The Student Room Group

Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RDKGames
How would I go about b. ii? I found the constant distance to be 2a in prev part but I'm not sure where to begin for this one.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1470131704.087734.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you get that the coordinates of M are (acos2ϕ,asinϕcosϕ) (a\cos^{2}{\phi},a\sin{\phi}\cos{\phi}) ? If so, then the next part, you can do by verification.

Edit: this is the Cartesian coordinates.

Alternatively, if you do not seek the method of verification, you can do so by doing this:

As X=acos2ϕ X = a\cos^{2}{\phi} we can use the fact that cos2ϕ=12(1+cos2ϕ) \cos^{2}{\phi} = \frac{1}{2}(1+\cos{2\phi}) so we get that 2Xa=(1+cos2ϕ) \dfrac{2X}{a} = (1 + \cos{2\phi}) so we can obtain that cos22ϕ=(2Xaa)2 \cos^{2}{2\phi} = \Big( \dfrac{2X - a}{a}\Big)^{2}

Using the similar approach, notice that Y=a2sin2ϕ Y = \frac{a}{2}\sin{2\phi} Hence, sin22ϕ=(2Ya)2 \sin^{2}{2\phi} = \Big( \dfrac{2Y}{a} \Big)^{2} .Using sin22ϕ+cos22ϕ=1(2Xaa)2+(2Ya)2=1 \sin^{2}{2\phi} + \cos^{2}{2\phi} = 1 \Longrightarrow \Big( \dfrac{2X-a}{a} \Big)^{2} + \Big( \dfrac{2Y}{a} \Big)^{2} = 1 .

Rearranging, 4X24aX+a2+4Y2=a2X2+Y2=aX 4X^{2} - 4aX + a^{2} + 4Y^{2} = a^{2} \Longrightarrow X^{2} + Y^{2} = aX Notice for any varying θ \theta and r r we can say that X=rcosθ,Y=rsinθ X = r\cos{\theta}, Y = r\sin{\theta} .

Finally, notice that X2+Y2=r2 X^{2} + Y^{2} = r^2 . Therefore r2=arcosθ r^2 = ar\cos{\theta} .

We can cancel the r, aslong as C2 C_{2} covers the point at the pole i.e at θ=±π2 \theta = \pm \frac{\pi}{2} .

This will give us the required result.
(edited 7 years ago)
C: r=asin(2θ)r=a\sqrt{sin(2\theta)}

Someone explain to me what I am doing wrong here, the answer is 2a22a^2.

Their answer is obviously nonsensical (analytically and geometrically) unless the curve is meant to be r=2asinθr = 2a\sqrt{\sin \theta}.
Original post by AMarques
Did you get that the coordinates of M are (acos2ϕ,asinϕcosϕ) (a\cos^{2}{\phi},a\sin{\phi}\cos{\phi}) ? If so, then the next part, you can do by verification.

Edit: this is the Cartesian coordinates.

Alternatively, if you do not seek the method of verification, you can do so by doing this:

As X=acos2ϕ X = a\cos^{2}{\phi} we can use the fact that cos2ϕ=12(1+cos2ϕ) \cos^{2}{\phi} = \frac{1}{2}(1+\cos{2\phi}) so we get that 2Xa=(1+cos2ϕ) \dfrac{2X}{a} = (1 + \cos{2\phi}) so we can obtain that cos22ϕ=(2Xaa)2 \cos^{2}{2\phi} = \Big( \dfrac{2X - a}{a}\Big)^{2}

Using the similar approach, notice that Y=a2sin2ϕ Y = \frac{a}{2}\sin{2\phi} Hence, sin22ϕ=(2Ya)2 \sin^{2}{2\phi} = \Big( \dfrac{2Y}{a} \Big)^{2} .Using sin22ϕ+cos22ϕ=1(2Xaa)2+(2Ya)2=1 \sin^{2}{2\phi} + \cos^{2}{2\phi} = 1 \Longrightarrow \Big( \dfrac{2X-a}{a} \Big)^{2} + \Big( \dfrac{2Y}{a} \Big)^{2} = 1 .

