all my life and I just got a new job out of the city so I will need to find a place to rent. The commute time is between 90 minutes to 2 hours each way on a good day but my mum insists that this is perfectly fine and that I'm moving out to waste money because I have a good salary.

I told her that I cannot handle that kind of journey time every day but she thinks I'm being lazy. She's spewing all this propaganda about how I could get into drugs and saying that my flatmates could be horrible.

She's throwing a tantrum and refusing to speak to me now, not giving me any support and not willing to help me move my stuff to my new place.

What do I do? I have tried to convince her but she doesn't listen. Everyone else says I should move out but my mum doesn't care and only cares about her opinion

Seriously, just move out. Tell your mother if she doesn't accept it you'll never speak to her again and that you need to get away and be independent sooner or later. If she carries on, just tell her you'll estrange yourself.

She's losing her baby, but she'll get over it. Just visit her regularly.

Buy her presents and visit her often.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol do whatever the **** you want to man. Move out. You're a man now. Just send your stuff through a moving company or something.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What were/are your predicted grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.