Rearranging, 4X24aX+a2+4Y2=a2X2+Y2=aX 4X^{2} - 4aX + a^{2} + 4Y^{2} = a^{2} \Longrightarrow X^{2} + Y^{2} = aX Notice for any varying θ \theta and r r we can say that X=rcosθ,Y=rsinθ X = r\cos{\theta}, Y = r\sin{\theta} .

Finally, notice that X2+Y2=r2 X^{2} + Y^{2} = r^2 . Therefore r2=arcosθ r^2 = ar\cos{\theta} .

We can cancel the r, aslong as C2 C_{2} covers the point at the pole i.e at θ=±π2 \theta = \pm \frac{\pi}{2} .

This will give us the required result.

Your working out makes sense and it gets the right answer, however I'm unsure how the get the co-ordinates of M. I'm not used to working with lines in polar form. I can see that the line's equation is θ=ϕ\theta=\phi but I'm unsure what substitutions go where to get it. I can only see M being (acosϕ,asinϕ)(acos\phi,asin\phi)
(edited 7 years ago)
Your working out makes sense and it gets the right answer, however I'm unsure how the get the co-ordinates of M. I'm not used to working with lines in polar form. I can see that the line's equation is θ=ϕ\theta=\phi but I'm unsure what substitutions go where to get it.

I basically turned both equations into Cartesian form, and then subbed one into the other and made x the subject. By doing this, I get three x-coordinates (including the pole which we don't count as either A or B), and hence three y-coordinates.

For the polar equation θ=ϕ \theta = \phi this is the same as y=tanϕx y = \tan{\phi}x in Cartesian form. For C1 C_{1} we get x2+y2=a(x±x2+y2) x^{2} + y^{2} = a(x \pm \sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2}}) the + sign for a > 0, and - for a < 0.

We then sub tanϕx \tan{\phi}x for y y in the second equation. By doing this, we can find both A and B, and then M will just be the average of the x/y coordinates.

Out of curiosity how did you find the distance AB without finding A and B explicitly?
(edited 7 years ago)
I basically turned both equations into Cartesian form, and then subbed one into the other and made x the subject. By doing this, I get three x-coordinates (including the pole which we don't count as either A or B), and hence three y-coordinates.

For the polar equation θ=ϕ \theta = \phi this is the same as y=tanϕx y = \tan{\phi}x in Cartesian form. For C1 C_{1} we get x2+y2=a(x±x2+y2) x^{2} + y^{2} = a(x \pm \sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2}}) the + sign for a > 0, and - for a < 0.

We then sub tanϕx \tan{\phi}x for y y in the second equation. By doing this, we can find both A and B, and then M will just be the average of the x/y coordinates.

Out of curiosity how did you find the distance AB without finding A and B explicitly?

To find the distance, I firstly knew that θ=ϕ\theta=\phi and used that substitution into r=a(1+cosθ)r=a(1+cos\theta) and that would give me intersection point A as a function of ϕ\phi.
For point B (and I'm not entirely sure how to explain this properly), I simply imagined that line at angle ϕ\phi above the initial line OL and the angle of πϕ\pi-\phi clockwise, below OL, would give the second point, therefore B would be rB=a(1+cos[(πϕ)])=a(1cosϕ)r_B=a(1+cos[-(\pi-\phi)])=a(1-cos\phi).

Since r represents the length, I simply added rAr_A and rBr_B: AB=a(1+cosϕ)+a(1cosϕ)AB=a(1+cos\phi)+a(1-cos\phi) thus giving 2a2a which is a constant in dependent of ϕ\phi that I required.
(edited 7 years ago)
Your working out makes sense and it gets the right answer, however I'm unsure how the get the co-ordinates of M. I'm not used to working with lines in polar form. I can see that the line's equation is θ=ϕ\theta=\phi but I'm unsure what substitutions go where to get it. I can only see M being (acosϕ,asinϕ)(acos\phi,asin\phi)

At point A the coordinates are (acosϕ(1+cosϕ),asinϕ(1+cosϕ)) (a\cos \phi (1+\cos \phi ), a\sin \phi (1+\cos \phi )) and the coordinates at B are (acos(ϕπ)(1+cos(ϕπ),asin(ϕπ)(1+cos(ϕπ))) (a\cos (\phi - \pi )(1+\cos (\phi - \pi ),a\sin (\phi -\pi )(1+\cos (\phi -\pi ))) . You can simplify for B.
Then the coordinates of the midpoint at point M are (X,Y)=(12(xA+xb),12(yA+yB)) (X, Y) =(\frac{1}{2} (x_A + x_b) , \frac{1}{2} (y_A + y_B )) .
You can convert from parametric to Cartesian equation in X X and Y Y and then back to polar form.
(edited 7 years ago)
To find the distance, I firstly knew that θ=ϕ\theta=\phi and used that substitution into r=a(1+cosθ)r=a(1+cos\theta) and that would give me intersection point A as a function of ϕ\phi.
For point B (and I'm not entirely sure how to explain this properly), I simply imagined that line at angle ϕ\phi above the initial line OL and the angle of πϕ\pi-\phi clockwise, below OL, would give the second point, therefore B would be rB=a(1+cos[(πϕ)])=a(1cosϕ)r_B=a(1+cos[-(\pi-\phi)])=a(1-cos\phi).

Since r represents the length, I simply added rAr_A and rBr_B: AB=a(1+cosϕ)+a(1cosϕ)AB=a(1+cos\phi)+a(1-cos\phi) thus giving 2a2a which is a constant in dependent of ϕ\phi that I required.

Oh that is quite a nice way of doing it. However, not sure how using polar coordinates would work to find M. Does what I said previously make sense?

Edit: The post above explains how to do it :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh that is quite a nice way of doing it. However, not sure how using polar coordinates would work to find M. Does what I said previously make sense?

Edit: The post above explains how to do it :smile:

Yes it does make sense, thank you. :smile:

I've only started polar stuff yesterday so I do prefer turning everything into Cartesian as of now so I'll keep this method handy, along with my geometric observation as shown. Is there just a method to notice the intersections for A and B straight away or would I necessarily have to do some substitutions before deriving them?
Yes it does make sense, thank you. :smile:

I've only started polar stuff yesterday so I do prefer turning everything into Cartesian as of now so I'll keep this method handy, along with my geometric observation as shown. Is there just a method to notice the intersections for A and B straight away or would I necessarily have to do some substitutions before deriving them?

Using polar equations substitutions is normally the easiest method as demonstrated above, however there is no harm in doing Cartesian. When you say "notice the intersections" what do you mean? I normally sketch the given curves and it becomes apparent where they occur. In this case you could just substitute θ=ϕ \theta = \phi and θ=ϕπ \theta = \phi - \pi , but in more common polar coordinates questions you'll get, you will normally get equations of the form r=f(θ) r = f(\theta) (of course they can make it more complicated). In this case, you just substitute for r r and find the corresponding θ \theta and so on...

Glad I was helpful, let me know how the polar coordinates stuff goes.
[QUOTE=AMarques;66724118]Using polar equations substitutions is normally the easiest method as demonstrated above, however there is no harm in doing Cartesian. When you say "notice the intersections" what do you mean? I normally sketch the given curves and it becomes apparent where they occur. In this case you could just substitute θ=ϕ \theta = \phi and θ=ϕπ \theta = \phi - \pi , but in more common polar coordinates questions you'll get, you will normally get equations of the form r=f(θ) r = f(\theta) (of course they can make it more complicated). In this case, you just substitute for r r and find the corresponding θ \theta and so on...

Glad I was helpful, let me know how the polar coordinates stuff goes.

Ah yeah, thanks. I simply meant whether there is a fast way to get the points of interaction just by inspection. I'll post more polar stuff here which I may not understand so I can give you a tag if you're able to help further on this topic :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah yeah, thanks. I simply meant whether there is a fast way to get the points of interaction just by inspection. I'll post more polar stuff here which I may not understand so I can give you a tag if you're able to help further on this topic :smile:

Anytime!
Towards the end when it says "assuming that I has been found, the differential equation becomes..."

Where do they pluck that from? If I is as they define it there as e to the integral of P(x), where do they make that substitution? I am failing to understand how they get that line

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1470220492.982574.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Towards the end when it says "assuming that I has been found, the differential equation becomes..."

Where do they pluck that from? If I is as they define it there as e to the integral of P(x), where do they make that substitution? I am failing to understand how they get that line

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1470220492.982574.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

The second and third line of working out on the sheet should make you notice how they substituted it. As they have found I to be defined as eP.dx e^{\int P.dx} , then the result in line 3 and 4 of their working holds, so we can just substitute Idydx+IPy I\dfrac{dy}{dx} + IPy for ddx(Iy) \dfrac{d}{dx}(Iy) in line 2 of their working.
(edited 7 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, you have dydx+p(x)y=q(x)\frac{dy}{dx} + p(x) y =q(x) multiply this equation through by I(x)I(x) to get I(x)dydx+I(x)p(x)y=I(x)q(x)I(x) \frac{dy}{dx} + I(x)p(x) y = I(x)q(x). You would really like this to be an 'exact' differential equation, i.e: of the form ddx(R(x)y)=I(x)q(x)\frac{d}{dx}(R(x)y) = I(x)q(x) because then you can integrate both sides and be done.

Indeed, we want to choose an II such that ddx(I(x)y)\frac{d}{dx}(I(x)y) is the LHS of our differential equation. Differentiate that using the product rule to get I(x)dydx+I(x)yI(x) \frac{dy}{dx} + I'(x)y.

Once we have that, we're done since we get ddx(Iy)=I(x)q(x)Iy=I(x)q(x)dx\frac{d}{dx}(Iy) = I(x)q(x) \Rightarrow Iy = \int I(x)q(x) \, \mathrm{d}x and then divide both sides by I(x)I(x).

Notice how this almost looks like our original differential equation multiplied through by I(x)I(x)? Infact, the only thing that's different is that the coefficient of our yy term is I(x)I'(x) here and I(x)p(x)I(x) p(x) there. Since we want to choose I(x)I(x) such that ddx(Iy)=I(x)dydx+I(x)p(x)y\frac{d}{dx}(Iy) = I(x) \frac{dy}{dx} + I(x)p(x)y and hence allowing us to solve our differential equation, we need to make those two coefficients equal.

i.e: I(x)=I(x)p(x)I(x)=exp(p(x)dx)\displaystyle I(x) = I'(x) p(x) \Rightarrow I(x) = \exp \left(\int p(x) \, \mathrm{d}x\right).

That is the motivating thing to do here is to take a DE, multiply it through by a certain function that turns it into an exact differential equation; to find this function, it must satisfy the above.

Original post by Zacken

Ah thank you very much for the explanations. After spending much time and getting confused due to all the P's, Q's and I's, I managed to understand this finally. Had to prove to myself that IP=IIP=I' which made the substitution clear as you've mentioned.
Ah thank you very much for the explanations. After spending much time and getting confused due to all the P's, Q's and I's, I managed to understand this finally. Had to prove to myself that IP=IIP=I' which made the substitution clear as you've mentioned.

You're not proving that though, you're asserting it.
The answer for 2.b) is 196 but i got 256

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiiten

Posted from TSR Mobile

256 is correct.
Original post by B_9710
256 is correct.

Thanks - my teacher must have got it wrong then :wink:
Original post by kiiten

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is indeed 256. Also it's the area under the curve from -5 to 2, and above it from 2 to 3 (reference to the sketch).
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest